No announcement yet.

Yamato Cooling Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to hear opinions on phasing out or even killing off the Yamato 102.

Comment

• Ram4x4
      Ram4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Why does the 102 need phased out?

• Matt Dagostino
      Matt Dagostino commented
      Editing a comment
      Ram.............Troy (14J) is our resident prankster. His opinion doesn't count....)

• Ram4x4
      Ram4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, so you're saying I just got punked?

Oh, the humanity!!!

• I think we should just eliminate all engines. All problems solved.
    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• For the record I don't care, just moving the debate away from Mr Pavlick and Mr Runne.

Edit: and cooling.
    Last edited by 14J; 12-16-2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• pav225
      pav225 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troy, good point as always. Time to check out for a while and get back to Christmas lights and building boats.
      - Mike

• ryan_4z
      ryan_4z commented
      Editing a comment
      Troy, People have been trying to shut me up for years. Namely, my family. I can't stop. I think I have some sort of disease....

• ryan_4z
      ryan_4z commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh god! I hope it's not the same one Matt has!

• Awww, don't do that. Let them have their say. Who knows, they might present an idea that might spark something in someone else. The beauty of the internet and forums is, you don't have to read every post if you don't want to. We keep hearing about secret agendas and only a certain few with all the power and things being discussed behind our backs...so let them discuss. Let us all discuss as we see fit. A solution will come out eventually.
    Dane Lance
    700-P
    CSH/500Mod

Comment

• ryan_4z
      ryan_4z commented
      Editing a comment
      Dane, The truth about secret agendas is that it is just what every boat racer assumes is the reason for someone disagreeing with them. After harboring this cynicism myself a number of times I have continually come to realize that we all want racing to grow. Its just like national politics. One side always thinks the other side is out to destroy their way of life when the fact is we all just have different opinions. It is hard to understand the opinion of someone you disagree with. When we all realize we are all on the same side maybe we will accept each others points of view with a more open mind.
      Last edited by ryan_4z; 12-16-2016, 11:28 PM.

• Ram4x4
      Ram4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I get it, that's why I said let them discuss! Just like politics in the nation, I think we often agree on what the issues are, we just don't agree on the solutions. The problems arise when we come to conclusion in our minds as to what the answer is and refuse to change it in the face of better solutions.

• Mike,

​I am sorry that I let my frustration get the best of me. I am trying to talk about the bigger picture and your only apparent concern seems to be how 20ssH will be affected. Let me try this a different way. I think the problem here is that no one has talked about what it means to be a participant in a sport that is a marketable commodity.

​Okay, so say you go to the races. Now, you only have a 302 and that is a C motor so you run CSH. You are not concerned about getting more seat time because now there is time to introduce a 3 heat, or 5 lap, or best 3 of 4 heat race format. It also eases the pain when you win and get a check cut for a few hundred bucks. Or, maybe you didn't win but you still got a check for tow money. Not to mention entry fees are nominal. You have no guilt over the judges stand workers working all day because they are paid and accommodated for the weekend. As are turn judges (so the Capt. isn't out there frivolously DQing your whole team for chopping when not one person has ever seen you do this). After packing up your one class and getting out of the pits at a decent time on Sunday make sure to set your DVR in case you aren't awake when the race airs on whatever motorsports channel at 3 am the following Wednesday. At which point you can bet the announcers will be talking about things like what size engine is run in this class and what kind of fuel and other pertinent technical information that is almost invariably discussed on televised racing because, believe it or not, racing fans do care about such things and this information helps them to understand the sport.

​This is the vision that I and others have for our sport. There is plentiful untapped potential in this sport but it will mean making sacrifices on the part of all in order to package this sport in a way that will make it marketable as such. Besides our jumbled class structure, I see two main points which limit the marketability of this sport. One is venue location and the other is race course size. Smaller race courses will make our sport more easy to view on television and lead to tighter races. (Think Yamato stadium racing where 6 boat fields have better races than most of our classes do with full fields.) Opening up ourselves to racing on rougher, smaller, less 'ideal' race courses will help make our sport marketable by making our races accessible to larger numbers of spectators. This is probably the most important part because spectators are what sponsors want to see. That is probably the number one thing that will get us sponsorship is spectators. In order to get them we need to race where there are people. In order to maintain a spectatorship we need a class structure that can be easily explained and understood.

