No announcement yet.

Mercury Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the next challenge series race I remember was at Lake spanaway, hosted by tacoma inboard......again, it was a le mans start, but this time the race was run under a torential downpour.......u could not see 100 feet in front of u. I followed a d stock driver named Jon Heggenberger for 3 laps not being able to see anything due to the rain, all I could see was his roostertail. Oh man, was that scary.

Comment

I seem to also remember espn 2 or something running videos of the races on cable tv.....both the east coast and west coast stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
        I seem to also remember espn 2 or something running videos of the races on cable tv.....both the east coast and west coast stuff.
        Dave,

I do remember that also, but like you I don’t remember the Channel. I still have the produced video that was made for 1986 and I have had it converted to a DVD. This reminds me to watch it again.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe it was 'The Speed Channel' as i remember it................but i think the Merc Challenge footage ran at like 3am in the morning..lol

Matt.....you are correct. It was the Speed channel. I lived in Kirkland Washington during the years the series was active, and had no idea that it was being filmed and shown on cable....I was stunned one afternoon working on my rig outside my shop when a passerby stopped to look at my dsh rig and mentioned that he saw me on tv a few nights ago.....I thought he was kidding...but nope. If memory serves me correct it was a 30 minute show with highlights from all the races and stuff.

Comment

These videos on YouTube were all posted here in past discussions about the Mercury Challenge Series... I just used the search box and pulled them together for this thread.
          The videos are titled wrong on YouTube... I tried to put the correct race title in the short descriptions. According to the announcer at the end of the 1986 Dayton video, 1st race was Ocoee, FL, next was Dayton, then 3rd Silver Lake, NY
          1986 video clearly shows 25XS engines in long and short exhaust tower configuration and the 44's were 55H's painted black.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4UQcqqBryo (Whitney Point race)
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiUzt2ck-fs ( 1987 Oshkosh, WI race)
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqIEiHZ0dk (1986 Dayton, OH race)
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvEutpx9Qvo (1988 Saginaw, MI race)
          Last edited by 25xs; 11-13-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

The What's up Doc? Race team decided to go up north, driving all night. To a place called Grass Lake. Yes, it was full of grass that splashed against your boat. This challenge was different than any race I had been. Drivers were divided into two man teams, one runabout one hydro. The runabouts started first with a Leman start, then tagged the hydro driver. The winners split $500 dollars. I was lucky to win, because my team mate was David Dewald and his prop got him off the beach in no time.

Comment

Man...those videos bring back memories! Love it how those guys lug big D stock hydros out of the water with no cart......my first nationals were Wakefield 1990, did not know a soul. John Stone came up and introduced himseld...what a class act. First elim DSH I was in second or third, with Stone on my right hip for 3 laps.....at times his sponson tip was literally touching my boat....I did beat him by about 2 feet lol.

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
                Man...those videos bring back memories! Love it how those guys lug big D stock hydros out of the water with no cart......my first nationals were Wakefield 1990, did not know a soul. John Stone came up and introduced himseld...what a class act. First elim DSH I was in second or third, with Stone on my right hip for 3 laps.....at times his sponson tip was literally touching my boat....I did beat him by about 2 feet lol.
                Dave,

What kind of boat were you running then?
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                X