Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock, Mod, Pro Super Nationals - 2016

To All,

For awhile now the Stock and Mod Summer Nationals have been held together. This year the Pro Summer Nationals in Kingston, Tennessee has invited some selected Mod classes for the North American Championships.

I know that in the past a Stock, Mod, Pro Super Nationals has been discussed. The 2016 Summer Stock, Mod Nationals will be in Hinton, West Virginia.

What about making it a Stock, Mod, Pro Super Nationals? Or, changing the location to the Kingston, Tenn. site and having it there.

Please voice your opinion. All opinions welcomed............ Pro, Con, etc.

One "Con" that I can think of right away is the amount of time (days) to complete the event. One "Pro" would be that people would meet new people from the different divisions.............. Maybe creating some interest in the different divisions and classes.

Best Regards To All,

Dean Hobart............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ........................
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Would be great for our sport if it could happen. To me the only problem would be time. Look how long the days are in a stock/mod nationals, Now add 10+ classes. I have been in this sport a long time on and off. Its amazing on how many stock/mod racers have never seen a pro class race other than OSY or 125cch. I pretty positive that the Pro division would only GROW.
    sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

I agree, if this were to happen the Pro category would get a much needed boost! The issue with time could be resolved if the Stock and Mod classes adopted the 3 heat format. The event would still take 4 days but it would be pretty cool. Another issue would be finding a race site with enough pit space for all the race trailers.

I have raced at a few Stock Nationals and countless Pro Nationals. The 3 heat format is by far my favorite. And contrary to popular belief, you can use the 3 heat format for classes with more than 12 entries (we do it all the time). Besides making Every heat exciting, it eliminates the ridiculous process of racing on Tuesday, tear down equipment, then race again on Friday. With the 3 heat format, I know 1100ccR runs on Sunday and a champion will be crowned on Sunday.

Just my opinion.

Zach
      R-13

Comment

Interesting idea. I am not sure that Kingston would be the right choice for a couple practical reasons: (1) Pit Space, (2) Availability of water is 4 days only and (3) limited availability of hotel rooms (although no less than Hinton)!!
        David Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
          To All,

For awhile now the Stock and Mod Summer Nationals have been held together. This year the Pro Summer Nationals in Kingston, Tennessee has invited some selected Mod classes for the North American Championships.

I know that in the past a Stock, Mod, Pro Super Nationals has been discussed. The 2016 Summer Stock, Mod Nationals will be in Hinton, West Virginia.

What about making it a Stock, Mod, Pro Super Nationals? Or, changing the location to the Kingston, Tenn. site and having it there.

Please voice your opinion. All opinions welcomed............ Pro, Con, etc.

One "Con" that I can think of right away is the amount of time (days) to complete the event. One "Pro" would be that people would meet new people from the different divisions.............. Maybe creating some interest in the different divisions and classes.

Best Regards To All,

Dean Hobart............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ........................
          2017 Pro/Mod Nationals are in Kingston.......sounds like a great match up!! fast and loud!!
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Just too bad there is not a single event membership to run as it was in the past. Right now you need to join for the year for this one race.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Rusnak View Post
              Just too bad there is not a single event membership to run as it was in the past. Right now you need to join for the year for this one race.
              Is there not a Single Event Membership still available?... I guess we need to check.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
                Matt Dagostino commented
                Editing a comment
                Dean..........nice chatting in Detroit. I don't believe single event memberships can be used at Championship events like Divisionals and Nationals.

Last year you could not get a single race membership. They did 2 years ago for the 1st year in Kingston
              sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Any divisional or national championship the is no single event membership. The Worlds this past year you needed to join for the year if you wanted to race. Might have kept a few from entering, I don't know. I do not know the difference between a APBA race where you can join for the event and if there is a divisional you can't. Is there any logic to this. Just asking.

Comment

• David Weaver
                  David Weaver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bob, championship races are still important to some drivers in terms of the accumulation of season points and points towards Hall of Champions. Not allowing a single-event entrant, reserves these championships for drivers who are competing season long within the organization and supporting the organization/category through their membership.

I have the exact opposite point of view. I'm probably going to be the only Pro guy that will post this view. Mod and Pro--close enough to run at same event. Stock and Pro select classes on local level HEY have fun. But a large championship event is not my cup of tea with Stock & Pro. There is way to much difference with safety,speed and official understanding and opinion as to how to run a race. I was never for the combining of the APBA rule book with Stock Mod and Pro. You see MAIN Difference is like oil and water. Stock wants lots of rules,Pro wants many less. I'm not hear to argue right or wrong only to tell well intentioned Racers like Dean that many are not in favor of this type of combination. As The USTS has been having success they would never be for this type of combination. Why i will attempt to address some. Three heat format. limited classes. no weights , divers needed at race. fast day ending as weather permits within 5 hours. Small simple rule book. Well anyway have at it as you wish. all racers land air or sea are of a kinship but can not race together even if it would be fun.

