APBA - BOD write - in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Howie Nichols View Post
    I asked the question last night during our monthly Board of Directors think tank meeting about Insurance and separating out the Categories into different policies in hopes that we could get a break in cost. It was explained that the way it is working is that we go to a company or agent and that is SIG, they then act as our agent and take our request to the actual Insurance company (at this time Everest). Our rates are often determined by loss ratio as well as other factors.

So what they do is package the organization together (with a few exceptions) and offer it to the Insurance company to get the best rates. It has been done like this for a very long time. To explain it differently - If you were to go into a hardware store and look at buying say (10) 1/4-20 bolts the cost is $0.25 each or $2.50 total then you look in the next bin over and can buy a contractors pack of 25 at a cost of $5.00. So in the example you are now getting 5 free bolts.

This is how Insurance works for pricing, both APBA and the agents work together to then determine the cost that each category should have which is why the outboard category has a lower fee, our loss ratio and liability is typically (but not always) less than say the OPC category.

APBA is in the process of renewing the Insurance for the next year and has very competent APBA members working on that team to try and get the best they can for us. Once the renewal process is complete perhaps (unknown time frame) we can ASK if its possible to loosen some of the restrictions (in this case) for outboard only events, my feeling is and based on everything being discussed and that has transpired that for at a minimum the requirements will remain the same as they were for the current year. Remember these guidelines are in place to protect all of us, from the drivers, to the officials, to our family and crew members, and if we happen to get spectators then them as well.

Hopefully this helps to understand what happens, I do not have all the answers but as a BoD member, official, crew, and driver I can certainly help to try and find out any other information that is available.
    Anytime that you here someone say "we have done it like this for a very long time", RUN!!! It's a sure sign of a load of BS. And Howie, I know you're the messenger here. Not taking a shot at you.

Howie, does the BOD plan on approaching companies other than SIG?

Comment

• Howie Nichols
      Howie Nichols commented
      Editing a comment
      Adam,
      SIG is not the Insurance Company but the go between. I am not on the Insurance Committee,but at this time I believe the answer is no we will stay with SIG as our agent.

Anytime that you here someone say "we have done it like this for a very long time", RUN!!! It's a sure sign of a load of BS.

Well said Adam. That's the point of my whole purpose here is, when you continually do things as you've always done them, you will always get the same result. Howie, I've been in this organization for 50 years and I don't know what the BOD does aside from the description in the by-laws but by definition I would say they should direct / lead APBA into the future.

I don't want to disparage anybody that has stepped up throughout the years and taken on leadership roles in APBA, I appreciate their commitment and dedication for all they have done. But this organization can not continue down the same path we've been on. The status-quo is failing us. Being just a sanctioning body during decline can only lead to more decline.

There are some things that are working and working very well. Driver schools, event boothes at Unlimited races and the 302SSH class as you mentioned are producing results but the question remains, How do we expand these things into Regions like yours Region 5, Regions 2,3,4,7,8,9,11,12,14,15. All of these Regions, which is the majority of the country have shortfalls in membership, money and races. Certainly, you know that. There are solutions, you know the phrase "Think outside the box"? All of the ideas that we have tried in the past are in the box, and we need to bury the box.

Comment

• 1hshawwpba
      1hshawwpba commented
      Editing a comment
      Well you are 100% correct and with the new APBA board elections we have gone backwards, reelection of the same group of Weber and Wheeler friends to the APBA board! Hang on it will be the same old BS for at least 2 more years or until we can get rid of Wheeler and Weber who think they are entitled and have a will continue to benefit themselves and friends on their private agendas while membership will continue to decline and cost will go up! Every club that puts on a race in 2016 will be paying a 25% INCREASE IN INSURANCE COST, due to an accident that happened at a Inboard event ( look at the sanction and see who the APBA official were running the race) and due to them not following APBA rules on minimum distances and spectator fleet set backs ( apparently this has been going on at this race for years) now we all will pay! Remember the board appoints the president of APBA not the members, and with the current NEW members to the board these 2 culprits have gained back control and will continue to travel the same roads we have been down for the past years while they continue to benefit from us paying members!
      It is a sad day for the membership of APBA !
Working...
X