Builder/crew chief question - deck cracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builder/crew chief question - deck cracks

Our blue hydro survived it's crash Sunday with not much more damage than a few deck cracks. I wanted to see if any of my clever compadres have figured out a GOOD way to fix these. I have tried coating over with epoxy, and I have tried a bit of Bondo type material, but both methods just end up cracking again not too long after the repair. Any better methods been discovered out there?
    Moby Grape Racing
    "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Tony -- I'm by no means an expert, but have you thought about putting on a carbon fiber layer over the damaged area? Can sand down affected area down to sealant coat, scuff well, put down a tack coat of epoxy, and then a 5.9oz carbon fiber weave. Add a bit more epoxy to wet CF and then lay down a release layer (wax paper or vinyl will do) and use a veneer roller to squeeze out excess epoxy and remove any air bubbles (allow epoxy to cure before removing release media or it may pull CF away from deck). You can also vacuum bag it by sealing vinyl to deck around afftected area/CF weave with tacky tape and attach vacuum pump to remove air - would also recommend using a veneer roller to get out any air bubbles. The CF weave will cover cracks and should prevent recracking... 5.9 oz will add very little additional weight. Just a thought.

Shane

Comment

duct tape.......................

Comment

Working...
      X