Fred Hauestein SR - Passing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Hauestein SR - Passing

Just got a note from Ziggy Boettle that Fred Hauenstein SR passed on today AM, 2 days short of his 92nd Birthday.

No word on arrangements obviously!

Our thoughts and prayers to the Hauenstein family in this time of sorrow.

Warbs
    64*W

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Hauestein family.

Jerry, Joyce and Jillian

Comment

deepest Sympathys

My deepest sympathys to the Hauenstein's
      We will keep you in our thoughts
      The Johnson Family

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Hauenstein family.

The Schaubs

Comment

Our sincerest condolences to the Hauestein family.

Comment

thoughts and prayers

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Hauenstein family.

Jennings family.

Comment

Our deepest sympathies go out to the entire Hauenstein family.

Jeff and Mary Williams
              Jeff
              5-P

Comment

Your In Our Thoughts & Prayers!
                17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Our sympathy to the whole Hauestein family
                  The Schertz family
                  PS
                  Some of us have only recently joined the Racing Family. would someone please share some memorys of Fred Sr. From the days he raced or after he retired as i am sure he still helped his family race after he quit driving. I for one never had the honor of meeting him and would like to know a little more about him.
                  Thanks Kevin

Comment

Hauenstein Posterity

What a legacy this man has left behind: A great racing family with impeccable integrity and good sportsmanship. Mr. Hauenstein, I'm sure, was very proud of his family's accomplishments in and contributions to boat racing. May God grant him eternal peace. Ed Hearn.
                    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Hauestein family. But just think of the great company he has up on Lake Paridise.
                      Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

History and Arrangements

From Fred Jr.:

Fred W. Hauenstein
                        January 3, 1914 – January 1, 2006

Frederick William Hauenstein was born in Denver, Colorado on January 3, 1914, the only child of Frederick and Mary (Kouns) Hauenstein. In 1922 the family settled in the Exeter, California area where Fred, Sr. grew grapes. Fred attended schools in Exeter, graduating from Exeter High School where he was active in all sports and social affairs. He studied divinity and law at the University of Missouri in Columbia, MO, where he was a star on the university track team. (He ran a best of 9.7 seconds in the 100-yard dash!)

Returning to California, he worked on the family farm and, assisted by his father, became interested in outboard powerboat racing in 1939 – a hobby that he passed down to his sons and grandsons. Also through his father, Fred acquired a love of hunting and deep-sea fishing. He spent much time on the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of California.

Raised in an era that saw the rapid development of the automobile, Fred gained a life-long appreciation for cars, both old and new. He collected some great examples of older cars in later years and enjoyed working with them.

Fred married Frances Coffee in 1941 and they have enjoyed 64 years of married life together. They lived in Southern California during WW-II and worked for Lockheed Aircraft in the war effort.

Returning to the San Joaquin Valley, Fred became a Teamster and drove over-the-road trucks, as well as distributing gasoline and diesel fuel with his own tank truck. The couple started a truck stop and opened for business in Kingsburg in 1953. Fred’s Truck Fuels and Café became a successful Kingsburg landmark on Highway 99.

In 1956 Fred returned to his boat racing hobby. In 1957 and 1958 he won the American Power Boat Association national amateur high point championship (the Paul Sawyer Medal).

By the 1960s he was involved in his life-long dream of flying through the sport of soaring. He decided to take up powered flight and eventually owned several airplanes, culminating in a project in which he built his own aerobatic airplane (partly at home, in the dining room!). He became proficient at aerobatics, as well. For a time he did part-time work as a sheriff’s deputy, transporting prisoners by airplane between state and county facilities in California.

Fred was a member of the Quiet Birdmen, the American Power Boat Association, Northern California Outboard Association, the Kingsburg Kiwanis Club, the Rotary Club, the Kingsburg Gun Club, the Horseless Carriage Club of America, the Antique Outboard Motor Club, the Soaring Society of America, the Experimental Aircraft Association and was a charter member of the Kingsburg Golf and Country Club.

Mr. Hauenstein is survived by his wife, Frances; two sons, Fred M. (Linda Scheline) Hauenstein of Oshkosh, WI, Don Hauenstein of Seward, AK and daughter-in-law Kathy Hauenstein of Weatherford, TX; Grandchildren Dan (Kristy) Hauenstein of San Carlos, CA, Mike (Kate) Hauenstein of New Haven, CT, Hilary (Brad) Carpenter of Gilbert, AZ, Raina Hauenstein, USAF, Ira Hauenstein of Seneca, MO, Casandra King of San Luis Obispo, CA, Jack Hauenstein of Seward, AK, and five great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by one son, James F. Hauenstein; and a granddaughter, Melcena Hauenstein.

A memorial service will be held at the Evangelical Covenant Church, 1490 Lincoln Street, Kingsburg, CA, 93631, (corner of Lincoln and Draper) at 10 am Saturday, January 7, 2006.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations in his memory be made to the charity of the donor’s choice.

Interesting History Here!!!

Warbs
                        64*W

Comment

our prayers to the hauenstein family. reading all of apba members thoughts makes us here at thunderracing very proud to be apart of the apba family chuck,lin and girls 280-p

Comment

Words from Fred Miller

Hello, Fred, Linda, Frances and all the Hauenstein Family:

Sorry to hear about Fred, Sr. passing. Probably the first time I met the 2 Fred's
                            would have been at the Depue PRO (then Alky) Nationals in 1960. I was
                            racing BRR and didn't know many Alky guys back then. But I knew of the
                            Hauenstein's as top runner's from California! I would have been 21 at the time,
                            so not sure if Fred Jr. was competing at that time or not?

In later years, certainly the legacy of the racing Hauenstein's grew to enormous
                            portions. Obviously Fred Sr. gets the credit for at least 5 Hauenstein's becoming
                            National Champion Boat Racer's in one category or another of the APBA!

In my later years, Fred Sr. would show up from time to time to watch Fred and
                            his 2 son's compete at races I attended. The 3 Fred's would always make time to
                            have a pleasant chat about things boat racers talk about (boat racing, what else).
                            He was one of those people that I sure felt honored to have met. I have found
                            that as we age, we look back on the past memories we have experienced and
                            certainly Fred Jr. and I have been friend and foe more than a few times! But
                            the boy's of Fred Sr's were and are some of the finest gentleman I have had the
                            pleasure to meet. There cannot be a better legacy to a Father and Mother than that!!!

Our prayers are with Frances and the Hauenstein during this time of sorrow!
                            God Speed, Fred Sr.!!
                            64*W

Comment

Working...
                            X