Merc 15 help needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc 15 help needed!!

While testing the kids AXH yesterday he got shocked through the throttle ! Looking at wiring there were no visible signs of wore through wires ect... The throttle cable plastic covering was wore through touching the cowl and was obviously could conduct a current. Open to any suggestions where I should look next.
    Thanks!
    Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Chris...............usually if the wires arn't frayed then it is in the switch. Val and Justin have had switches 'short' over the years. Better to put in a new switch and make sure it is up high enough in the cockpit to avoid water from the bottom of the boat. Just my thought.

Comment

Was there any water in the boat? and were the tether switch wires immersed in the water? And also is the bowden wire/bowden cable touching the water? If so, need to change the wires. When it happened to me I went to double insulated wire.

Jeff
      Jeff
      5-P

Comment

My son put the boat together while I was tested mine and he forgot the drain plugs. So the boat got a ton of saltwater in it! And yes the kill switch is low.
        Thanks for the info!
        Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Ouch............SALTWATER testing. Say it ain't so. Saltwater will put any electrical system to the test. Hope you ran a bucket of FRESH water through the motor when you were done to get most of that residue out of the Merc. See ya at Tabor City.

• crfabbro2F
          crfabbro2F commented
          Editing a comment
          I know saltwater is no good, but too easy to test in your backyard!

Took a wave over the bow of my practice hydro & got that, the water was too ruff. I think my excess current came thru the T cable tho since the tether is [should be at least] non conductive.
        Team Tower

Comment

Working...
        X