Castlerock novice C, 300SSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castlerock novice C, 300SSH

Seattle Outboard Association held a very successful event this last weekend, with the western winter nationals on Saturday and a regular club race on Sunday. With great weather, lots of entries, good water, and the most spectacular view of a dormant volcano in the United States, it was a weekend to remember. We had some where around 120 entries each day, with nationals held Saturday. I will let the race director give all the winners etc in another post. For the first time in region ten. we ran 300SSH in an event with the novice C's, which is a local class. Joe Johnson was kind enough to bring his rig up and run with us....thank you Joe! Hopefully this is the start of something big in region 10 for 300SSH......

Dave - sorry I missed the action... how did the 300SSH fair against the Novice Cs? Just curious (those not in Region 10, Novice C has same restrictions as CSH for prop height/boat weight/engine specs), drivers just draw a 2 bladed Pinner prop - SOA has about 20 of these props all built to same specs...

Comment

We were all suprised that the 300 SSH boat driven by Joe Johnson was as fast as the novice C boats.....

Comment

Originally posted by Shane_B View Post
        Dave - sorry I missed the action... how did the 300SSH fair against the Novice Cs? Just curious (those not in Region 10, Novice C has same restrictions as CSH for prop height/boat weight/engine specs), drivers just draw a 2 bladed Pinner prop - SOA has about 20 of these props all built to same specs...
        How do you get a prop to same specs with hand hammering, grinding, shaping and polishing? They may look the same but will not run the same.
        "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• 3 Point Drifter
          3 Point Drifter commented
          Editing a comment
          So as a participant in the Nava C class for that race I learned that it's a random draw for the props and then after the first heat another random draw for one of the 20 props shuffles it up a little bit. As this was my second race I was practicing on other skills such as starting. Sure had a lot of fun.

• Shane_B
          Shane_B commented
          Editing a comment
          As close to same specs as possible - but some props perform better than others and that varies from boat to boat anyhow... as 3 Point Drifter states, they do a random draw for each heat to level the playing field so to speak. Great opportunity for those of us that are new(er) drivers/prop poor - also since boats set up same as CSH, makes transition to CSH/other classes much easier. Very popular in R10.

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          Prop swap each heat is good, was not putting down the idea in these classes with random picking a prop from a box just saying no two props are the same. Yes the classes are a great learning for novice drivers. Are only Pinner props used? When I raced APBA back in the 70's in 20ssh and 25ssh all I used were Harry's props.

Correction that would be Novice C class. Still learning how to type also ha ha

Comment

I don't understand why you guys in R10 feel the need to re invent the wheel with the novice C class ? We have had great sucess with the 300 SSH since it's inception 3 seasons ago here in R6 and combining these two classes really goes against the original intent of the class . I said my piece so let the flaming begin !!!

Comment

• Shane_B
            Shane_B commented
            Editing a comment
            It wasn't a 'reinventing the wheel' scenario, R10's Novice C class was out before the 302SSH/300SSH was developed... Really needed at the time for new drivers - out here in R10 a new driver in CSH would be potentially running in same heat as JMK, both Kyles (Bahl and Lewis), Peters, Adams, and a number of other highly experienced, aggressive drivers with top notch equipment... a sphincter-tightening experience for sure (I know). Novice C gave/gives new drivers opportunity to hone their skills in a less 'combative' environment with an actual opportunity of winning!
            Last edited by Shane_B; 05-05-2016, 01:20 PM.

• Racerkyle20
            Racerkyle20 commented
            Editing a comment
            As mentioned in other posts. The SOA Novice C class was created before 300ssh. Don't believe we were 'reinventing the wheel' More heats for novice drivers seemed like (and continues) to be a good idea.

Novice C was around before 300.
          No new equipment required in Novice C
          10 plus entries at every event.
          Loan your boat to your buddy and they might win!

Comment

• Harold8
            Harold8 commented
            Editing a comment
            Just curious, what are the restrictions in Novice C? In the 300ssh class anyone can buy the motor and race, new or veteran driver. Is it the same for novice c?

Interesting concept this Novice C class. I'm not knocking it as from a financial point, it's a great alternative to having to spend $3,000 for a sealed motor, but...

How does a boat with an engine and foot that's been tricked to maximum allowable CSH regs compare to a stock Yamato, even if they are running a 2-blade prop? Seems the higher dollar engine would still have the advantage?

One other question concerning Novice C, are there restrictions on how much experience a driver has in order to enter in the class? What's stopping anyone of the folks you mentioned from slapping on one of those 2-blades and driving aggressively in the class?

I suppose though it would be no different than those same folks running in 300ssh.
          Dane Lance
          700-P
          CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Shane_B
            Shane_B commented
            Editing a comment
            There is a restriction on participants - can't run Novice C if you've won a CSH race... intent is to get new drivers opportunity to compete and win (and get experience prior to jumping into CSH). As for blueprinted foot/engine, there may be some advantage but to tell you the truth it's pretty even across the board if you have your boat set up right (engine height/tuck). Some 302s run up front in CSH right out of the box with nothing more than a polished foot ($150).

• GrandpaRacer
            GrandpaRacer commented
            Editing a comment
            There also sort of a gentalmans agreement that the class is for new drivers to learn. My grandson ran it for a while and did real well. After he won our Novice C championship we told he was finished.

Shane.....you are pretty much spot on in your comments. Tony Perman and myself noticed a while back that quite a few racers, both those just getting into the sport and those that have been around for a while, were leaving stock racing, especially in the Yamato classes, due to the cuthroat competition....we decided to keep those racers interested by introducing the Novice C class to both Seattle Outboard Association and to CORA, our sister club in Portland. Not to toot my own horn, but the opportunity for racers to compete in Novice C has worked out far better then either Tony or myself would have dreamed....people that were becoming frustrated with C stock and 20SSh have gained valuable experience running this class...and it helps those with limited funds run, due to the fact that they do not have to purchase expensive props. Keep in mind, Novice C is NOT a class that people can run forever....there are restrictions, as noted by Shane. The hope of Jeff Brewster and myself is that people running this class will move into 300SSH.....much more to come on that later. Dave

Comment

I like this Novice C thing. Last year I ran a number of races in the Michigan school boat and with Dave Deck's TecCraft, mostly in 300ssh, but I bought a boat at the last race in Michigan and using Dave's 102 on it I ran it a couple times in CSH. I have yet to try it in 20ssh with a restrictor plate. This year I will be running CSH and 20ssh as I have a 102 with the boat. It'll certainly be about learning and gaining some driving skills, and I have no illusions of winning anything. I don't have the funds to purchase a 321 before the season starts for 300ssh, but man, if we could run something like this Novice C on this coast, that'd be great.
            Dane Lance
            700-P
            CSH/500Mod

Comment

Working...
            X