​Again, I am sorry for venting my frustration. Pointing fingers gets us all nowhere, and, as I said before, I truly believe we all have the best of the sport at heart. I really do have the utmost respect for you and your family and it shames me to show my a$$ like that. It has been a continual point of frustration to see the potential of our sport continually stalled by our one class at a time mentality when it is plain that our whole sport needs comprehensive definition and re-structuring. Maybe this vision is absurd. Maybe it is not appealing to the majority of racers. If that is the case, so be it. I will race in whatever way, format, class I can until this sport fades from the earth. And, after that happens, I hope my fellow B runabout drivers will still want to get together so we can bang chines all day just for fun. Here's hoping it doesn't come to that.
    Ryan Runne
    9-H
    Wacusee Speedboats
    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

• pav225
      pav225 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ryan,
      No offense meant or taken.

It is true that often times "secret agendas " or "protecting trailer box" is used as an attempt to take an argument away from the facts. It has also been used when people disagree.

In this particular case, I'm referring to a specific proposal that would eliminate 20ssH. Therefore it has an agenda. It hasn't been shared with the racing public, therefore I would consider it secret. Since it would impact 70-80 of our 350+(??) drivers, I think it should be brought to light.

I do care about all of Stock and can see past just my class ( a good example of moving the argument away from facts by trying to discredit the person with differing views) but eliminating our 2nd largest class would really cripple Stock Outboard, so I have focused on that.

I've started a new thread for people to share their ideas openly and transparently with others. Feel free to use that.

- Mike

• ryan_4z
      ryan_4z commented
      Editing a comment
      Matt, I have no problem calling you out. You have cut me off more times than I am okay with and as a result I have to think you have no clue how wide a turning lane should be, whether in a race boat or a turn boat. As for the 300ss incidents, I was not on the course. I was out there for the call made on Joe Pater in the 20ssH final and when you approached me practically beaming with pride over the matter I told you what I will say now, He overtook my position and entered the turn like a gentleman. It was a poor call. The truth tastes fine on my lips.
      Last edited by ryan_4z; 12-19-2016, 12:14 AM.

• Val16E
      Val16E commented
      Editing a comment
      Again Ryan, as I reiterated on this thread (which you are ignoring for some reason) that call and every other call that was made we made collectively as turn judges...3 of us. You trying to "call people out" in the manner you are, is distasteful I think borderline inappropriate. This community of boat racers should not be trying to turn on backs on people or "call people out", but rather be civil and respectful towards one another.
      Last edited by Val16E; 12-19-2016, 02:39 PM.

• Okay.....I still would like my Yamato to cool. 🤓
    Sean Byrne

Comment

• pav225
      pav225 commented
      Editing a comment
      Matt,
      Thats good to hear.
      I assume the latest results show good cooling. Do you see any difference in boat handling or performance?
      - Mike

• Matt Dagostino
      Matt Dagostino commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike.............no ill handling issues. That is in the final report. Also pics of the final product will be included. Thanks for your input. You do a lot for boat racing in building boats and promoting progress in a positive and professional manner. Thanks for being objective and open minded. This process has been complicated and emotional to say the least. Change is never easy....

• Val16E
      Val16E commented
      Editing a comment
      As the driver in the test, ditto to what my dad said when we tested

• Ryan, Your vision is as worthy of discussion as any others and it's a discussion very much needed. However, this may not be the right venue, and certainly not the right thread for that discussion. I have fallen into the same trap many times.
    I'd like to apologize to everybody interested in this very important subject, for hijacking this thread.
    As a member of the SORC, we are going to do our best to make the wisest decisions we can to keep this very valuable class intact for all. And we all must realize that the result will not please everybody, that's reality.

Comment

• Here's a tee shirt for you Ryan. Mine is on it's way
      001.jpg
      Last edited by ricochet112; 12-17-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• ryan_4z
        ryan_4z commented
        Editing a comment
        Can I get one of those installed?

• Ryan,

You are my hero. All others on here are just white noise MODIFYING yamatos. They are all correct, we are not. How dare you believe our ideas have any merit while discussing such important topics with these genius minded men

The smartest guy in the chat room,

Uncle Tim Corl
      Team Red

Comment

• mike ross
        mike ross commented
        Editing a comment
        isn't it time to go duck hunting
    Working...
    X