Engine box dimensions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine box dimensions ?

I am beginning to sketch up plans for a open trailer and I'm looking for input for my engine/tool box dimensions. In will be mounted on the back of a converted heavy duty boat trailer. Right now I'm currently thinking about making it 46" High X 46"Wide and 28" Deep....Any input ?

28" isn't much space. I would make it as deep as practical with a removable floor panel so you can walk inside.

Comment

The box dimensions and what you what to put inside (tell us) would be depend on what your vehicle can safely tow based on the total finished weight of the trailer how it balances out and resultant tongue weight. I assume the basic trailer axle and wheels can carry the weight.
      T Chance is right on with a removable floor if the depth is what you need. In any event 28 seems too short.
      Keep in mind usually when a storage box is built and starts to get used you will ask why didn't I make it bigger?
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

The box on my open trailer is 4 feet high, 34 deep and 5 feet wide. It hold 4 Merc motors and carries a hydro and runabout. It has a removable floor.

Comment

Ya, I wish my box was a little deeper and another 4"-6" taller. Not having the removable floor is a PIA. I might add the floor, but my trailer has a long, single tube down the middle all the way to the back end and some cross members, so they will have to be cut. Need to check to see how much support will be lost by doing that. Will probably have to beef up the support with the center tube cut out.
          Dane Lance
          700-P
          CSH/500Mod

Comment

• hoosier
            hoosier commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes , it's always better to have an additional 4 to 6 " to go deeper but you just have to make due with what you have .

• Ram4x4
            Ram4x4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahahahahahahaha!

can you move the cross member forward ? build your motor racks to load the side rails of the frame- build the box light and cover in coil stock aluminum from home store.

Comment

I'll make it work, but this is Flatiron's thread, so don't want to highjack it with my trailer mods.

Flat, I would make the motor box full width of the trailer frame.
            Dane Lance
            700-P
            CSH/500Mod

Comment

It is important for the axle center to be in a correct place. A good rule of thumb is to have your axle, assuming you are building a single axle trailer, right underneath the front of the motor box,, thus your rear spring hangers will be supporting the motor box. This is really important if you are carrying motors on both sides of the trailer. If you ever decide to build a trailer from scratch, doubling the side rails in the axle area provides extra support for the motor box.

Comment

Hobama and Hellary would solve this problem by doing it the Government way by shipping the motors FedEx to every race and saving a lot of money

in box plywood cost !

Regards.

Paul.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess bigger is better back to the drawing board or should I say sketch pad. The trailer is already built and it is very heavy duty it was used for towing a large fiberglass bass boat. I think before moving the axle I will see how it tows. One question though in order to haul 3 boats how high should I go with the box ?

Comment

You don't have to go any higher than 4' + - on the motor box, as the top of the box can be used to carry the 3rd. boat.

Comment

That depends on if you want the top boat totally on top, or backed by the box. My trailer was originally configured for 3 boats. There was a two-tier support on the front and the top set of rails mounted to the front support and on top of the box. Of course, the bottom boat rails sat right on the deck.

Dane Lance
                      700-P
                      CSH/500Mod

Comment

Something like this....
                        Dane Lance
                        700-P
                        CSH/500Mod

Comment

All good tips posted here. The removable floor walk-in capability is a huge feature if you can accommodate it. And if you can walk in it, make it high enough to walk in without stooping over when carrying a motor if possible. The box should be designed to match the trailer capability also, recommend making it full trailer frame width. Tongue weight needs to also be considered when sizing the box, so don't hang a huge box of motors behind the axle. Some trailers allow you to slide the axle and spring shackles if you need to for adjusting the tongue weight. I had to move mine. The thing is to design the box that matches YOUR trailer. I've attached some photos of the box that worked on my trailer (48" long x 50" high x 75" wide). The rear shackIe is right under the board that carries the motors. I started with a very wide trailer that used to haul a deck boat so I was able to build a wide box. Good luck and have fun!
                          Tom Burwinkle
                          11-K
                          sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X