No announcement yet.

Yamato Cooling Test; Phase 2 Summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel this cooling issue as being a fundamental problem that needs a solution
    particularly if we want to attract new racers or keep those on the fringe from
    quitting. If a top racer burns an engine he can grab another from the trailer
    or gets a rebuild done for the next race. Guys on a limited budget or newbies
    don't need this issue to haunt them. If we want to grow the sport we don't need
    to worry about the top guys as they might be pissed off about a rule or height change
    but they are not going to quit and they will continue to win races.
    As a runabout driver this issue does not affect me directly but like all of you I
    do not want to see an easily solved problem hurt the sport.
    I see two solutions:
    The cool tube keeps heights as they are, is inexpensive but likely need more testing.
    Lower all Yamatos in all stock classes to 1 3/8" . This would allow 20, CSH and 300
    with 302 and 321 engines to use the same transom heights and interchange boats
    use the same height gauge and oh yes, not cook engines.
    Leaving the status quo is not a solution. A runabout drivers opinion!

Comment

• csh12M
      csh12M commented
      Editing a comment
      The problem with your second option is....we know from history that if you lower the height that much, hydro racers will use the extreme tuck set ups to overcome the depth, thus creating another set of issues. I still believe it is as simple at lower the 20hydro class to 3/4 inch and work the real problem - how do we get the hot exhaust out of the 321 tower.

• GrandpaRacer
      GrandpaRacer commented
      Editing a comment
      CSM12M, I predict that eventually we will relieve the back pressure in the 321 tower by knocking out the baffle that causes it. We can only argue about the 321 performance now because it over heats. Once this gets solved the next issue will be performance. If the 321 sucks, the baffle will go... maybe.

The issue is something that can no longer be ignored. There have been three threads on this topic here on HR with a total of over 32,000 views! This is perhaps the biggest issue the SORC has ever had to face and I am confident they will take action to solve it.The racers obviously want it fixed. Three options are emerging; prop shaft height, the Cool Tool and modification to the stock water pick up hole. Doing nothing is not one of the options the average racers want. Let your Commision know your views.
    John Adams

Comment

Boo hoo! It won't cool I can't keep up waaaaa.. make everyone else pay for it.
      look kid you bought it ,make it work, just drop your motor in a little more to cool and then start testing from their, don't change the whole game for that motor series , come on get out and test an tune your equipment. That way stock stays stock if you want to be in mod go into mod leave stock all stock,quit playing with the rulebook.

Comment

• rumleyfips
        rumleyfips commented
        Editing a comment
        Leave stock stock. That train left the station in 1979. Craig Bowman's big laugh that fall was someone who was sanding his gearfoot to a thinner profile struck oil. Yamotos were fooled with right from the start.

• Ram4x4
        Ram4x4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Keeping up isn't part of the equation. Cooling without burning up is. Parity, for the umpteenth time, is a separate issue that can be addressed once the engine can be cooled properly.

Question? Why did the 300ssh (Sealed) class height end up at 1 3/8"? Was cooling a factor for running it that low?

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
        GrandpaRacer commented
        Editing a comment
        I know they were targeting 60mph, and low is slow.

John, that is correct. And it was convenient since there was already a 1 3/8" height checker.

Comment

OK I still say drop YOUR motor to cool not everyone's. Ours already work why change them I had to make my equipment work with props and restrictions I have it all figured out with lots of testing,bending and good old hard work, that brain of yours will work wonders if you use it .

Comment

• seanp3
          seanp3 commented
          Editing a comment
          I take it you are running a 321, the current production motor and having NO issues at all cooling???

We're not asking for height drops for everyone, we're advocating the pick up tube as an option for all Yamato owners. That way, some can use their brains and rebuild 321's when they burn up, and others can use the pick up tube and race.
        Dane Lance
        700-P
        CSH/500Mod

Comment

Once again I will try some reason.
          IF this is such an epidemic and the need is so dire, why can't it be prototyped? For all those that want to run for Divisionals, Nationals and HOC - you can't use the pick up tube in 2017. For all those that don't care about these things or for those few engines that are forced to use a pickup to compete, they are legal.
          For 95% of all Yamato classes, this is a win. For the very few that have 321 and want to campaign them Nationally - I agree this is not what you want to hear. But for those few - they could always buy/ rent a 302 tower for the 2017 season if they wanted to.

Then all the SORC needs is someone to collect the summary sheets from the classes that had a prototype pickup run. Get some basic data from all entries (driver, class, engine, pickup or not & lap times) and put it in a spread sheet. The answers will become very clear if there is any advantage or not.

Brian 10s

Comment

Let's try to keep this conversation limited to the cooling of the new 321.I appreciate all the hard work that these several people have done but they have done it in order to help further their engine choice., and I understand that fully. ( of which I am sure that they all have 302's and 102's currently)With regards to the 102 and 302 , I cannot imagine any scenario in which the SORC will allow any further modification or change of any kind! My limited chain of thought concerns CSH only! FYI, I only have cooling issues when I try to run with John Peeters in OSY.

Comment

• Lee Sutter
              Lee Sutter commented
              Editing a comment
              We tested the Cool Tube @ 1/4 inch with the 321 and it cooled @ 310 degrees and handled well. We have not proposed it to the PRO category.
              Last edited by Lee Sutter; 01-03-2017, 06:42 PM.

I could be wrong here but my understanding this will be for all Yamato's not just the 321.
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• Ram4x4
              Ram4x4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe that is the desire, yes, and to be optional.
          Working...
          X