Runabouts vs. Wimps (Save BSR!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runabouts vs. Wimps (Save BSR!!)

There has been talk about re-allowing side fins in B stock runabout. I hope that this is something that would go nowhere anyway, but the discussion must be raised. The B runabout represents the only true runabout class left. If all the runabout classes are going to go to side-fins then we might as well can runabouts all together and just race hydroplanes. It is said that the class does not grow because of the current fin rule. I say, what classes are growing? Only 300ss and the J classes. ALL other stock classes are stagnant. B runabout is the most fun you will have in a race boat and let me tell you the truth about something. Rolling up isn't that hard. It takes a little longer to figure out, but once you do you will know why we all love the class so much. It is the most fun you will have in a race boat. The falsehood that rolling up is so difficult is perpetuated by wimpy boat racers who should just run hydroplanes. As soon as we re-allow side-fins in B runabout it will completely change the dynamic of the class. It is impossible for roll-up boats to race the same when side-fin boats are on the course. What makes the racing so great is that we all do it the same way. As soon as fin-spray is introduced, the whole ballgame changes. That, perhaps, can be dealt with. (Although, side-fins have taken over every other runabout class--pushing real runabout drivers to the fringe in their own world. Yet, they do not grow either.) What cannot be dealt with, what will make the class just like any other, is the fact that allowing side-fins will open the door for wimpy boat racers to race B runabout. And that is what scares me most of all.
    Ryan Runne
    9-H
    Wacusee Speedboats
    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

It would be great to see a "Real Man" Mod Runabout class to compliment the B Stock "Real Man" class...
    Ain't see'n that happening though...

Comment

• ryan_4z
      ryan_4z commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember watching the 5-H and others roll up their DMRs when I was younger. That was always so cool.

Keep it rollup....no questions...
    I still run ASR no side fin, wont run a sidefin boat. no interest.
    I haven't had the pleasure of running BSR yet, but someday.
    ----
    Graham18ce
    Team Canada ThunderCat
    Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
    Twitter @FralickRacing
    Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

I think that a good compromise would have nothing to do with the B class.

Retard the 25ssr merc and 302's to open the way for the SW20 to be the motor of choice. This gives you a small runabout class with a SideFin option for a 200 lb driver. The Yamato was a band aid on to take 25ssr of life support and really has no business in this arena.

I ran this set up at TC it was a great ride and very fun. My interest would definitely be peaked if it would be competitive. My assumption others would as well. Most likely this why Worm stopped campaigning.

Adam
      Last edited by adamallen; 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Black Sheep
        Black Sheep commented
        Editing a comment
        I definitely agree with you Adam, The Yamato was a Band Aid for the dying 25 Runabout Class, and it kept the class alive.
        I had a decent running (Roll-up) 25R back in the day, and one day at Bakersfield about 10 years ago I parked it. It was clear the class changed to something that was no longer intriguing to me like it once was. I didn't ***** about it, I just went on my merry way elsewhere.
        BUT!!! If there were a roll-up 25 class again using the 20 SW and the 25xs, I would bust the out my Austin with the 25xs and field it with either myself or another youngster looking to " Grow a little hair down there "!!!
        Last edited by Black Sheep; 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM.

• reed28n
        reed28n commented
        Editing a comment
        Getting the restricted motors out of 25SSR was attempted. Lobbyists and special interests rigged the election the next year against the incumbent and it was all un-wound. Leave BSR alone. Leave 25 alone and let Nucch have his fun.....

BSR was always great fun to watch!

Without opening an ugly can of worms, can we ask what it would take for the guys who left BSR, to start racing it again?

I'm sure some have retired or changed classes, but maybe if we ask what tweaks could be made to the class to get more participants, we could head in that direction.

Keep it productive/positive and let's ask the question(s).

I'll start: Should the class be open to side fins? Would that add more/new drivers?

- Mike

Comment

Keep BSR a rollup only class! It is the best ride you will ever have in a race boat once you get the hang of it.

Comment

Rollup all the way! I don't think there is a more satisfying feeling in boat racing then winning a hard fought heat of BSR against the best drivers in the country. Rolling Up in BSR is the only thing that keeps it unique, with a side fin it just becomes another typical runabout class that is 10lbs heavier than a ASR and runs 5 mph faster. Would it add more drivers, I don't know. But from knowing the people who run BSR I could take an educated guess that you would probably lose a majority of the 13 boats that were at the nationals this year.

And plus, It just wouldn't be the same to beat Ed Hearn in a flat turning boat.

