Help on a 40 HP Evindrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on a 40 HP Evindrude

I'm visiting my daughter and her husband in PA. He has a 40 HP Evindrude Tracker vintage 1990 that we are trying to replace the impeller. I've taken the 5 bolts out that hold the lower unit but can not get the lower unit to seperate from the down housing. The shift linkage seems to be the problem. Any coaching on how to get the foot off would be greatly appreciated.

Jack,

Are you sure it doesn't have 6 bolts? One under the trim tab.

I'm not familiar with that motor, but some of the OMC's have the shift linkage joined behind a "screen" looking piece.... Take off that screen and take out the small bolt that joins the shift linkage coming out of the unit to the rest of the linkage that goes up through the tower. (Hope that makes sense.)

The 3 cylinder shift linkage is bolted together up near the bottom carb. Would hurt to look there.

I'm scanning some stuff and will put it on Webshots. I'll post a link in a few minutes.

Maybe this link will work. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...27181238gwJYuq
    Last edited by David_L6; 12-22-2005, 06:04 PM.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

lower unit

on the side of the tower there should be plate about one by two. remove plate. a coupling should be seen thru the opening.
      see ya at the races
      Don Jones 5-Z

Comment

1990 45cu in.

Jack,

Before you have the whole thing torn apart let me step in. The shift rod is fastened to the linkage just below the bottom carb. The easiest way to get @ is to remove the starter. Call me @ work tomorrow if you need further assistance. 847-689-7133
        17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Hey Brent and all others, this Evinrude 40 is a tracker which is a two cylinder low profile looking engine.I have the lower unit dropped down about 3/8 of an inch from the tower housing when in forward gear. It narrows the gap as you move the shift lever from forward to neutral and closes completely when in reverse. It is a single carb.

Comment

Shift linkage is bolted together somewhere. Look for a removable plate of some sort on the mid section.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Something is Screwy...

Originally posted by Jack Stotts
              Hey Brent and all others, this Evinrude 40 is a tracker which is a two cylinder low profile looking engine.I have the lower unit dropped down about 3/8 of an inch from the tower housing when in forward gear. It narrows the gap as you move the shift lever from forward to neutral and closes completely when in reverse. It is a single carb.
              If you only have a single carb 40hp (Evinrude) something does not make sense. Ck the model # it should resemble TE40ELES or close. Riddle me this....what part # impeller/water pump kit do you have?
              Last edited by 17W; 12-23-2005, 09:04 AM.
              17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Brent, I sent you a private message in response to yours. Mission is complete. Thanks to all for the assistance. Nothing like boat racer friends. What a family. Merry Christmas to all. Jack

Comment

Working...
                X