We LOVE the Cold Weather Testing!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We LOVE the Cold Weather Testing!!!

December 29, 2005. A break in the Pacific Northwest rain today. A brand new OSY boat that's been sitting in the garage since November, never wet. And a driver home on Christmas break. Do you see where this is going?

A quick phone call to work: "Hi folks, I'll be in a little late this AM. See you around 11 or noon." And, off to Lake Sammamish we go.

I love mornings like this.

R-19
    Attached Files
    www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

it aint cold the water isnt hard. lol

Comment

Starting Pin

I see as you are crossing the starting pin in one of the pictures it is obvious you are obeying the course speed limit.
      Great pictures! they bring back many memories of testing on the St. Lawrence river. Boat looks great!

RussW

sigpic
      SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Carb. de-icer

Has anyone hooked up the Carburetor deicer on their Yamato for cold weather testing?

Comment

BURRRR, That is the Hemp kit that i built. It is under Boats under construction thread. Looks like J Michael and Nilson will have some competition in OSY.
          bill b

Comment

Nice Air

Nice work Bill. Well Pat, it looks like this just adds to the number of new competitive C/OSY boats + proven (not so) older boats in the Pacific Northwest, among the young guns. Add to this veterans like Bartlett, Wartinger, Montoya, Blackwell, etc. it should make for an interesting racing season. I knew there was a reason, besides my kids kicking my tail, I moved out of C hydro.

Jim

Comment

I never hooked up the Yamato carburetor "deicing" system for cold weather testing but have raced it several times in cold/humid conditions with the warm/hot water from one of the cooling outlets circulating thru it. Two-cycle engines are not as critical as 4 cycles for getting the fuel to vaporize in the carburetor directly as the fuel mix spends more time in the crankcase getting stirred around fo the fuel will vaporize there. However, there was none of the gooey, milky residue on the outside of the carb or manifold when heated in these conditions. I'm not positive it ran any better heated but it certainly didn't run worse.

We have also used a small tank in the boat with water and ice and a small pump to circulate it on very hot summer days on stock Yamatos. The C Mod motor that has won numerous Nationals uses cooling water from the gearcase pickup to cool the carb/manifold on hot days. The Mod gets plenty of cooling water so this eliminates the tank and pump but the lake water isn't as cold as the ice water system. Yes, I know alcohol and dry ice is colder yet but creates more logistical problems.

Comment

nice boat

The new boat looks great PAT! kyle looks like he likes it! This year will be a great season. See you all soon in region 10.
                Tylor Echols

Comment

ice

if there aint ice on the river out back ill be there

Comment

The real reason...

No, Jim, the real reason that you're not racing CSH/OSY is that you are not completely crazy...It's the whole brains vs. balls theory. With all these boats recently built/being built, I just can't wait for the first, first turn. That should be fun...
                    http://vitalire.com/

Comment

your right

your right guedo the first first turn will be one to watch... No doubt about that.
                      Tylor Echols

Comment

Works for us

Ok, that settles it then: Guedo, Tylor and the rest of you guys can sit back and watch. We'll go first

R-19
                        www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

pat

hey pat what did kyle think of it sure looks good on the water!!! can ya give me a e mail at dt09027@yahoo.com need to talk to soon about safty gear for my daughter her boat will be done in a few week so need to get some price's from ya....thanks dave 68R

Comment

Working...
                          X