DR
          Last edited by racer3j; 11-10-2016, 03:32 PM.
          Dylan Runne

Comment

Back in the 60's I went to a Jersey race . There was a sign at registration that said " Vote against the H dimension ". When I asked what that meant, Gord McReady said that it was deck width and added ' if you start with this crap you will end uo with 2 hydro classes and no runabouts'. Smart man.

Rolling a boat up is easy.

Comment

I think I can talk about this real good. The reason that the side fin came up was because of a young kid that drove the 24P. I didn't like the feeling of chine turning a boat as much as I liked the fin. I was more in control with the fin. I figured being more in control was better and faster around the course. When we ran on rivers I used a roll up boat. Big turns was the Hydrobout for sure, But I did race the true B class with 20 cubic in motors, both the Merc and Hot Rod.
              There was nothing as fun as taking a turn in the Hydrobout with the hot rod on it. You still had to drive it not hang on like a Hydro.
              I don't think what ever you come up with will help grow the class, It's just so much easier to drive a Hydro than a Runabout.

Comment

I'm not sure what would help this class or any class these days. Would a side fin increase or decrease participation? Who knows...

What I can say is, I love watching this class and would be very reluctant to allow side fins.

I like the idea of the class being different than ASR & 25R. It may never grow to the numbers we hope but allowing side fins in it...not in favor of it.
                "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Having run bsr off and on for a few years now, I am looking to comeback next season with my new bsh and pull my racecraft out of the garage and run bsr again, if sidefins are allowed the boat will sit in the garage. Keep the sidefins in the classes where they are and leave B runabout alone.
                  Can we propose to make ASR a roll up class?
                  Last edited by j hydro racer; 11-10-2016, 04:35 PM.
                  Johnny Wlodarski III
                  24J

Comment

The best race course you can have for a B is no more then 30 feet between two pins for a turn. You will never see a better race than that for a B

Comment

• MITCH MEYER
                      MITCH MEYER commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Spud, I assume you mean a real B (20ci) Mitch

Too bad I'm sort of on the big side.....I can roll up a CSR!

Keep B a roll up class! The most fun I had in years was rolling up an AMR "B" in Wilson NC

Great ride'

Tim
                    Tim Weber

Comment

Having had a dog in this fight for the past 20 something years, here is my opinion. To date, BSR as it is currently called has been the most enjoyable class I have raced on the stock side of things.

The light weight rigs with the small powerplants enable the driver many more opportunities that can not happen with a side fin. You can manipulate the boat to turn left and right with very minimal consequences. The h.p. to weight ratio allows for a comfortable and controllable ride being a 150# driver or a 200# driver. I have experience at that entire range. There is considerable difference in acceleration between a B and an OMC A. Notice to the powers that be, safety is increased when a driver can maneuver both directions at speed.

I had the pleasure of being initiated into the class by being a field filler in my first few races. Completion included the likes of Ed Hearn, Brad Shaub, Ron Thomas, Cooper Jess and Jeff Scheffler on a local weekly basis. Did I get it handed to me? Sometimes, but more often than not, those competitors were racing against you as if you were a seasoned veteran in the class. This enabled me to be a better driver.

On a National level, you were lucky to be in an elimination heat that didn't include at least half of the competitors that had either a Divisional, Winter, National, or High Point Championship to their credit. Was that intimidating, slightly, but I welcomed the opportunity. Why did anyone that had a roll up A boat try and borrow any hot rod they could? Because it was the great ride. Plain and simple.

Don't just limit the class to short course. I can with no hesitation say it is just as sweet running the course at Indian River, Crooked River. So fun in fact, I went about 20 miles with a boat that was breaking to keep going. I encourage everyone to race Top O' once in their life in a B. Pete Lauer won the entire Marathon......in a B!

There's a lesson that many of today's society don't want to face. It takes work to get good. It takes alot of work, and time in the boat to get great! Not many are willing to commit to that type of dedication because they don't receive instant results. In BSR, every seemingly tiny move will make a massive impact. It takes a long time to realize that.

I won't name call anyone as Ryan eluded to in the first post. I feel these are the same people who couldn't attend their classes Wednesday because their politico of choice was not elected.I will say that the BSR class has been messed with enough. If you can't handle it the way it is, don't race it. I'd you want to go for one of the best rides in your life, give it a try.

The above post is not a reflection of or supported by any candidate or motor manufacturer.
                      DAVEY 18w

Comment

Ryan, I see the diplomacy classes have paid off!

Comment

Working...
                        X