No announcement yet.

Boat racing drinking age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have Ash race JH and JR with us this summer... plenty of close races.

Comment

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
      Have Ash race JH and JR with us this summer... plenty of close races.
      Oh, we will. We will be at Pell Lake. Not really just an Ash issue. I can not afford to have him race 4 classes.

Comment

I guess it is pick on Andy Hansen day…. I’'m 14 years old and Memorial Day weekend at Burlington, WI 1981 is not only to be my first race but also the first time I am ever in a race boat. Green flag and figure it out was the plan. The week prior to the race and my mom is officially informed that I am racing ASH and not JSH. She freaks out and protests by saying that “What?!? You are going to be racing against Andy Hansen and Steve Warnock and those other guys?!?!?” I was not worried that she was upset, but rather impressed that she knew who raced ASH! LOL
        Bill
        Last edited by Wakefield 2015; 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Nine years old has always seemed awfully young for driving, and maybe falling out, among a pack of boats that feature rotary meat-cleavers underneath. If a nine or ten year old ever loses an arm or leg, or his/her life at a race, not only will we feel awful but if it makes the news the sport will be a long time living it down (and insurance rates and hassles will increase). The old 60J engine on a JU went something like 23mph back when that age limit was devised. Maybe it should be re-considered.
          Mrs. Blue Sky has a good idea as well.

Comment

• benf27
            benf27 commented
            Editing a comment
            If the kids receive good instructions and some time in the boat before they get to a race it's usually not a problem. Two things I would suggest, 1 Have a driving coach that is not a parent and 2 throw them in the lake with all thier safety gear on so they know what if will feel like(And to be certain the will float!!)

Lets take Ashten and Izzy H. as examples both started racing at the same time and both are about the 11ish age. Ash has 30LB on her but she has maybe 30-40 more heats of racing. Parents should know the race and the people who you would race with. At IOA races I would put ASH in 200H today(4-7 boats most weekends). But not at the nationals or any track he feels uncomfortable with the number of boats.

Experience is hard to get. A 12 boat field is scary, but the winner is almost always the most experienced. I think 11 is the number with prior racing experience. Call it no strips on the helmet or if no other class options offered for the racer. Example IOA Hillsdale vs Grass lake very hard to get J racers to IOA. Why they want a big field of J for the experience...

Comment

Is a J driver in his/her first race expected to start in the back and finish last like they make the adults do? (I don't know the J rules yet. I have 4 more years until my grandson turns 9 to worry about it).

​If any sort of experience is the worry, then perhaps J needs some sort of "phasing in" process? A lot of races typically have a test session on Fridays. Perhaps require new J drivers to go out and turn laps. Have a race official observe to check for certain things the driver is doing, like looking over their shoulder before turns, etc. Once they've made an arbitrary number of test runs, and the official deems them ready, then let them into a race with the aforementioned start last/finish last for a set number of races before finally turning them loose.

​It's difficult to come up with a plan that gets them some seat time and experience before actual racing without interfering with the whole program. Just tossing that out.
            Dane Lance
            700-P
            CSH/500Mod

Comment

• DiGia54D
              DiGia54D commented
              Editing a comment
              I think any rookie in any class has to stay in back until given the ok by the referee. But a new J diver should have tested more than a few times before ever just going into there first race. I have been in the USTS for 5 years now and only have seen one of our K-Pro's blow over and a few bumps in turns and they are pretty fast. But all tested a lot before racing.

Any 200mod drivers care to comment? Would you like to see 11/12 year old drivers in the class?

Comment

Brian, I am a 200ccmh driver and I am not sure how to say this any nicer but stop pushing the age lowering issue. For the last 30 years I have had to look at and live with my messed up left hand. It happened when a young let's say eager driver in ASH driver in front of me didn't look back before taking the entrance pin of the second turn in qualifying at the '87 Hinton Nationals. I am just looking out for all the young future racers as well as all the experience racers. I asked 4 very grizzled drivers who have all raced ASH and 200ccmh and all of us agree this is a very bad idea.
              Just a side note I looked at the USTS rules and a driver needs to run a restrictor plate till 12 years old as well as wear stripes on his helmet till 12. They also run at 1 3/4" prop depth.

Jeff Scheffler

Comment

Sorry Brian, but no way. This puts the older drivers in a bad spot. I go into a corner with an 11 year old next to me I am going to have to drive that corner WAY different than I would if it was an experienced driver. Now, instead of focusing on racing, I am focused on not messing up the 11 year old. Not safe for me or others around me. Plus, I start watching out for the 11 year old and take it easy, Hansen, Scheffler, Sweeney, etc etc, pass me.

On top of that, if the kid crashes it is the older driver's fault (no matter the circumstances) and then they are the bad guy. I don't want that either.

Bill Pavlick

Comment

Sorry! No way!! Not going to feel good about mixing it up in a corner with a youngster.

Comment

Thanks all for the comments....This is how rules should be talked about. Like I said it seems like mod has a hard time getting AXS and J racers. SO... a 40 year old can race axs, but a 12 year old can't race against a 40 year old in 200H? When does a novice become a safe driver? I am not asking for any rules to be changed, but I would like to see more young people at mod races. A 14 or 20 year old new racer would be more dangerous than a 12 year old one with 50 starts I would think. I was a 30 year old 750MH rookie driver! Don't Ask Jim Robb about that!

Just remember I have never proposed a rule change in my life. IF I did it would be an up or down vote by the people who race the class. Rule changes are good if they are openly discussed and changed slowly with warning. Example: I am cutting a transom this weekend for new J hydro rule. I love Epoxy!

Thanks again for the comments.

Comment

Brian,
                      I think all Categories would enjoy having more kids racing, and at the races.

Our kids raced J and AX at the OPC Nationals in Kankakee. The kids had a blast and the spectators loved it!

Instead of changing the age, I'd encourage everyone to put J/AX on their schedules in order to promote these classes across Categories, and get more kids racing.

See you at Pell Lake!
                      - Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X