Original North American Runabout - take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original North American Runabout - take 2

Circle races in Taholah, that"s the Pacific Ocean you see behind him.

What a blast, thanks, Ric!!! Before I saw the second video, I was going to ask if you ran the whole marathon on your knees. Also, what do props look like after running that river, which looks like it gets quite tight and shallow in places?

Comment

Damaged props; Most of the time they seem to survive. They run 12" round ear choppers on the Mercury's, the skeg seems to protect them pretty well. However I didn't fair as well when I ran the river, I usually bent the skeg, sheared several shear pins and once I bent the props so bad I was on the beach straitening the prop with two big rocks, so that I could finish the race. After that I started packing a hammer in the tool kit.

Comment

I remember reading many years ago the Part 1 of this story, and how after you showed your grit, and after they were sure you would be respectful of such a gift, the locals gifted one of their canoes to you. One of the best stories Ive ever read, not to mention the absolute best boat racing story I've ever seen. I remember thinking at the time... "Now THIS is a true boat racer. Respectful. I'm glad to see some things don't change. You my friend are a true boat racer. Sent from my iPad

Comment

I made it two laps, fell out twice. Hardest thing I have ever driven, imagine standing a 2X4 on edge and walking down it, don't forget you will need to turn around at the end. Give it gas, it tips over, let off the gas it tips over. I have nothing but respect for the drivers that race these.

Comment

Working...
          X