Tube gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube gauge

What gauge steel tubing do you guys use for building your boat carts? I think I'm going to use 1.5" square, but not sure how thick the walls need to be? Seems 1/8" walls would be a bit on the heavy side. Was thinking 12 gauge would be strong enough and save a little weight, or will an even thinner gauge work?
    Dane Lance
    700-P
    CSH/500Mod

I use 1 inch square tubing with an .095 wall. Plenty strong.

Comment

If you use aluminum, 1.5" square with 1/8" wall, light, strong and no rust.
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Built my first one over the winter. I tried a modular design using inch and a half, inch and a quarter and 1 inch tube. It's an experiment which hopefully makes transportation easier.

Comment

Recommend you use solid tires for your cart build - cost a bit more and heavier but won't deflate on you and won't float (pain in the a$$ when recovering boat when the cart floats up due air in tires). My cart is constructed of aluminum like ZUL8TR mentions - also modular so longest part is roughly 6 ft long (use lynch pins for quick assembly).
          Last edited by Shane_B; 04-19-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Yeah, aware of the solid tires, but too pricey at the moment (I already have some regular air-filled ones), same for aluminum. Just going to crank out a very basic steel one for this year. I have plans for one that folds and is telescopic, but not going to try to create it this year, too much other stuff to get done and spend $$$ on.

Since the aired tires have tubes, I could fill them with water to keep them from floating.
            Dane Lance
            700-P
            CSH/500Mod

Comment

Working...
            X