Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much are you willing to spend to boat race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sporting pursuits especially racing come at a price and your better off not looking at the receipts. We all want to compete at the highest level but at the end of the day we participate in a hobby sport and it should be about the fun (except for Adam, he comes to win!). Keep your pursuits within your own personal budgets and enjoy it.

I took my family skiing this weekend and dropped $2,500.00. Yes, $2,500.00. Hell that's half the price of a new Sidewinder in one weekend. Stock Outboard Racing is cheap!
    Last edited by 14J; 12-03-2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 14J View Post
      I took my family skiing this weekend and dropped $2,500.00. Yes, $2,500.00. Hell that's half the price of a new Sidewinder in one weekend. Stock Outboard Racing is cheap!
      Where did you ski? How many in the family?

Comment

• 14J
        14J commented
        Editing a comment
        Whiteface, Lake Placid, NY. Family of 3. Lift tickets, New outer wear, season rentals, and lessons for the 6 year old, Tune -up on existing equipment. Broken binding. Room and board 3 nights. Gas not included. My diesel equipped Jeep sips fuel.

P.S. I took up golf this summer, don't get me started on what that cost for an active player. My point is, its all relative and nothing is particularly cheap. My belief is that the cost of stock outboard racing is fair.
        Last edited by 14J; 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM.

Mount Everest I think. Troy I am glad your saving money not racing Hopefully we see you at some point this year
      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

I've always figured $600-800 per weekend, fair for motorsports racing.

My son and I race boats, golf and are season pass holders at Mt Hood Meadows. You only live once!!!

Whiteface is on my East coast bucket list...

Comment

How much am I WILLING to spend? A lot less than I really spend.

Comment

• PROPDOC
            PROPDOC commented
            Editing a comment
            That's priceless Tim!

That is a very subjective question. People will spend according to their income level. It is not the cost, it is the passion. If you have the passion, you will find the means. It doesn't hurt to have a lot of your expenses paid through tow money, it builds that passion.
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

That is a very subjective question. People will spend according to their income level. It is not the cost, it is the passion. If you have the passion, you will find the means. It doesn't hurt to have a lot of your expenses paid through tow money, it builds that passion.
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

I would like to thank the NBRA leadership and race promoters for their fantastic efforts in accumulating and dispersing tow money. At some races the two money has been significant and sincerely appreciated. Thanks for making that happen. Jack

Comment

It's not the cost per event that keeps folks from entering the sport, it's the "barriers to entry" that keep people out. Look at what it costs to start the sport and compare that with the costs to start other sports, and you'll see that is what keeps folks from entering the sport. I agree that once you've made the investment boat racing is much less expensive than other forms of motor sports, but there's the big ticket of a boat, motor, safety gear, a trailer and a tow vehicle that result in a significant "up front cost" that would be pretty scary for a person thinking about boat racing. Add to that the limited amount of seat time per event per class and there are very quickly other sports that provide as much bang for the buck.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned the added cost of testing? I don't have a cottage or a body of water close for testing so there is the added cost of travel etc to get ready for racing, before the travel to racing, lol!

Comment

Testing is also a big issue. At the race at Jesup (Winter Nationals) last spring which was the season opener there was no testing. What a bummer! At all the races by the other national organization there were numerous testing hours. That, with the tow money makes life a whole lot more tolerable and sensible. Jack
                    Last edited by Jack Stotts; 12-08-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
                      Testing is also a big issue. At the race at Jesup (Winter Nationals) last spring which was the season opener there was no testing. What a bummer! At all the races by the other national organization there were numerous testing hours. That, with the tow money makes life a whole lot more tolerable and sensible. Jack

Jack, I disagree with you more than ever. You could not be more dead wrong. Geeze, think about what you said......
                      "a whole lot more tolerable and sensible"

The last thing we as boat racers are...... sensible ! LOL If I was sensible I wouldn't calculate what it cost to race anything ! hehehehe
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Willing to spend more than my test time allows. Spending without testing is collecting, hope to get more test time this year.
                        82F
                        Mark O'Brien

Comment

One of the other "under the radar" costs that is rarely considered but very real.........I just figured out that over my racing career I've spent over $27,000 in BEER! (Not including of course various club and APBA meetings through the years).

Comment

OOPS! I forgot to add in the nationals, Better add another $15,000-$16,000. 8-12 days per event.

Comment

Working...
                            X