Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5-V......................Jerry Palmquist, Lincolnshire, IL (1/6/43 - 3/19/17)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-V......................Jerry Palmquist, Lincolnshire, IL (1/6/43 - 3/19/17)

Boat racing started for Jerry as an 18 year old, in 1961 at the Winnebago marathon. Although finishing the race, Winnebago also almost finished his career as well. Central Wisconsin produced high seas that day, and a very cracked-up small boat. Jerry’s father was under the impression that the family boat was for pleasure only and not racing use. This clearly was not the case any longer. All repairs were made, Jerry was now a racer and the owner (Papa Palmquist) none-the-wiser.

Affordability and availability of equipment drew Jerry to circle competition in the form of a C Service Runabout. Also made affordable by a friend, next Jerry found himself driving a 20 ci Champion on a Janz Hydro in BSH, BMH and occasionally adding alcohol. Friends, Walter and Hank Menzies helped Jerry into CSH (30H), then DSH (55H), finishing his racing career with a 44xs and the assistance of Sam Hemp and Jerry Wienandt in 1994.

None of Jerry’s on water accomplishments can ever be compared with his support for his two boys andhow enjoyable you were to him at the races. Instead of pushing us on the water, he would try to “de-tune” us. Never trying to suggest racecourse strategy, just, “Be safe, Have fun.” John and I were allowed to learn our limits on our own. Providing support when necessary, but usually allowing space to deal with our failures, consequences and accountability on our own; both on and off the race course.

John and I hosted a very nice, but small family gathering yesterday 3/24, at my house in Jerry’s memory. Every year my parents would join me at Constantine for the Father’s Day weekend race. This year FATHER’S DAY falls on SATURDAY JUNE 17th, as does the first Constantine race (SO/MO). Following the daytime festivities, please help us toast all of our fathers and to spend a moment of remembering John and mine as well. Details to follow and beverages will be provided by the Palmquist’s.

In the late ‘70’s through the mid 80’s, Jerry was the commodore of Marine Racing Club, (Northern Illinois SO/MO club) for seven consecutive years. In lieu of flowers, please send propellers. (I half jest).
    If you would like to honor Jerry through any typeof gift or donation, please contribute to his love of boat racing…

Marine Racing Club
    ℅ Chris Dudek
    PO Box 1606
    Valparaiso, IN 46384-1606

All donations will be used exclusively for Marine Racing Club’s DRIVING SCHOOL.
    We are greatly appreciative of the many kind thoughts that have been sent our way.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian 13-V; 03-26-2017, 04:15 PM.

Condolences to the Palmquist family. RIP Jerry
    Speed costs money. So, how fast do you want to go?

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers. Niesen Racing

Comment

Brian,
        ​Condolences from the Gryskiewicz family. I will not be in Constantine but your family will be in my thoughts as my dad's birthday is 6/17. Dads always want their kids to "keep on keeping on". Prayers and thoughts.

Comment

Brian - So sorry about your loss. Will be thinking about you.

Comment

Çondolences to the Palmquist Family ! The Sidor Family .

Comment

Our deepest sympathy to all the Palmquists.

Jeff and Mary Williams
              Jeff
              5-P

Comment

So sorry to hear Brian. My condolences to your family.
                Joe Silvestri
                CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                JH/JR

Comment

Condolences from Sobel Brother's Racing

Comment

Brian sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and the Palmquist family
                    sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

So very sorry to hear his passing. I remember talking with Jerry back in the Camden, NC days. My deep sympathy goes out to the Palmquists.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your family's loss , tough to loose the daddy presence. us up North's will be wishing for your family nothing but the best. see you on the water. 23w / 36w family's.

Comment

Sorry Brian john Jennings family
                          spider pig, spider pig, spider pig does what'ever a spider pig does.

Comment

We in the B.S. bunch have known you guys for a long time. I always enjoyed visiting and racing with your dad.
                            Our prayers are with you.

Bruce and Shirley

Comment

Guys,, Sorry for your loss. met your father at a race in Beloit, Wisc. early 90's. We had a good chat. Dave Viola

Comment

Working...
                              X