Sidewinder update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewinder update

Just wanted to give everyone an update of my conversation with Ron Selewach from Sidewinder.

I asked Ron if I could share what he & I discussed, and he gave his blessing, so here it goes.

First let me say, we can all be arm chair quarterbacks on this project and tell them they did this wrong or that wrong, that is not the intent of this post. This is to give everyone an update on where this project is at. If it starts to go south I may delete the thread. Let’s try and keep it as positive as possible.

Sidewinder began setting up machining production for 20 engines based on what they thought they would sell, so they upped it by 25% and planned on building 25 for the next run. They quickly realized they had underestimated the sales/demand as the orders started coming in faster than anticipated. This was while they were ordering castings, gears, and the few other parts they don’t make in-house. (We can all speculate what caused this demand but it’s not important to this update)

A big part of the cost for these type of projects is the set up for machining, as most of us probably know. Once a setup is made, the procedure needs to be completed for all parts on that run before the next part is set up, and so on and so on. That is why they made the decision to stop and restart with 50 engines instead of the original forecast of 25.

Because of the time restraint they were under, they didn’t have enough time to transfer all of the machining operations to Jesel that was intended to go there, as they did not want to hold it up even longer. They have been working non-stop and are nearing the end of the machining phase. They did rely on Jesel to help on a few of the projects that had already been transferred to them.

Everyone that has an engine on order will be receiving theirs and there will be a few engines left over for inventory based on the current sales. Following the run of 50, they will begin another run so that they can have motors in inventory ready for immediate purchase, they will be in a continuous production mode going forward.

Gears for the lower units were another issue. They had to find a new manufacturer and that put them behind. They have not received the gears yet, but they are scheduled to arrive any day. With this change they should get a much quicker response from the vendor that produces a quality product. They feel once they have the gears the assembly of the lower units should go very quickly for both the Sidewinder and J/A lower units.

They believe they are through all the start-up challenges, have a stable design, vendors that produce a quality product that are responsive to their needs. They also feels going forward that Jesel will provide quicker machining capabilities and more flexibility in manufacturing.

So now the part everyone is waiting for, a date when the motors will be available. Ron understands that this is what many of us want. I can understand his reluctance to do so now after having a conversation with him. He wants to be confident they can meet that date, so therefore he is unwilling to do so at this time but feels they are close.

They feel all of the machining is close to being done and when it is, Sidewinder plans on reaching out to those with engines on order with a date. They feel they can get the 50 engines out very quickly once this occurs.

There was a lot more to our conversation, but I feel this gives at least an update of where they are at.

Hopefully I’ve captured the conversation as accurate as possible and if I have not please someone correct me as I did not intend to do so.
    Last edited by Big Don; 06-17-2015, 12:34 PM. Reason: had to fix a typo, I had 20 in the sentence, They feel they can get the 50 engines out very quickly once this occurs.
    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Well Don I hope this will stay on the positive side but there will always be at least one
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

20150617_122003_resized.jpgI have Sidewinder steering bar tanks in stock.I will be bringing some to Wakefield with me. If you want I can put your name on one. Or I can ship them now.
      Last edited by spud62w; 06-18-2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the much needed update. Glad someone stepped up and reported the Sidewinder current status. Well done!

Comment

Thanks for giving us some information and hope.

Comment

Don, thanks for the update. Having been in outboard racing for years, we know how engine manufacturers, boat builders, prop makers, or engine builders all tend to be later than promised. The fact is, there isn't much profit nor volume in our sport to expect much more. What is important to learn here is some information really is better than no information. Even without a firm promise date, some status is what should be provided and we thank you for that. Please let customers know the honest status, even if it is not what we desire.

Comment

Paul, I could not agree more, I'm sure Ron will never recover his investment. He told me he did this to give back to a sport he loves, that it was never about making money.
              "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Don, I totally understand and respect that. No good deed ever goes unpunished. That is why as racers we should be understanding and feel fortunate that so many have given so much for our sport, yet we tend to be mean spirited too often. Simply answering the phone, here is where we are at, and we can't unfortunately yet promise you a completion date yet works for most.

Comment

I can confirm everything Don has said. I had this conversation with Ron a little over a month ago. Being in manufacturing myself I can appreciate the money and time that has been put into the Sidewinder. This effort started from a blank piece of paper. You are always striving for continuous improvement for the product. You are constantly evaluating everything about the product you are producing; reengineering, suppliers, etc. you cannot have a mediocre product being delivered to the customer. Without customers there are no sales and word of a bad product has a direct affect on sales. I'll add a little to what Don has said in regards to the electric start option. Everything has been done for it, the engineering, patterns for castings, CAD programming for setup, etc. no pricing has been set yet. Once the current 50 engine production run is done focus will shift to options like the electric start. Everyone just needs to be patient a little longer. I think everyone will be happy at the end of the day. I'm one of those patiently waiting people. This is a big part of stock outboard racings future.

Comment

Working...
                  X