• Show
Clear All

• Driver Signal Lights needs your help!

I am builing a new prototype light, and I need some help with an issue
    I am having trouble with. I am looking for Radio Frequency switches to
    operate 2 light sets on the new design. I have found some, but they
    are very expensive. I am hoping someone here has experience with RF
    products and can offer suggestions on a product that will transmit at
    least a half mile range that is of lower cost than $300.00.
    I need to keep the cost down to make this safety device affordable so
    that it will be easy for clubs to be able to put them to use.

I am trying to have the new prototype ready for the National Meeting
    so I need to solve this last issue quickly. The rest of the signal is
    virtually complete.
    Please contact me via email at eastard@earthlink.net or contact me
    directly on my cell at 252-241-0847
    Thank you,
    Dennis 21Z
    Driver Signal Lights

Just a thought....... Have you looked at some of the R.C. (planes, cars, boats.....) sites to see what they may have available?

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Today

I plan a trip to my local RC store today, yet I am not very optimistic,
      because I used to play with RC toys and I remember lots of servos, but
      no on/off switches, but I never looked for any so maybe they are available.
      Hope so!
      Dennis 21Z

Comment

I was going to sugest the same thing about the RC stuff I think there is a on /off switch but even if not really easy to rig up , put the servos in a box side by side and hook the linkages to easy to pull on and off swithes.. Used to be able to get Five Chanel radios which come with the receiver, 4 servos, chargers and recharable batt packs for around 250.00
        Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Try Tower Hobbies.
          http://towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-l.html

There are all kinds of electronic switches for RC stuff.

Comment

RC switch

This is a typical circuit for this function. I've used different variations of this depending on what you want to drive on the output side. Shoot me an email if you want, This is good for prototype but there are other ways to use a standard RC Rx for many outputs, and lower cost.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/rc-sw.htm

Comment

Need an electronic whiz . . .

Dennis

Way back when I owned the largest R/C model hobby shop in the DC Metro area, a dude named Dan Brown who worked with National Geographic used the cicuit board from a servo to trigger remote cameras. The output signal is + or - depending on which direction the servo motor is suipposed to run and he just tapped off that signal.

Not being a electronics whiz but very mechanical I used the actual servo to trip little microswitchs to run a variety of electric powered thingers. Not hard to set up at all. You can get more than one control function out of one servo (channel).

Range of an R/C rig, more'n a mile line-0f-sight.

Problem: Legitimate use of R/C frequencys to run a device. Tis a no-no last time I checked save for 27.255 which is an experimental channel. (or was it 27.225?) Antenna flag color light blue. Rarely used. Methinks I was the only one in the AMYA (American Model Yachting Association) that used that freq for racing.
              carpetbagger

Comment

hoping to find an electronic whiz here!

Thanks Bill,
                I hope someone here has the knowledge I am looking for and can offer
                a suggestion to fullfill my needs.
                Anyone? Anyone?
                Dennis 21Z

Comment

new RC class?

Bill,
                  I was thinking we could run it as an RC electric marathon boat.

Comment

Har Har!

Les

You know, last night I was muling over the legality prob and was thinking along the same lines - an R?C safety patroi boat!

I'm also thinking the 27 megahertz R/C freqs may be passe. I'll have to check on that, but methinks when CB radios went to 40 channels from 23 the new channels ate up the half dozen R/C channels. That leaves the expanded range of 72 megahertz channels and 53 as well, but one needs an actual ham radio license to operate on 53 megs.
                    carpetbagger

Comment

Cabela's sells the small remotes to start the electronic duck decoys (flyers). They are about the size of a electric car starter remote and come with the circuits etc.... for about $60.00 if I'm not mistaken. These could be used by the turn judge/boat to activate the lights..

Comment

Found help

Happy to say one of our members has responded and is working
                        on a solution I will be getting back to him Monday with specific
                        details on the lights power requirements. He also is coming back to
                        racing in CSH. This is a great sport, and a great site. Dan keep up
                        the great work, and I will report back as progress continues on the
                        lights.
                        Dennis 21Z

Comment

Working...
                        X