X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APBA's newest member

Racing membership #15527 George W Bressler Jr
    This is the realization of a life-long dream to go boat racing
    My Father- George W Bressler Sr raced D utility when I was a kid; I still remember sitting in his Speedliner and staring at the river
    I went motorcycle racing instead but everytime a hydro heading to the races passed me on the highway my heart would pound
    Many thanks to Linda Likert/APBA for helping me wade through the red tape I wasn't smart enough to figure out on my own...You are an Angel
    Many many thanks also to Richard DesPortes, Jerry Wienandt & John Mauck for their support & guidance
    Last but certainly not least THANK YOU to John Runne for building me a boat that will eventually show you all the fast way around the race course
    GB

Welcome to boat racing and see you at Lock Haven George!
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Welcome to boat racing.My dad raced b utility in the fifties and races still at 81 in 300ssh and his original b motor in 250mh.Don't forget to look my up at loch haven.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrelboydeluxe View Post
        My Father- George W Bressler Sr raced D utility when I was a kid; I still remember sitting in his Speedliner and staring at the river
        I went motorcycle racing instead but everytime a hydro heading to the races passed me on the highway my heart would pound
        Many thanks to Linda Likert/APBA for helping me wade through the red tape I wasn't smart enough to figure out on my own...You are an Angel
        Many many thanks also to Richard DesPortes, Jerry Wienandt & John Mauck for their support & guidance
        Last but certainly not least THANK YOU to John Runne for building me a boat that will eventually show you all the fast way around the race course
        GB
        Hello George,

Is your Runne a hydro or runabout? And, what class?

Good Luck and Welcome To Boat Racing.

Dean Hobart....... Racing Boats Since 1962.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Hey George - I think we talked for a while at Berwick. I had the 20SSH for sale. Glad to hear you pulled the trigger on a Runnecraft (that's what replaced the boat for sale). I'll be around at Lock Haven Sunday and Monday if you have any questions or want to help out.

Dave Breisacher
          26-P

Comment

I am nothing less than honored by the responses and likes this post has generated-you guys are heroes to me
            I will never forget the love & encouragement you have shown me already- just as I will never forget the words jsilvestri had to his crew after destroying the field at Lock haven a few years ago- "The motor's running pretty good"- I think I was hooked right then

The boat is a 20ssh BTW- tomorrow at Lock Haven God willing I will hand Mr Runne the balance due
            Thank you Lord Jesus Christ, Elmer Carl Kiekhaefer and the APBA
            George Bressler

Comment

GB
              That's Good: "the fast way around the race course" Sure took me time & nobody was more surprised but, very well worth all those finishes on the other end lol. Good Luck & Welcome aboard.
              Team Tower

Comment

I am nothing less than honored by the responses and likes this post has generated-you guys are heroes to me
                I will never forget the love & encouragement you have shown me already- just as I will never forget the words jsilvestri had to his crew after destroying the field at Lock haven a few years ago- "The motor's running pretty good"- I think I was hooked right then

The boat is a 20ssh BTW- tomorrow at Lock Haven God willing I will hand Mr Runne the balance due
                Thank you Lord Jesus Christ, Elmer Carl Kiekhaefer and the APBA
                George Bressler
                George,

Is your motor a Sidewinder, Yamato 80 or Yamato 302 restricted???

Thanks,

Dean Hobart...........

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

George, thanks for honoring your Dad's racing legacy with such enthusiasm. You will make lifelong friends, best of luck!
                  Dale Powell Jr.
                  Palmer, Alaska

Comment

Dean -It is a Yamato 80 that came from fishinworm here on HR-Really looking forward to wringing it out a little
                    Dale- I applied for # 522- which was my father's birthday; it was available but have not heard back from APBA yet

Speaking of GWB Sr...today at Lock Haven I had the chance to meet Don Pontius- and was astounded to hear that he remembers him very well and actually has a picture of my Dad he wants to send me (!)
                    I have approx. a doz. old B&W photos of the old man & his racing buddies that I took to the races today and lo & behold guess who was in there?
                    Don Pontius' father Leon Pontius! So I gave it to him.
                    Today was the greatest day with the greatest people...It was **** near dark and they still had 1-2 heats to go

