2014 Stock nationals...a different view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Stock nationals...a different view

Over the years, I have had many friends, both racers and non racers alike, ask me how I can spend a week at nationals (not including travel time) and only race maybe 2- 4 heat the whole week. I don't give them the whole 30 minute spiel, but you know, the stock nationals at a week long are a small sample of how America as a whole functions. Nationals for me are not only the dream of winning D stock hydro, but to be around friends from around the country,,,,get to know them a little better....have a few drinks with them, talk politics for a while.....and even if we do not agree on things, eventually have the conversation morph into talking about skid fins and Tohatsu vrs Merc etc etc etc. These are memories I will cherish forever. What are the things other racers took home from the event? I don't want to hear the bad stuff....( I got thrown out etc....) it would be neat the hear the other stuff. I suppose the highlight of my week was knowing that none of my friends got hurt in very rough water 2nd heat DSH....just a side note. How bout some cool stories from nationals?.

What's better than someone lending you a motor so you can race in your first nationals? Much thanks to Dean Hobart for lending me his new 302SSH - a truly class act (and also to Team Maroney for alllowing me to squeeze in next to them and pitting for me). I hope to repay the kindness to them and later to other new racers.

Comment

• Raymond
      Raymond commented
      Editing a comment
      Shane, I have to agree: we have seen the same...hospatality here in MHRA. In our short SO racing career I can't count the number of times (to include a nationals) where we have been the the recipients of the generous nature of not just true racing enthusiasts but down to earth good people. Without them we would be on the outside looking in or worse yet, engauged in some other Motorsport activity. To those of you that I am speaking of: you know who you are -Thank You!

Dave, I am with you. You are right the whole week was the stuff that memories are made of!

I got to meet some people that I have only known from hydroracer. That was so cool. Saw some of the best boat racing I have ever seen, seeing 12 boats in a line coming down to the start was AWESOME!

I enjoyed watching my friend Dave Anderson continue on his quest for the gold in DSH. It is going to happen for you I know it is!

I tried to meet a few others but they were not out and about when I was looking for them and then it was back to the bat cave to work on results and postings on hydroracer. Was awesome to see so many boats from so many states in one place. (I added quite a few states to my license plate game that we play every summer, even Hawaii on the way home!)

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

good stuff so far...keep it coming!

Comment

For me it was seeing what it really takes to put one of these national races on. I have Never been involved with the planning, sponsorship finding, promoting of a major race. Sure I've done a few local races that break even and we are there to just race, but seeing what the week long event entails and doing it was a real eye opener to me. I could not have done without everyone else in SOA, including my co-race Director Ana. She really took control of the week when I was racing and did an amazing job. I can see SOA looking for the next west coast stock/mod/j nationals bid in 2018!
        Kyle Bahl
        20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

• Mrs blueskyracer
          Mrs blueskyracer commented
          Editing a comment
          Kyle you guys did an amazing job, can't say enough about how things went. Thank you!

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
        These are memories I will cherish forever. What are the things other racers took home from the event? .
        I wasn't at the nationals but yet I was. Because of Live Streaming, this was the closest to a Stock Outboard nationals I have been since 1974. And even with all its quirkiness, the Live Stream made it exciting. >>How many boats can s-q-u-e-e-z-e around that commitment buoy before there simply is no room left???<<

And Kay Myers, who shall be known from this day forward as "The Girl Announcer", proved that knowledge of the sport combined with personal stories from her own racing experience produces an entertaining result. And if you paint your boat a pretty color, she'll talk about you more, no matter where you are in the pack. Thanks to ALL who made the Live Stream possible and thanks to ALL the announcers who kept the Live Stream audience informed.
        Last edited by Mark 72@E; 08-12-2014, 03:38 AM.
        @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
        72@E
        Former Boat Racer
        21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
        20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Well Dave I hate to say it but we had bets as to how DSH heat two could be thrown away.. You did not disappoint.. LOL but really it was a blast.. Very well run and yes Kay was very entertaining with all of her stories and I told her she was great after we finally met.. I met so many new folks and not a sour grape in the bunch.. We had a blast in the evenings with the Shaw family.. They are a great group with Jessica and Butch, Mark and many more.. It will be an event we will never forget but I dont plan to be racing by the next west coast nationals.. I have done a national event now with all three sanctioning groups and have enjoyed each.. The biggest memory is the pictures below where we scrambled to get out for the second 750 mod heat
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

It's somewhat ironic I suppose...people go thru life with different goals...aspirations...you name it. I honestly have things pretty good when I sit down hard and think about it. But jumping the gun heat two of D stock hydro truly was one of the low points of my life.....ya, it's not like I got fired from the CEO of General Motors or anything, but I was and still am just beside myself. I had it and for the "blip of a throttle" threw it away. I have chatted with many many boat racers over the years who have said they could not just get over the hump and win the thing....I hope that is not me. But I want to give a shout out to Kyle, Anna, Ric Sanstrom, Howard, Jan, TJ, Mark Mallory, Ron and Shelly, and others for the fine job they all did....when you can walk up to the barge as a commissioner and have Ric actually joke with you things are going pretty good. Oh ya, a few practical jokes were played on me, and you can bet I will be getting even....we have something like 5 weekends of racing left in region ten. Be afraid, be very afraid..........

Comment

Great idea Dave! We just got home...hope to post soon. Mike

Comment

I was very happy for Mikey.....he won 302SSH! How cool is that......

Comment

bump bump

Comment

Working...
                  X