No announcement yet.

FRED MILLER...............RIP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also thought about the roses he would pass out on Mother's day, Brian Williams! What a class act he was. I remember going to his shop in Trenton around 1978 or so with my father. There had to have been 15 to 20 boats leaning against the walls and very few of them had Fred's number on them. They were all from kids in the neighborhood that he had gotten started. I hope in the worst way that he is sitting in heaven, drinking a beer and spending time with Bruno, whom he has missed for so long.
    I hope that Merry is ok, she was doing poorly that last I knew. Jeez, I loved it when Fred would call her by his nickname for her, "pork chop"!
    Stay strong Stacie and Gordie, your racing family mourns with you.
    http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

I was taken aback when I heard the news yesterday afternoon. Fred's impact on racing affects all of us today and will continue for many years.

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago Jose Jr and I getting into an animated conversation with Fred about the format needing to be changed for a 45 race. I think Fred won the argument, but I remember most walking away and thinking to myself, I hope I'm lucky enough at his age to be fighting the good fight with some punk kids on how to run a boat race.

Comment

It was Wakefield 1992, my second Nationals. I am riding around the sprawling metropolis of Wakefield, Michigan in an Astro Van with some friends that I had recently met at the Indian Head Resort. We are loaded up in this van like sardines, I am in the “Way Back” seat. I look behind the seat and see a 25 engine, so I yell to the front to my new friend Gordy that is driving the van, “"Who'’s 25 engine is back here?" “"It’s my Dad’'s” said Gordy. Then out of curiosity, I gotta know...… “Gordy, who is your Dad?”
        “Fred, Fred Miller."
        HOLY $#!+! I am in Fred Miller’s Van! This kid from the west coast had only read about Fred Miller!
        We had recently gotten are heat draws for 25 Runabout and I had Fred, along with many other legends of Stock Outboard in my elimination heat. I was clearly racing outside of my league, and I was scared for my life...… I have NO business racing against these guys!
        Long story short, I was lucky enough to have made the Finals that year and raced against the legendary Fred Miller that week. Also I befriended a genuine legend of the sport of powerboat racing.
        Of the four or five trophies I currently display, my 1992 Fifth Place 25ss Runabout trophy is still my most cherished trophy as I begin my 35th year of racing!

I am glad to have had Fred as my friend,
        J-Dub
        Last edited by Black Sheep; 03-07-2017, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I remember the 1972 stock outboard nationals in Cedar Rapids , Iowa. It was my second year running CSR and was lucky enough to make it to the finals and was really nervous competing against such talent. Fred and I put on quite a show that day and it,s a shame we both ended up taking a bath. I feel very honored to have known and raced with him. I've had many races since but that one I will never forget. RIP Fred. Barry Byers
          Last edited by bcause; 03-07-2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I have too many Fred stories to tell here but I can tell you I would never have raced had it not been for Fred and all the miles we spent going to races in his rig. I have known Fred since 1970 when I walked into his real estate office looking to buy a house, then i saw all those pictures on the wall an it was game on!
            To Mary , Stacy and Gordie , our prayers are with you. RACE IN PEACE My friend .... Lou & Patty Howard

Comment

Very sad to hear this news. I have so much respect for all that he did for racing, but his dedication to the Hall Of Champions was amazing. He truly made it something that became so respected in our circles of racing and the length of time he spent heading it up was amazing. Prayers to the family.
              Rick Miller and the What's Up Doc Racing Team.

Comment

The Lanphear family would like to extend our condolences.I did not know Fred that well, other than casual conversation, but I always knew how important he was to boat racing as a whole, and dedicated much of his life to it's betterment.We all could learn a lesson on how to contribute more to a sport that we cherish, just like Fred!

Comment

Anyone who was ever at Dayton when Fred was there can still hear in their head, the sound of the early morning wake-up. "Good morning, this is God." He was also very good at telling people that "the world of boat racing is waiting on you". Fred (and Merry too) always gave way more to the sport than they ever expected to receive back. They were truly part of the backbone of APBA and will be missed. Our deepest sympathy to all of Fred's family. And to all of APBA, because we have lost someone very special.

Jeff and Mary Williams
                  Jeff
                  5-P

Comment

I think everyone on both sides of the border knew the name Fred Miller and his dedication to boat racing! A great loss to the sport! Condolences to the Miller Family!

Comment

I was only blessed to know Fred for a short time. His dedication to the sport was amazing. About 5 years ago, my father in his late 70's called Fred to see if he could bring the infamous 100S and KG7 to Trenton and run the marathon. This was our first year of racing, and we still didn't know anyone. Fred stated of course, bring it, and made sure my father got out on the water. That weekend caused the flame to start in my son to begin racing (the good old days before baseball, soccer, and girls!) and is a memory that I will cherish all these years.

From Facebook, I saw this post to let everyone know.. FROM FRED MILLER'S DAUGHTER, STACY:
                      Gordie Miller and I would like all of Fred Miller's friends and family to know that we will be holding a memorial service for our dad at the Trenton Roar on the River on Saturday, July 15, 2017. Details are yet to be worked out; we'll announce more information as the date approaches.
                      When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

Great loss to all involved in the sport of outboard racing. Way to many stories to tell here, I had the privilege of knowing Fred since I was 11 years old, told my dad at my first race "glad to see you bring your boy out to join the fun". Words are not enough, our condolences to Mary, Stacy and Gordie. Lou the Goose and Jan Betka

Comment

Great Stories about boat racing. God Speed my friend

Comment

I was involved with the Belle Isle club back in the 70's and worked a patrol boat for the 1974 Belle Isle Marathon and short course. Took this pic of Fred at turn one of the short course off the beach. I think Fred Schwartz is also in pic. Maybe someone out there can remember who was the other driver. I think I knew in the past but too many years have passed. If I remember correctly this is the first lap of the first D heat.

Original was a slide that I had printed and then scanned.

Godspeed Fred.

Steve Briarton
                            Last edited by dover xs; 04-03-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Well I figure I better tell a couple stories here. Fred Miller and my dad raced together in the 50"s. My dad took Fred to his first nationals. As usual Fred got into the Gobel and got a little messed up and pucked in my dads Nomad. He never lived it down my dad always told the story. When I got to the point of racing. Fred stepped up with help from the F Troop team to get me racing. Ran the 33-M 5 times around Belle Isle.in one of his DeSilva's for my first race. As I gained experience Fred always mentored me. We got to the Nationals In Dayton. We were both running B runabout. Of coarse we were running our Hot Rods against the Mercury poppers. I went out in heat 1, first class of the day and water was like a mirror. He loaned me a 2 blade prop. 3 blades where the preferred prop at this point. I got a great start and broke out front. I came in all excited and marched up the hill to get a water and game plan for the next heat. I look down at the beach and see Fred taking off the 2 bald prop he had loaned me. Ok i go down and ask him if he has another one I can borrow. Looks at me with a smile and says nope and walks away to put it on his boat. Ok so now Im in a pickle. I run up and ask Bruno for his punch hydro wheel for the hot rod, Stuck a 1/4 inch under it and went out and scored another 1 in heat 2. Fred was my friend for the whole time I raced. He would always borrow the fastest hydro drivers motor at the Nationals. But through all this he gave way more than he received. He will be missed a bunch. Hope everybody shows up at Trenton to celebrate in his honor. He will always be the King of the River!!! RIP Fred
                              mike ross

Comment

Working...
                              X