1/4 Mile Straightaway Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 Mile Straightaway Records

If you haven't gone to a straightaway record race, even to watch, you're missing out! You see some of the neatest boats and drivers our sport has to offer. At Devil's Lake, Or. just a few weeks ago, we saw a K-Boat try to break the kilo record - no small feat. We also saw a turbine-powered jet boat see almost 150mph - both those boats were awesome to see!

I believe we all can agree that the 1/4 Mile records have increased straightaway records participation, but I can also see that once the records are "maxed" out, participation will plummet. Of course there will always be the kilo-die-hards, but those don't pay the bills. For example, on Sunday at Devil's Lake, there was only one kilo attempt - all the rest (14 I believe) were 1/4 Mile. (Note: I was the only kilo attempt on Sunday to keep the record straight)

In order to keep interest up, I propose that if a 1/4 Mile record stands for 8 years (a "generation" of boating), the 95% rule should be applied to it and the record grand-fathered. My thoughts on this is that will keep people's interest in these types of records up.

I try to keep out of the politics of boating, but I think each category has separate rules for the 1/4 Mile, correct? For example the Mod category says you have to beat the fastest competition record in your class by 10% to establish a 1/4 Mile and the Pro category allocates HOC points even when establishing a record. If you think this might be a good idea, how do we apply it to all of the categories?

John.
    http://vitalire.com/

Perhaps banning 'trick' boats is the answer to prevent 'maxing out' speeds. I was on the Commission when the 1/4mile records were created and 'trick' boats were my biggest concern. The 1/4 mile records are intended for competition equipment to be used not some 'specialty' hulls to do nothing but run in a straight line.

But that's just my 2 cents......

Comment

Perhaps the 1/4 mile and or kilo events could count for region or national high points regardless of records set. That way even those without a "Kilo" set-up could run for fun and points, thus encouraging participation.
      For those of us in region 10, with the Kilos coming at the end of the season, imagine a region high-point battle being decided at the Kilos.
      Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
        Perhaps banning 'trick' boats is the answer to prevent 'maxing out' speeds. I was on the Commission when the 1/4mile records were created and 'trick' boats were my biggest concern. The 1/4 mile records are intended for competition equipment to be used not some 'specialty' hulls to do nothing but run in a straight line.
        But that's just my 2 cents......
        I agree with Matt. Prior to about 1966 (or so) the requirements were that the boat you used for the straightaway, you were required to get at least a third place finish
        (overall) in a Closed Course race.

We should bring that rule back.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• mercguy
          mercguy commented
          Editing a comment
          How did they keep track or prove that?

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Dean........i believe the Inboard division requires a hull to race in a minimum of 3 races in the year it attempts a Kilo record and i believe place in the top 3. Trick boats are what kills Kilo events as the speeds get maxed out. We intended for the 1/4 mile runs to be equipment that comes right off the race course of a local race!

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Daren.........good point. I have no idea how the SORC could ever keep track of boats.
      Working...
      X