Comment

Dean -It is a Yamato 80 that came from fishinworm here on HR-Really looking forward to wringing it out a little
                      Dale- I applied for # 522- which was my father's birthday; it was available but have not heard back from APBA yet

Speaking of GWB Sr...today at Lock Haven I had the chance to meet Don Pontius- and was astounded to hear that he remembers him very well and actually has a picture of my Dad he wants to send me (!)
                      I have approx. a doz. old B&W photos of the old man & his racing buddies that I took to the races today and lo & behold guess who was in there?
                      Don Pontius' father Leon Pontius! So I gave it to him.
                      Today was the greatest day with the greatest people...It was **** near dark and they still had 1-2 heats to go
                      Wow,

Don Pontius is a legend in C and D Stock Runabout. Beautiful boats and many National Championships... 32-P. I think he drove Speedliner Runabouts. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                      Last edited by DeanFHobart; 09-04-2016, 07:17 AM. Reason: Info
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Dean
                        In the 1950's/60's, Leon Pontius had a Mercury/Speedliner dealership in Hummel's Wharf, PA. I remember going there with my dad BITD
                        The picture I handed Don At Lock Haven Sat. was of Leon standing in a Speedliner/KG9H at a race somewhere- so I'm sure Don ran Speedliner early on.
                        Later, Don drove a runabout called a CJ- which Mr DesPortes told me was the first runabout that could actually turn like a hydro
                        Sunday I ran into Don again at LH and asked if there were any CJ's still around- he said not but he does know where an orig Speedliner is in a barn near Hummels Wharf...Mr Pontius still lives in Hummel's Wharf BTW- lived there all his life he said

The best pic I have of GWB Sr. shows him kneeling in his Speedliner roping over a KG9H; getting ready to head to the starting line I guess
                        The life jacket he has on hung in the hall closet for many years long after the race boats were gone- my mom wasn't allowed to throw it away
                        On his helmet it says "SHARKIE"... I will take some pics of these photos & post them here but I need to get my son in law over here to show me how to do it- I am a technological numbnuts
                        GB

Comment

Dean
                          In the 1950's/60's, Leon Pontius had a Mercury/Speedliner dealership in Hummel's Wharf, PA. I remember going there with my dad BITD
                          The picture I handed Don At Lock Haven Sat. was of Leon standing in a Speedliner/KG9H at a race somewhere- so I'm sure Don ran Speedliner early on.
                          Later, Don drove a runabout called a CJ- which Mr DesPortes told me was the first runabout that could actually turn like a hydro
                          Sunday I ran into Don again at LH and asked if there were any CJ's still around- he said not but he does know where an orig Speedliner is in a barn near Hummels Wharf...Mr Pontius still lives in Hummel's Wharf BTW- lived there all his life he said

The best pic I have of GWB Sr. shows him kneeling in his Speedliner roping over a KG9H; getting ready to head to the starting line I guess
                          The life jacket he has on hung in the hall closet for many years long after the race boats were gone- my mom wasn't allowed to throw it away
                          On his helmet it says "SHARKIE"... I will take some pics of these photos & post them here but I need to get my son in law over here to show me how to do it- I am a technological numbnuts
                          GB
                          George,

As if I remember, Don ran a Yamato on his runabout when they became the motor of choice. Either 20 Runabout or C Stock Runabout... Or both. I'm not sure for how long. I don't recall the CJ runabouts.

Good luck in your boat racing venture.

Dean.......................................
                          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• dwhitford
                            dwhitford commented
                            Editing a comment
                            CJ = SeaJay, follow-on runabouts (as I understand things) to the original SpeedLliners.

John Puestow still has a Pontius CJ [or SeaJay???] runabout in racing condition. Mikey won the 500ccMR nationals with it in 2014. I raced it in DSR, a few years ago, too.

​Fred Hauenstein
                          Last edited by Fast Freddie; 09-05-2016, 05:28 PM. Reason: name
                          Fred Hauenstein

Comment

Hi George & Fred,

Hope you are both well. I agree the advent of the "Hydrobout" can be credited in part to John P. and his beautiful rig. I learned up close and personal at the 1986 Wakefield Nationals that the round chine boats were not the ticket on a long course. I believe Bud Pinto had a silly fast rig that won CSR that year.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                            X