Yamato 302/321 kill switch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato 302/321 kill switch wiring

We have been using the Safe-T-Stop kill switch in all our boats for years. When faced with the newer Yamato's you need to kill each coil separately. What I did was remove the single throw/single pole switch in the mount and replaced it with a single throw/double pole switch. One coil is attached to one side and the other coil to the opposite side. I tie the ground side of the switch together and run the ground back to the engine. Easy and simple fix. Just need a 3 wire trailer plug and wire and your set to go. Anyone else tried this?
    Alan

There is an OMC now Bombardier switch with three wires for dual engine installations. One for ground (the black) and the other two to the coils (black with a yellow tracer).
    Some use two, two wire switches using a common ground wire, so they can go back to one switch for a 102/202 magneto. But it has to be desiginated as to which switch will work for the magneto. Front one, back one, top one or bottom one depending how the switches are mounted.
    There is also some way to put diodes in the ignition itself to use a two wire switch, but I feel this is making things more complex with the chance and problem of a failure in the diodes and not interchangable with other engines, if you needed to do an engine swap with someone who doesn't have that system..
    Always remember the the KISS method. Keep It Simple Sh**head!

Comment

• Tom Cronk
      Tom Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      I HAVE 3 WIRE SWITCHES IN STOCK.tOM

I like R's KISS methodology, but I have run a diode for 15 years without a problem. It's about a 30 minute conversion. Tom Johnston has a diode available that I believe is from a Mercruiser. If a remember correctly it a three wire set up. He even has a wiring diagram.

The main reason I used the diode was simple, no one had a three wire kill switch in stock.

Tim
    Tim Weber

Comment

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      I made a 3-wire kill switch for the Motoplat on my Quincy from a snack-bag clip. It's dirt simple and works great!
      Last edited by dwhitford; 03-19-2016, 11:17 AM.
Working...
X