Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cocktail Class Racing... Any Interest ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocktail Class Racing... Any Interest ??

CocktailRacer3.jpg To all,

Is there any interest in this "Cocktail Class Racing"? They are racing in Florida on Sat. Feb. 28th at New Smyrna Beach and Tues. March 3rd at Lake Placid, Lake Apthorpe..... I think these are AOF races.

It looks like a well run organization.... Basically in the Maryland area. Their web site is: www.ccwbra.com, "Cocktail Class Wooden Boat Racing Association".

The boats are a "One Design", called a "Skua". Full size plans and kits are available at: www.clcboats.com, "Chesapeake Light Craft".

I'm interested in Any Kind of Boat Racing... So just asking if there is any interest out there? Looks like fun. They use 6 hp or 8hp outboards.

Regards,

Dean Hobart..................
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

At looking at the webb-site,,, the older John-rudes appear to be the dominant motor..
    Lots of boats from Virginia,, some from Maryland,,, Pennsylvania and Tennessee.
    Boat racing ladies in their 50's are cool..

Comment

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      The Cocktail Class races over in Urbanna, VA, about 35 miles east of me in the brackish creek where they used to race Inboards & Outboards long years ago. The creek is really tight, so APBA stopped granting sanctions for Inboard & Outboard racing there for safety considerations a long time ago.

A local club has a place for building the boats and helps with the construction for newbie boat builders. The boat building and regatta, in May, I think, get lots of good local press. The engine restrictions are quite specific, 6 & 8 hp bald-stock Johnrudes, but I think equivalent old Mercs are now legal too. All the engines are old enough now to be quite affordable on the used market.
      Last edited by dwhitford; 02-13-2015, 05:31 PM.

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    The boats are a "One Design", called a "Skua". Full size plans and kits are available at: www.clcboats.com, "Chesapeake Light Craft".
    Funny, I just ordered a kayak and surfboard kit from CLC. Really impressed with the way they treated me, the information they offered up, how-to videos and quality of their kits. I thought, if the JSH/JSR/302ssh ever went to a single-design-boat, a partnership with CLC would be quite logical - call, order-up, pay with a CC if you'd like, add whatever hardware you'd prefer, and shipped the next day. Epoxy and build materials included.

JP
    http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• bill boyes
      bill boyes commented
      Editing a comment
      How come the guy never gets any Epoxy on his pants ?

• Team 12R
      Team 12R commented
      Editing a comment
      Why not do that in OSY also? Cool idea....

• Karl Dyle
      Karl Dyle commented
      Editing a comment
      The braintrust could make this class work in J, just a few dozen minor tweaks to the rules and they could come up with a workable set of class rules that would for sure make this class way better. More expensive too

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
    Funny, I just ordered a kayak and surfboard kit from CLC. Really impressed with the way they treated me, the information they offered up, how-to videos and quality of their kits. I thought, if the JSH/JSR/302ssh ever went to a single-design-boat, a partnership with CLC would be quite logical - call, order-up, pay with a CC if you'd like, add whatever hardware you'd prefer, and shipped the next day. Epoxy and build materials included.
    JP
    Yo,

A "Stitch and Glue" Hydro and Runabout would be cool.

With a kit, you could most likely build a boat in a weekend........ This is only a "Slight" exaggeration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No cutting, trimming or fairing of parts....... The
    parts are all 3-D lofted, so they fit together exactly.

I've built several "Stitch and Glue" rowing boats and kayaks.......... It's easy... Piece of Cake.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I think this is a great Idea. Lake Racing was how I got into organized outboard racing 60 some years ago. Those that love competing on the water will be inclined to graduate into APBA, AOF, NBRA. The but is: Will they accept Cocktail Racing?
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n430478[/ATTACH] To all,

Is there any interest in this "Cocktail Class Racing"? They are racing in Florida on Sat. Feb. 28th at New Smyrna Beach and Tues. March 3rd at Lake Placid, Lake Apthorpe..... I think these are AOF races.

It looks like a well run organization.... Basically in the Maryland area. Their web site is: www.ccwbra.com, "Cocktail Class Wooden Boat Racing Association".

I'm interested in Any Kind of Boat Racing... So just asking if there is any interest out there? Looks like fun. They use 6 hp or 8hp outboards.

Regards,

Dean Hobart..................
        Looks like alot of fun for anyone to have. These motors are laying around all over the place. I even have one sitting in my garage. My daughter is 6 now and i would love to see her involved in this when she gets a little older. I would bet the person with the largest check book wont always be the winner.
        I was talking with my father last week about putting something together cheap for my daughter to get out this summer and start learning and showed him the minimost and how cheap i could put one together for. Yesterday he downloaded free plans and purchased some wood.
        Hope the cocktail class continues to grow. We might have to put one together

Comment

Originally posted by chuck w View Post
          Looks like alot of fun for anyone to have. These motors are laying around all over the place. I even have one sitting in my garage. My daughter is 6 now and i would love to see her involved in this when she gets a little older. I would bet the person with the largest check book wont always be the winner.
          I was talking with my father last week about putting something together cheap for my daughter to get out this summer and start learning and showed him the minimost and how cheap i could put one together for. Yesterday he downloaded free plans and purchased some wood.
          Hope the cocktail class continues to grow. We might have to put one together
          The Minimost and Minimax are cool boats also.

Good Luck..................
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I am currently helping a neighbor friend get more speed from his Cocktail racer. I have never worked on an OMC engine but my thinking is to change the timing and work with the propeller. Does anyone have a suggestion or two that could help. It is a shame the outlawed the KG4H or KG4Q since I know what works for those engines.
            David
            Aeroliner Race Boats

Comment

Originally posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
              I am currently helping a neighbor friend get more speed from his Cocktail racer. I have never worked on an OMC engine but my thinking is to change the timing and work with the propeller. Does anyone have a suggestion or two that could help. It is a shame the outlawed the KG4H or KG4Q since I know what works for those engines.
              DavidAeroliner Race Boats
              David,

Check their rules about "Modifying" the propeller. You might want to call their Tech guy.

Best Regards,

Dean Hobart............................
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBat View Post
                I think this is a great Idea. Lake Racing was how I got into organized outboard racing 60 some years ago. Those that love competing on the water will be inclined to graduate into APBA, AOF, NBRA. The but is: Will they accept Cocktail Racing?
                Bill
                Hello Bill,

The Florida races are part of AOF. At their other races, "Up North", the Cocktail Class Association races on their own, without any other association.

Regards,

Dean Hobart............................................ ......................
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• SeaBat
                  SeaBat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dean,
                  I see where that there is a group that is active in Washington and have a race scheduled at GIG Harbor Chum Festival. Will you be at the 45 race at Newberg, OR Memorial Day Weekend? If so will see you there and we can talk.
                  Bill
                  36R Pit Monkey, 200ccMod
              Working...
              X