Registering an old restored hydroplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering an old restored hydroplane

hey guys any help will be greatly appreciated. Here's the problem I bought an old home made hydro from a junk collector I've been restoring it, I went to try to register it and am getting no where with the DMV or courthouse I'm in south Florida. Has anyone ever tried to do this? I'm just wanting to run it legally on your race hydros is it Legal to run them in public waters?

In Maine we can(run) Test a race boat that displays a valid # from a Racing organisation.. I had the State issue me a letter that shows we ( local boat club ) are the only valid entity . At theraces I host in Standish ( previously APBA sanction ) I get a permit from The State of Maine the exempts us from registration under the states Title 12 . If you are having trouble geting a registration - You can register the boat in Maine as a non resident - then transfer that registration to Fl.

Comment

Do a google search. There is plenty of direction concerning registering water craft in FL.
      Sincerely, Don Graham

Comment

I have found that telling the person/s at the DMV exactly what they want to hear..
        "I have a home built wooden boat that is 10' long and an antique 16 h.p. motor."
        " They are valued at 400.00 each. And yes , I have a home built trailer valued at 300.00"
        "Thank you sir,,, that will be 21.75." Sent the paper work to Wildlife and Parks. Got my numbers in about 3 weeks...

Comment

In Wisconsin I just needed to put down home made in the manufacture space. Entered values the same way as runabout333.

Comment

• runabout333
            runabout333 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!!.. Just tell them what they want to hear!!!

Originally posted by hydromann View Post
          hey guys any help will be greatly appreciated. Here's the problem I bought an old home made hydro from a junk collector I've been restoring it, I went to try to register it and am getting no where with the DMV or courthouse I'm in south Florida. Has anyone ever tried to do this? I'm just wanting to run it legally on your race hydros is it Legal to run them in public waters?
          I live in Orlando fl and have hydros that I used to race, now just run on lakes at AOMCI meets. As said above all I did was tell them that it is an old homemade 10ft wood boat with a small antique outboard (no $ value was given since I wasn't getting a title, never had one) used for pleasure and they gave me FL #'s and a registration sticker. I also registered the trailer as a gift for $1 (from my relative with papers for the gift) for the tag. I didn't mount the #'s on the hull, put them on a piece of white plastic (that floats) and just tape them on the the cock pit side when I need to use them. Didn't want to ruin the look with the crappy FL #'s. plus I can put the FL #'s on each boat one at a time to run since they are essentially the same size.
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• hydromann
            hydromann commented
            Editing a comment
            wow they are giving me the run around here DMV sent me to the court house to get a court order, court house said I have to file a paper for bla bla bla lol that cost $300 to file I explained to them its a $100 boat I bought from a junk collector he gave me a bill of sale?? I am lost im just looking to be legal but it appears the fine I will receive for running an unregistered boat may be cheaper?

I also live in Maine, used to race.. but don't anymore. I haven't had any problem getting a recreational boat number for my "LAKER" Just listed it as 12 ft. homemade wood construction w/ 50 hp motor and assessed a small value to it, then walked away with a registration number. Expansion chambers aren't loud enough for game wardens to bother me.

Comment

Wow you guys are lucky I have been thru the ringer. DMV sent me to courthouse courthouse sent me on a wild goose chase, gota love south florida!!! I mean im just trying to register a old wooden boat!!!! very frustrated

Comment

Pm me your info and I will get you a Maine Reg - Then take it to DMV and get a FL reg.

Comment

• hydromann
                hydromann commented
                Editing a comment
                what do I need to send you?

Full name , address, boat length , Hp of motor , cost of boat .

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                ZUL8TR commented
                Editing a comment
                Why not just go to a different DMV and just tell them the minimum needed as noted here to get the registration?

11.5 ft is a big hydro for a Y80 unless it is really light like around 120lbs. But for lake running safer with the weight. Is it a pickle design or a round nose? I run my 10 ft round nose hydro (same one as in my Avatar from APBA days) with a Y80, boat is 125lbs with hardware.

Good luck getting it registered.

• hydromann
                hydromann commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey I found a private tag agency here that claims they can do it I'm going to give them a shot I'll keep you posted. Thank you again for all your help

You should have just registered it as a homemade boat ( that you built) and you would of had no problem. I've done it many times in Florida where I live. Also, some DMV offices are easier to work with than others!
              Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the good info. I went to a private tag agency and they knew exactly how to get the boat registered. Again thank you for all the help

Comment

Working...
                X