Boat racing our life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat racing our life

It was 46 years ago that I was nearly killed when I was run over by a B Pro. The driver missed the first turn buoy and ran over me when I got to the second buoy. The front of his boat hit me but fortunately I jumped and he struck my pelvis and upper leg, breaking my leg. I under went surgery to repair my leg with a pin and plate that ran the length of my femur. I am so thankful that I do not have a limp, and most days have little issue with my right hip. I sold my D hydro that winter and purchased a B Mod. Hydro which I raced for thirty five years. The sport has be good for me, but not a sport a dentist would normally select for his life's hobby. The What's Up Doc? Team has won over 100 championship races and we plan to continue to compete.

Originally posted by Hydro doc View Post
    It was 46 years ago that I was nearly killed when I was run over by a B Pro. The driver missed the first turn buoy and ran over me when I got to the second buoy. The front of his boat hit me but fortunately I jumped and he struck my pelvis and upper leg, breaking my leg. I under went surgery to repair my leg with a pin and plate that ran the length of my femur. I am so thankful that I do not have a limp, and most days have little issue with my right hip. I sold my D hydro that winter and purchased a B Mod. Hydro which I raced for thirty five years. The sport has be good for me, but not a sport a dentist would normally select for his life's hobby. The What's Up Doc? Team has won over 100 championship races and we plan to continue to compete.
    WOW................................ What more could be said.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Compound Femur/ titanium rod in my first season. 20 years in, going for 21.

I often tell the story of racing two classes (D-Mod, 250cch) back to back. When I finished one class I could just jump out of one boat, let it drift, head for the other boat that was all warmed up and pointing the right way. Upon returning from that heat the first boat was fueled, warmed up, pointing the right way with three guys waiting to get me going. All this without even asking for help.

If you're reading this chances are you know why we race boats.
      Last edited by PRO-MOTIONRACING; 03-13-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I didn't like asking for special favours, so I ended up running split heats of ASR then split heats of 25SSR with the same boat. I had the 25 set up with the right tilt, fueled up with the steering bar on shore. Took the A off, changed shims, clamped the 25 on, tied it down, hooked up the throttle, got in, ran the next heat. All with 3 minute guns and no delay. I ran well that day, may have even won both classes.

Comment

In region 10 (Seahawk country) the say "the separation is in the preparation"

I needed plenty of help on that day the point was, I didn't even need to ask.

Comment

Region 5 in the 1970's was a popular place to race with all the great weather and huge entries. I was running 25SSH and the Yamato Y80 was put on the schedule in 1978 probationary as 20SSH. Most racers had 2 boats one for 25 and 20, I had the one in the avatar. So the deal for me was run all heats of 25 (back then there were eliminations in 25SSH, lots of boats) then set up the same boat for the Yamato in a relatively short time. The next day they would reverse the schedule so the guys with one boat could run 20SSH from the day before then set up for 25SSH and for guys with the same engine used on hydro and runabout, etc. This became an issue when inspection wanted an engine tear down. At the end of the week end I was ready to go home but had a great time. Things were very busy with racing and a full time job during the grapefruit circuit with lots of weekend races in a short time period. If stuff broke lots of nights working on it for the next race weekend. I had great times with at least 13 weekends a year back then, made long term friends.

I had lots of great help in the pits, testing, tech, etc from Harry Pinner, Marshall Eldridge Jr., Jack Perrow, John Schutzenhoffer, Dave Rawsen and others and my wife. My help was also given to anybody. Thanks to all.

Here is a pic of Ocoee, Fl to get an idea of the entries. The view in the other direction was just as busy with entries.
            Last edited by ZUL8TR; 03-14-2015, 03:23 AM.
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
              Region 5 in the 1970's was a popular place to race with all the great weather and huge entries. I was running 25SSH and the Yamato Y80 was put on the schedule in 1978 probationary as 20SSH. Most racers had 2 boats one for 25 and 20, I had the one in the avatar. So the deal for me was run all heats of 25 (back then there were eliminations in 25SSH, lots of boats) then set up the same boat for the Yamato in a relatively short time. The next day they would reverse the schedule so the guys with one boat could run 20SSH from the day before then set up for 25SSH and for guys with the same engine used on hydro and runabout, etc. This became an issue when inspection wanted an engine tear down. At the end of the week end I was ready to go home but had a great time. Things were very busy with racing and a full time job during the grapefruit circuit with lots of weekend races in a short time period. If stuff broke lots of nights working on it for the next race weekend. I had great times with at least 13 weekends a year back then, made long term friends.
              I had lots of great help in the pits, testing, tech, etc from Harry Pinner, Marshall Eldridge Jr., Jack Perrow, John Schutzenhoffer, Dave Rawsen and others and my wife. My help was also given to anybody. Thanks to all.
              Here is a pic of Ocoee, Fl to get an idea of the entries. The view in the other direction was just as busy with entries.
              Yes.............. The Good Ole Days. Although I never made it to Florida for the Grapefruit Circuit. Back then there was about 6 - 8 weeks of straight racing....... Every weekend.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Having just passed the 30 year mark in my boat racing career.....I can honestly say I have never been around a finer group of people. Before I started boat racing (I used college tuition money to buy my first boat, Man were my parents pissed) I was both a ski instructor and a giant slalom racer. I was mid pack most of the time....I won a few events....but the comradere in the ski racing circles was very poor....racers would do whatever they could to "mess up" other racers.....Need a binding part? Sorry..can't help you. It got old real fast. I sort of expected the same thing from boat racing. Yet, people seem to go out of their way to help each other....even in the same class. Not bragging, but I had a very fast Mercury powered rig during the Merc Challenge days...(D stock Hydro) Went to my second nationals ever at Youngstown Ohio, set the fast qualifying time, and the motor went south. Could not get it to run. I was stunned that several of the people that were gunning for me came up and said they would loan me a backup motor. Wow.....I will never ever forget that...and it continues to this day. I have have my biggest rivals come up to me after I have broken motors or boats at a race and say...."here you go....use my backup boat and or motor" What do you say to something like that? I sure have made a lot of mistakes in regards to boat racing over the years....but you know, I will go to my grave knowing I have been involved with the finest racing organization in the world. Dave

Comment

Working...
                X