Comment

• David Weaver
                  David Weaver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is interesting. In order to hold such a "super" event, we would all have to leave our ego's aside and embrace boat racing competition as equals. Let's face it, not all are going to do this and would rather stay home than participate in such a novel, perhaps one-time event. For the purist or elitist, this would be unthinkable, dare I say blasphemous. Of course, for those who enjoy racing and understand that outboard racers are all related, it would be bearable for one, very long weekend.....we might even make some new friends and learn from one another.....

• tcf284
                  tcf284 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you know david weaver good point when I grew up with my dad racing there was no he is a stock or he is an alky guy ,every race had stock and pro and although mods weren't to popular in fl back then im sure they would've been there too .,my only concern about a super nationals would be time constraints that's it our "kneel down categories are dying some of this is our own fault that whole separate stock/mod/pro there is just not enough in one category to keep a crowd interested ,for example at the worlds this last October there was 20-30 minute intervals of nothing no boats on the water, no anything going on the crowds don't understand that a world event has to allow for time between heats they just wanna see racing "a show" any ways im off my soap box now carry on lol

David, If you are a National Champion you are to be considered good, should be able to win period. What are the afraid of? It should not be excluding the local racer that would like to give the Nationals or a divisional's a try. Also a single event entry will be of no threat to any one running for points. So I still see no logic but a money issue for APBA. I keep asking, "why did all that entered in the Worlds" have to join for the year one race. No one was running for points in that event. David, this is just my opinion and means nothing.

Comment

• David Weaver
                  David Weaver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bob, if one joined APBA to race at UIM Worlds in October that membership is good also for 2015. I guess I do not see why one would not spend the "net" $100 or so to become an APBA member versus single-event member. If money is that tight, then one should probably not be racing anything.
                  Last edited by David Weaver; 02-07-2015, 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

I can remember back in the 70 and 80's that US Stock Nationals at Sarnac Lake, Dayton Ohio, and Wakefield, etc. used to get 600 to 700 boats, 4,5,6 elimination heats in each class and it all would get run off in the scheduled time period. From what I've seen nationals for all three categories might make up that number of boats! If it was done in the past could it not be done now? Referees, inspectors, etc from each category to make it work. Just a thought.

Comment

Harold is right. 100+ ASH's at Dayton meant 8 elimination heats , but they all got run off quickly and efficiently. But, no fooling around. Start at 9AM; not 9:01. Run the heats, don't have 15 minute breaks for someone who, after a whole year, isn't ready to race. Make sure the patrol boat people take their job seriously and are there for the next shift when the boats come in.

The nationals Harold remember had people like Fred Miller, Pat Davids and Jon Stone running heat after heat with no delay.

I was there , only qualified for the finals once , but worked on the judges stand and in the patrol boats and saw what good organization, good leaders and a willing workforce could accomplish.

Comment

David, that is an unfair response, sorry. We support and race with the US title Series which you do. A good value which you must agree as you race with them also. If we decide to race one APBA race close to home a year we have no objection to paying for a single event entry. It is our decision to go racing where ever and spent our racing money where we have the most fun. I don't want anyone telling us if we don't have the money to pay APBA their dues we should not race. If APBA was the only option, yes it would have been paid but there are other options right now which you get a lot more for your money. When the Title series held APBA sanction races, yes we paid for the year. When we make only one APBA race a year, there is no point is joining for the year. I support boat racing and it has been a good part of our life as you have done. This whole thing was about a single day event and why you can't enter a Nationals event with out joining for the year, nothing else. You remember when the CBF was accepted and allowed to race at our nationals, what changed? Greed. As I mentioned before, this is just my opinion and this is why these thread's are started, not to cause trouble.

Comment

• David Weaver
                      David Weaver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bob. no bad feelings or wishes on this end. Just expressing my opinion as well. It is your choice not to join APBA and it is APBA's choice to set requirements for its championship events. All good!

• R13racer
                      R13racer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was thinking of racing at DePue this year. Can you guys tell me how much a single event membership for the USTS costs? Thanks…

Yes, all good.

Comment

• Bear513
                      Bear513 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds great for the drivers and race teams.
                      But boring as heck for the fans watching on shore.
                      It could only work at a massive site , pit friendly site, Midwest lake like Dayton, Winona or zansville

Maybe instead of a nationals, you could make stuff up and call that race like say..the A.B.P.A. UNIVERSE, MILKY WAY OUT BOARD CHAMPIONSHIPS OF THE ENTIRE GALAXY

or something to that effect

Just a thought.
                  Working...
                  X