Yamato 302 kill switch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato 302 kill switch wiring

Does anybody know where I can find a diagram to wire in a kill switch into the 302?

this is what i used
    http://yamatoracing.com/302_kill_wiring.pdf

Comment

It is stupid to use an expensive 3-wire kill switch or 2 ordinary, 2-wire ones when you can buy 2 power diodes for about $1.00 and use a 2-wire switch like other Stock/Mod motors and 80-102 Yamatos use.

Comment

Originally posted by Team B&H View Post
        It is stupid to use an expensive 3-wire kill switch or 2 ordinary, 2-wire ones when you can buy 2 power diodes for about $1.00 and use a 2-wire switch like other Stock/Mod motors and 80-102 Yamatos use.
        Sam,

Provide the guy with a wiring diagram.......... I think that is what he asked for. Or a picture.

I'm not a wiring type of guy myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean.............................................. ..............................................
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Dean..........i am with you. Sam is right. Most of the 302's i have seen lately use the diodes and hence can run the 2 pole kill plug used on most of our other Stock Classes

The diodes are simple to use. Stick one end in each coil wire connector and connect the two ends together for one wire to the kill switch. The other kill switch wire is an engine ground. A diode is basically a one-way switch so it does matter which end you stick in the connector but that is easy to figure out by the printing on the diode itself. I got a box full of them if you need any.

Comment

Portage Bay Systems, the Keller OEM, sells the diode stop switch kit for the Yamato 302.

http://www.portagebaysystems.com/marine/products4.htm (scroll down to the 8th picture & description below)

"210, Dual-Input Kill Switch Kit, used to allow two separate ignition sources to be grounded through one single kill switch. The two separate ignition sources may be two separate ignition sources on a multi-cylinder outboard such as the Yamato 302 or may be two separate outboards such as a dual outboard installation. Kit includes kill switch, dual-input diode, lanyard, and wiring instructions, $47.95 "

Comment

• ronronx
            ronronx commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy the 208 three prong kill switch and use the flat three prong plugs and wire them the same as in Ric Montoya's attached diagram. Two prong flat plugs will also connect to the three prong flat plugs so as long as you are connecting to a common ground, the motor will stop. Gives us flexibility when it comes to the need to run multiple engines with different wiring. If needed, move the wires on the back of the kill switch until you get the ground wire properly aligned with the different motor so it will stop. It's not complicated. In the end, all we are doing is connecting the coils to ground which kills the motor, just like in the old lawn mower days when to kill the motor you pushed the flat plate down onto the top of the spark plug to create a ground and the motor died. Pulling the cord, grounds out the coils and the motor stops. Regardless, all of Ric's diagrams and the other suggestions mentioned here work. All you get to do is decide which one works best for you and your needs.
            Good Luck Mate.
            I say Mate a lot lately because my boss is Australian. I also use a lot of other words I probably shouldn't lately and use my boss being Australian as an excuse:-) but my wife isn't buying it for a minute.
            Good luck and best Regards,
            Ron
        Working...
        X