20ssh Props

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20ssh Props

Looking to run 20ssh since I moved up to MI and there are bunch of stock races nearby now. What size prop would work for a Y80? Just looking for broad strokes here to start testing. Would an A mod wheel work? Also what speeds should I be looking for?

Where are you living in MI? Amod wheels will be to stiff. Mark or I have something that would work for you.

12M

Comment

One thing I've learned over the years...any prop is worth trying...you just never know until you try it.
      As for speed...close to 65 will put you in top half of most fields.

Comment

CSH props and 20ssh props are pretty much interchangeable and will be in the ballpark with the Model 80 at the higher height of 1/2" for 20ssh .......

I suggest you use the SORC drill guide and machine only the bottom water pick up hole to the spec we published in the rulebook. I am sure you can find a good machinist to help out...))))

Comment

Another piece of information are the gear ratios... Y102 and Y302 are 14:15 or .933 and the Y80 is 14:16 or .875. And the other factor is the Y102 and Y302 are 24 cubic inches and the Y80 is 20 cubic inches.

Testing, testing, testing... that is the key.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

The Y80 has way more torque than the 102 and 300 series motors, it’s the way they develop HP, pyramid versus finger reed. That 14:16 ratio cannot be over looked, it allows you to pull an inch more of pitch. I find the Y80 way more forgiving when it comes to proping versus the C motors. Practically any prop could be the “one”, test everything.

Comment

Anyone else have higher rake props too close or hitting the snout on the 80?
              11P Joe Sees III

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
                Matt Dagostino commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a common problem! Dewald can re-drill the shear pin hole to deal with that issue. Always check for that issue before starting the engine. I learned the hard way years ago...

Originally posted by deeougee View Post
              The Y80 has way more torque than the 102 and 300 series motors, it’s the way they develop HP, pyramid versus finger reed. That 14:16 ratio cannot be over looked, it allows you to pull an inch more of pitch. I find the Y80 way more forgiving when it comes to proping versus the C motors. Practically any prop could be the “one”, test everything.

What pitch and diameter range for the Y80 have you found works
              "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post

What pitch and diameter range for the Y80 have you found works
                Like asking a pirate for his treasure map!

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                  ZUL8TR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not really, there is a lot more to set up than 2 prop numbers, as testing will reveal. When I was active in APBA I always shared info, good for the competition. His choice to reveal some basics.
              Working...
              X