Help Wanted - CSR Race History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Wanted - CSR Race History

I am the fortunate owner of a 12' Stippich C Runabout that I raced in APBA CSR & DSR classes in the 1980's. I purchased the boat and 2 MK30H motors from the 2nd owner. I believe the original build date was around 1960 and that Carl built the hull for his sons Keith & Gary. I found the attached photo of the Stippich Team trailer online recently and to my eye, it looks like the boat on top? I have been told over the years that the boat won at least 1 APBA Nationals event. Any additional details or race history would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chuck

charles.petersen11@gmail.com

To my eye I think this trailer shot would be in the mid 50,s as they all have pointy noses. I had a 1960 Stippich 13' DSR Carl had built for Gary as a welcome home gift for Gary's return from the service. It had a "Quack" nose and a fabric deck. and was the widest one Carl built as it was called a Floater and built especially for the 1960 Hilton nationals where I think he took 3rd. I think all the boats since then were built with the "Quack" nose and fabric decks for all classes. It was a bit of a hand full to turn as it had to be rolled up on its 35 degree chine even tho it was rounded. It took a long lanky guy to drive it. Bill Lutner bought it but couldn't turn it so he sold it to me in 1961.I was long and lanky in those days and had some success winning on the bigger courses as I had a real 55H which need some distance 5to get rolling. I won the tristate champion ships at Beloit several years in a row. You may remember my graphics with 66.W. The only success I had at Nations was Cedar rapids Iowa in 1965? where I was fastest qualifier and finished 3rd. I quit in 1979 and Bill bought the boat back and converted it to a pointy nose and he and his Grandson Tim Weber raced it for several more years, Don't know if it still Exists as it was sold to someone in Northern WI. I do have a copy of Carl's plans for this boat but never got around to building one. I got into classic boats in the early2000's and bought 3 55 H's, I still have two which I am now trying to sell as well as one of Carl's last builds, a 78 DSR built for Harold Barnes. I restored it and put my graphics on it. My avatar is that boat taken at the Wakefield nationals. I'll attempt to attach some photo's of the 60 boat taken at Beloit. Jon
    Jon Walters

Comment

• Gootz 142M
      Gootz 142M commented
      Editing a comment
      A handful to turn indeed. I went out of one with an ASR that I borrowed from Gerry "Jigs" Gillespie

Thanks Jon! This was the other photo I found. 1960?

Comment

Jon has his dates slightly off. The 3-W with the state registration WS7974BA was Keith's DSR. How do I know this? My grandpa bought it from Carl in 1963. We carried that boat registration number until my grandpa died in 1990. It was run as 33-W when my grandpa had it. It was just easier to add another 3. I believe the 3-W was built in 61 or 62.

The 5-W was Gary's CSR and I think he won 2 nationals in it. Some other folks will chime in. Dave Bryan would know. The boat rig was sold to Jim Mehl.
      Jim ran it for a number of years with success. I think his number was 151-W.

The quack/floater that Jon mentioned was built in 67 or 68. We had the boat at the 1970 Beloit nationals. Ron Hill won that race in his famous Bounty Hunter. I think in 71 or 72 the boat was sold to Jon. I remember the day he came to look at it. It was sitting on the grass next to the garage.

As some of you know, our Wisconsin number was 45-W. Well just like 33-W it was easier to add a 4 in front of the 5. The 45-W was available when John Araco retired.

Both boats for their time were real fast. The 3-W /33-W qualified with my grandpa at the 1963 Boston nationals as fastest qualifier out of 40 DSR's.
      He finished 5th and would tell you he blew the race when he missed a buoy in the first heat. That always bothered him.

Tim
      Tim Weber

Comment

Thanks Tim!

Bill was a gentleman and an inspiriration to me when I got started in 1983. That's where the #83W came from! I wish I had a 13' version for DSR as the 12' boat was a handfull in rough water. Ironically, what really made this rig happy was a Yamato 102 in CSR. I never could afford to go all out in 2 classes, but the few times I was able to borrow a motor & good prop, the ride was awesome. Hope you are well.

Chuck

Comment

You're right Tim. Lost 10 years there as the Hinton Nationals was 1969. I bought the year after the Beloit National's. Sorry. After building Jerry Wienant a 1960 Sid Hornet replica I can tell you it's a lot easier to build a quack as the pointy noses had a lot of stringers coming together with no place to grab them to glue together. Jon
          Jon Walters

Comment

Chuck, what is the year and make of the boat on the top rack of the trailer?
            Kegs

Comment

Kegs,

I am not sure of the exact year, late 1970's - early 1980's Bowman Broccoli 25SSR. Original transom.

Comment

Chuck, Looks like my old 25SSR from back in the late '70s. Who did you get it from? Will try to get you a picture. Kegs
                Kegs

Comment

Chuck, Looks like my old 25SSR from back in the late '70s. Who did you get it from? Will try to get you a picture. Kegs
                  Kegs

Comment

• ctpdsr
                    ctpdsr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Purchased from Don Klotz in Milwaukee, WI. 1987 or so. Boat handled great with the 25SS, not so with the 25XS conversion. Color was yellow in the day. Don't know if Don was the original owner.

Second Stippich to join the fleet. This was Norm Schaub's CSR. Great boat.

Comment

Working...
                  X