No announcement yet.

350 Outrigger Hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great undertaking to understand how it works and get close to what is needed. Experimentation is an interesting undertaking, did plenty of it in my time. Pickle tips can be fixed later in final revision. Great job. Got any videos?
    Last edited by ZUL8TR; 08-27-2014, 02:10 PM.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Your correct. The design, construction and testing of new ideas is what appeals to me the most. That is why the Pro category has always been my primary category of interest. Testing during race conditions is the fastest way to develop a new idea.

Boat was inspected, sponson tips were legal and inspection sticker was issued. I'm going to start building revision 2 soon. I'm satisfied with all the bottom and sponson angles, I just want to remove some weight. Attached is a picture of an Aluminum extrusion I may use this time for the sponsom booms. Very light weight and the internal webbing makes it very strong. I will have a video up in a few days.
      Lee Tietze
      Machined Components
      Aluminum, Try Racing Without It!

Comment

That's pretty robust tubing. If you need something that stout it should work. Typical aircraft strut tubing is pretty thin, you can get it from aircraft spruce or Wix aircraft supply. The profiles that are here

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraf...amline-tubing?

were developed by the Navy in the 30's to minimize drag. That will probably be lower drag than the section you've got, but it may be hard to make work since it probably isn't strong enough by itself. Were I doing it I would probably use a NACA 6000 series cross section and make a faring that covers both tubes with a streamlined section that minimizes drag and would provide some lift at low angles of attack. Since you already have two "spars" you could just make them from aluminum and then make two ribs of the right cross section and slip them over the spars. Covered with light sheet aluminum or even aircraft fabric would work fine.

Comment

Hey Lee, get the internal cobwebs out of that part ! LOL. I must say, you have some great skills in boat building, start to finish. I look forward to the next time we chat about this.

My favorite part of the boat build is the design and build as well. And then laughing when everyone that told me it wouldn't work come to the shore and wonder what I did to make a boat go like that. I am pretty tight lipped on design to the general public. Love watching you create things, from hardware to boats !
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Thanks Dave. Attached is a short video.

Lee Tietze
            Machined Components

Comment

That's really cool. It's funny how people love to squash new ideas, or "out of the box thinking" I am on board with cheering on your progress. Sometimes you need to shake things up to keep things interesting.

Comment

Lawrence Lake 1 1/4 Mile coarse. Finally broke 3 digits. I'm going to start building Revision 2 after I run it through the Kilo's next weekend. http://youtu.be/MMDRFZ3-pP0
                Lee Tietze
                Machined Components

Comment

• dcrummett
                  dcrummett commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You be careful, my friend. !!!

Dan

Hi Lee,
                Are you keeping the center section the same and just changing the front and rear sponsons? It looked great in Yelm!

Comment

I'm satisfied with the sponson angles, I just want to eliminate some weight, After building this I discovered some different technics to working with composites. I believe I can build it stronger and lighter.
                  Lee Tietze
                  Machined Components

Comment

Awsome, you will never know unless you try. Sometimes you nail it and sometimes it's firewood. I just built a kneel down 400 with a Euro bottom just to see if it would work, it's fast and gets on plane quicker than my regular CSH. Keep up your experiment.

Comment

Great to see this design if it will run anything like the RC designs I feel this is the path to faster and safer Go to you tube and see what is happening in Blown Fuel hydros yes I realize they dont turn ! Please keep this thread alive

Comment

Working...
                      X