bass lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bass lower unit

Is it possible and legal to run a bass gear foot on a stock 44xs? I assume an adapter would be necessary. Any input would be great.

topomichracer140m Possible yes, legal, no.
    It would make an interesting proposal for National meeting, though.

Yes an adapter plate would be required. It also would house the water pump. This needs to be around one inch thick for the 50 hp impeller. The drive shaft has a drive flat already machined on it. You would need a coupling and machined drive shaft too. I can't say for sure where the mounting holes would fall on the 44 tower. With the 2 mounting holes for the Merc and the 4 on the Bass, and the water pump work and channeling it wouldn't be a simple plate. The tower would also need to be machined for coupling clearance. This should give you something to chew on.

Pete
    Don't laugh.....it's borrowed!!

Comment

The old style bass is legal and is a bolt on deal. No machining and no water pump!

Comment

The Bass 100T , the 1st one, with 1:1 gears was APBA legal and a straight bolt on to a 44xs.
        The very 1st ones had Yamato(?) gears and did not hold up. They then sourced their own gears.
        The current version is the 3rd model.
        Brian Hendrick, #66 F
        "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Add: Steve Dunn is correct. I read in the APBA S.O. Rules that the Bass100T unit is indeed legal. No mods to the 44xs tower are permitted.(or needed I assume) Wow! I learn something new every day.
          Last edited by jeff55v; 08-27-2014, 01:46 PM. Reason: Add:

Comment

Working...
          X