Tohatsu motor issues solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tohatsu motor issues solved

Finally figured out what was wrong with my d stock motor. There has been two issues I have been fighting with motor for the last two seasons. 2 years ago at silver lake eatonville I hit a roller hard and entire rig came out of the water, prop included. Rig was not as fast after that....took motor in to Steve benson and he found that I had bent the crank....even though it was tack welded at each journal. Motor was still not as fast as it was....we later discovered the bottom lap seal was destroyed, possibly as a result of running motor with bent crank....not sure. The only fix for it was to order a new crank, which has been done. 2nd issue was electronics....3 different motors with numerous sets of electronics all did the same thing....intermittent spark on plugs 2 and 3. What we discovered was the starter solenoid had a short in it...and was causing the issue. Go figure. I want to thank Darren, Alex, and Tim for all of the help you guys gave me....I sure am lucky to have you guys as friends . Dave

Dave, I'd say your motor issue was quite unusual.
    I can't think of anything more punishing on a motor than the Top O' Michigan race. I drove my first Tohatsu through the Top O' three times (I broke a throttle cable on my fourth attempt) My Tohatsu never missed a beat, and never needed much more than spark plugs and an annual water pump impeller.
    I'm glad to hear you have your troubles behind you.

Comment

That's why Darrin let you install the electric start. Race motors are suppose to be pull started. My dad made a deal with me when I started. When I could start my KG4 I could go racing. Glad you figured out the electrickery
      mike ross

Comment

• mercguy
        mercguy commented
        Editing a comment
        that's what I told him Mike!! But Dave is a little guy.....LOL!! Anyways, glad you got it all figured out Dave..............interesting, when I put the electric start setup on my powerhead for you to use in Wakefield, it did not affect my ignition setup................now ditch the electric start and start your motor like a big boy!!!

Hey......my arms are the size of toothpicks....I am far to delicate to pull start a mighty tohatsu on my own.....

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
        Hey......my arms are the size of toothpicks....I am far to delicate to pull start a mighty tohatsu on my own.....
        Start doing pushups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
        X