Proof Of Judgement - Use or Not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof Of Judgement - Use or Not ?

I was reading about JMK in CSH in that thread. It lead me to believe the system is flawed. A simple it sucks I am sorry we will fix it next time sometimes works, but I believe in being proavtive instead of reactive. Leads to my question, if a driver can produce some evidence that proves beyond a doubt that they did not deserve the DQ (driving infraction) why can't this be used to overturn ? Common sense tells me that it should be accepted. Whether it is in the rules or not. Am I the only one who thinks this ?

Another point was made, and it has been discussed before here, if we had a crew of non racers as turn judges it could very well make most of this nonsense moot. I understand why it isn't done (dollars).
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Regards Dave M's. suggestion having non-racers as turn judges:

This suggestion is well worth considering, assuming that folks could be found and were willing to sit out in the turn boats for the duration of the race, OR enough folks could be found to split the duties. If "partiality" has been suggested to have been a problem in the past from driver crew members, family, etc., the volunteers would have to have no connection to the drivers participating in those heats. Sometimes hard to do at local races from a "connection" standpoint, number of volunteers willing to do the job, knowledge of the racing conditions, who is participating, and most important, knowledge of the rules and how and when to call a penalty.

One example of how this worked very well some years back at the height of the "Factory Wars" between OMC and Mercury, was at the UIM World Championship race for the OZ (unlimited outboard class) held at George Winter Park in St. Louis. Because of several overlap violations/accidents between factory drivers in some races previous to this event, Billy Seebold, who had been responsible for the Winter Park race for a number of years, called me and asked if I and several other PRO drivers would be interested and able to serve as turn judges for the event. There had been charges of favoritism from some judges who had connections to either the drivers or factories, and he wished to take steps to quash that type of situation. Since the PRO drivers who lived in the area and chose to participate usually all attended the race anyway, and this was a way to do so sans any admission charge, about 8 of us if I remember correctly volunteered to do the duty. We all worked the whole race weekend, not just the OZ event, but the companion events leading up to it, and by the time OZ rolled around all the factory drivers had an understanding that we were there to enforce the rule to the letter. This was indicated by a goodly number of disqualifications during the events leading up to OZ, and was a learning event for everyone involved as overlap rules had not been enforced like was done at this race for some time.

Long story short, no OZ drivers were charged with an overlap violation as none occurred during the event, and everyone left with equipment intact and very few boats to repair. There were of course some in the support events that were not happy, but they did learn to be more courteous in later events, according to Billy.

It was also an enjoyable learning and viewing experience for all the PRO drivers that worked the event, and we came away with a renewed appreciation for just how a factory tunnel boat steered by a top flight driver could negotiate a course, from a close up viewpoint. We also were thanked by most of the drivers themselves, as they appreciated knowing that if someone "did them wrong" it was going to be called, no matter the manufacturer or driver involved.

All in all it worked out very well, but whether it would work for a local event, or even a National Championship for a category would depend on the amount of different category drivers available who would or could volunteer, and be free of any hint of favoritism. Perhaps more of a problem in some areas than others that run combined category programs. Perhaps a free ticket to the drivers party and no charge for the cash bar would be an inducement.

Anyway, a very good idea that has worked in the past, IF you can find qualified people. Just like working the judges stand, it can look a lot different from a turn viewpoint or perspective, but it is informing if never done before and can lead to less arguing especially if the person is a driver.

Comment

Several years ago I was a proponent of using pictures and video to help solve these things. But, like I learned at Grass Lake Nationals and again this year, the angle is so important. Pictures or video taken just 20 feet apart can change the entire view.

Case in point…This year I had someone show me a picture that I thought supported their case for a driving infraction. (Chop/Hack) When I was looking through someone else’s pictures, taken from an entirely different angle, there was clearly a boat width between the inside boat & bouy.
      "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

About the only way to get the "perfect" angle is straight down from above... good luck with that one!
        Gene Schertz 26V
        TEAM CAFFEINE
        Cranked up and ready to Roll
        Reeds for Speed!

Comment

They need a R/C drone flying over the first turn
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

1,300....Problem Solved. Real time video feed via I-Phone
            http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/p2v-plus.htm

Comment

FYI, they are playing with drones in Inboard racing up here. helicopters at every unlimited hydro race. It is coming. Just need to wait for the price point. Birds eye view at Hinton, was great. If I recall it was stopped. Why? Too many racing infractions?
              ----
              Graham18ce
              Team Canada ThunderCat
              Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
              Twitter @FralickRacing
              Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

That camera would take care of all the problems.. I am betting some of the folks would quit.. Heading out camping now so have fun with this
                Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Already an option
                  Check out the Marathon Nationals start...http://youtu.be/eW5gb8j0Zaw
                  DAVEY 18w

Comment

Wish I would have thought of that.

Comment

Drones... there was one at MTN Home flying around. Maybe I will look into hiring it at the next nationals.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• Shane_B
                        Shane_B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In Afghanistan we used Aerostat balloons for surveillance.. there are numverous small commercial versions that offer stabilized camera platforms (Kingfisher balloons, other various blimps about 9 ft long). They can be tethered to a buoy or a boat and provide continuous coverage - I don't know how long of flight time you can get with a drone before having to replace batteries. Stabilized systems start just below $10K - which isn't pocket money and you would need helium each race but is an option. Benefits are continuous coverage, stabilized platform, easier to control, and reduced risk of drone crashing on course due to battery failure/winds...
                    Working...
                    X