How much longer for the Y-80??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much longer for the Y-80??

Just wondering what the people think on how much longer for the 80, especially since the new 321 is out now.

Mod approved up to .030 over which adds more years😎

Comment

lots of them out there, and some are still strong, good news

Comment

The Y80 is a great 350 Mod engine. It is a fast and very competitive class. The 80 may not have a future in the stock world but with very simple mods you can have a blast in either the 350 mod hydro or runabout. They should be around for a long time.

Comment

The Y80 is still a strong runner, in fact still running up front at a lot of races and still constitute the majority of entries in 20SSH. Can buy a complete outfit for $2000. This is a great way to introduce a newbie on a budget to the sport of stock outboard hydroplane racing.

Comment

Purchased my first one in the early 80's, they were called tomatoes. Looked down on them by Merc guys. One of the few motors that the prices went up and you can sell them for more than you paid for them. The motors are finally going down a bit. My first motor cost $425, while a new one cost $1,200. We now have two stock 80s and two mod motors. We should allow some rule changes that would be easy to do that would keep it competitive with the 321.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought my 80 in 1977 and ran it in 1978 APBA Region 5 in the probationary 20ssh class. There were a few runners then and it quickly became popular because you could run in more classes (I ran 25ssh and 20ssh) and it was a relatively cheap engine. But had to do the 9/16 shaft for prop selection. In 1978 since overall weight for the 20ssh (380) was 25 lbs more than 25ssh (355) I ran the same boat since the Y80 was about 25 lbs more than the 25ss. Did the rule committee do that on purpose? The Y80 was way more fun than the 25ss. Still have it along with the 25ss.

• CSR4C
              CSR4C commented
              Editing a comment
              Bought my Y80 in spring of 1977 price $395. At the Nationals that year, Tom Ige sponsored a class (local B) Prizes: 1st New Yamato 80, 2nd used Yamato 80, 3rd 80 powerhead. I took 2nd place. The price had gone up to $425, sold the motor I won for $395. Racing Yamatos for over 30 years, I was always able to sell a motor for at least what I paid for it. Up grades & maintenance about $3000 total for the 30+ years. That's inexpensive racing.

At least a dozen 80 Mods in basements and garages alone in Reg 1 and 2 that have not been run since 2000. Problem would be to find the guys that own them.
            sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Y-80s can still be very competitive in 20ssh. Donny Allen won 20ssh at the 2014 nationals running a Y-80. Also 3rd, 4th and 5th at the 2015 Wakefield nationals were running Y-80s.

Comment

The Yamato 80 and 102 have been the backbone of Stock Outboard Racing for 35 years!! Let's delete this thread before the SORC decides to legislate the motors out of racing.... the Yamato 80 is the engine of choice for most new racers and the 102 is also a affordable option for the low budget racers (which is most of us)...... )))

Comment

If anyone is looking for parts let me know. I know where there is a shed full of 80 stuff, and the owner is no longer racing due to a bad accident.

Joe

JJohnsonc139@gmail.com

Comment

Great motors! I had one to run on my hydro and let my brother, Spud, run it on his runabout in 20SSR. After a hard day of racing, people were in the mood for some recreational watersports so he pulled Jaye Berghauer waterskiing with it. How many other stock racing motors could do that?

Comment

Will there be CD ignition available for the 80?
                      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Yes, from what I understand. TJ has them I believe. May have to get one for my 350 Mod.
                        Joe Silvestri
                        CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                        JH/JR

Comment

Working...
                        X