Trip to L.A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to L.A

For a land lock group from Oklahoma, we are excited to climb in a big bird to see the biggest ocean on the planet. We live on a lake that has more miles of shoreline than the state of California. Living on a lake, however does not give you the feeling of standing in front of water that seems to never end. During and after the dust bowl years, Oklahomans fled this state to seek their fortune in the land of the Bear. I've visited the California before, earliest trips to the state, I was shocked to see the air. You can not see air in Oklahoma but the air was nearly tan and you could smell it too. Not like the smell of " waven wheat". My latest impression was that they cleaned the air, but they still can't get it to rain and most of the state is a desert. We have made plan to visit Santa Monica beach. I've been looking for inline skates to zoom around on the boardwalk. Afraid of falling, so I am also looking for a walker with wheels. Well, i' m excited to meet old and new friends, grilling them on how to pick up that extra mile an hour.
    Last edited by Hydro doc; 01-18-2017, 08:18 AM.

I have been in Southern California when the smog was so bad it made my physically ill...and you could literally could not see the nearby mountains on a clear day. Actually, the majority of the state is not a desert...the southwest portion is, but the rest of the state has varied topography. We have raced in quite a few places in California, both in central Cali to Southern California.....one of my favorite races sites is Lake Ming in Bakersfield, around an hour and a half north of the hotel we are staying at for meeting...I believe it was built in the 50s for boat racing. Lake Oroville, a little bit north of Sacramento, has one of the finest race sites for outboards in my opinion in the country....smooth water, fantastic pits, you name it. Another neat race site in California is Puddingstone outside of Ontario. I have run there several times, and they used to put in a triangle course....it was a blast to race there! There are a lot of neat things to see by the hotel Doc....just ask anybody from region 12 for advice...they will be happy to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro doc View Post
      For a land lock group from Oklahoma, we are excited to climb in a big bird to see the biggest ocean on the planet. We live on a lake that has more miles of shoreline than the state of California. Living on a lake, however does not give you the feeling of standing in front of water that seems to never end. During and after the dust bowl years, Oklahomans fled this state to seek their fortune in the land of the Bear. I've visited the California before, earliest trips to the state, I was shocked to see the air. You can not see air in Oklahoma but the air was nearly tan and you could smell it too. Not like the smell of " waven wheat". My latest impression was that they cleaned the air, but they still can't get it to rain and most of the state is a desert. We have made plan to visit Santa Monica beach. I've been looking for inline skates to zoom around on the boardwalk. Afraid of falling, so I am also looking for a walker with wheels. Well, i' m excited to meet old and new friends, grilling them on how to pick up that extra mile an hour.
      Doc.............my son Justin graduated from Cal State LA in Santa Monica a few years ago. When your there be sure to visit the J. Paul Getty Antiguity Museum just up the road! Amazing place! Also the Santa Monica Pier is cool.............did you know the pier was constructed to provide a way to bring raw sewerage to the ocean back in the day! Nice.

Comment

Getty got his start in the Glenn Pool oil fields just west of Tulsa Ok. It made instant millionaires. A Indian man owned most of the land. He become very wealthy and built a remarkable museum, the Gilcrease Museum. We will be able to get over to Getty's museum, Matt, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Doc.........My wife's uncle was the PR Director for over 10 years at the museum. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to visit him or the museum when he was there.............Santa Monica Beach is to gymnastics like Lock Haven is to boat racing............it all happens on Labor Day weekend!! I hitched out one time from college for the beach meet ............... and party!! It was definitely worth it!! ......Just like Lock Haven!!! Have fun and enjoy!!

Comment

Yupr.... bring yer shades, the cleavage down around the Santa Monica pier will blind ya in the late afternoon sun. And, you wanna pay attention cause when one of those kittens on them roller-skates with the ultra-quiet durrell wheels comes cruisin down the sidewalk you'll get flattened. Keep yer hands on yer wallet too... those guys walkin around in business suits, looking like some bank exec actually live under the boardwalk. Bring yer lunch & guard it.

As for me... I'll be inside where it's nice and cool away from all those terroristas.
            Last edited by ram95; 01-19-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Alex Alex Alex....I would love to spend an afternoon with you sitting on the boardwalk watching life go by.....maybe we could rent some skates and chase down some cleavage?

Comment

• LarryR
                LarryR commented
                Editing a comment
                Just don't try to climb any palm trees. The branches are too high.

Looks like the weather will be perfect for cleavage watching or just soaking up the rays.

Comment

Working...
              X