A borrowed prop, a boat racing family, and my first win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A borrowed prop, a boat racing family, and my first win

Let me start by saying this thread is NOT to draw attention to me or my accomplishments but quite the opposite.

I am a new racer and a budget racer so only have one prop currently. It was no match for the course we ran at our last race. A very good boat racing friend advised he had several props that I could test and then race if I liked any of them, even though I would be competing against his boat and driver. I found the one I liked and went with it. I finished in the mix in the first heat and then won the second heat. My first win ever. I came to shore and that same friend greeted me with a huge smile, and even bigger bear-hug and yep, you guessed it, a prompt dunking in the lake. Keep in mind that I just finished ahead of his boat and driver. You see, that didn't matter to him it all. What mattered was his joy in seeing that I had just accomplished a lifelong dream that I had never in a million years believed would come true.

I was then congratulated by several of the drivers I had just competed against as well as some boat racing legends. I got the highly coveted man-hug from Lyle Mason who told me "I am so proud of you man". That's Lyle 'frick'n' Mason saying he is proud of me. Are you kidding me? Jack Stotts, Dan Parker, Art Kampen...and the list goes on. Doc Miller walked the entire length of the pits to congratulate me and it was Braxton Miller that I edged out at the line for the win. Incredible.

Again, this thread is NOT about me but it IS about our boat racing family that is very, very special. If you ever forget that in the midst of rules, regulations, or sanctioning body politics, please email me or send me a PM. I know it is still a racing family. I have the borrowed prop to prove it.

Dennis
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Love it !!!!! congrats on your dunking!

Comment

I was there and thrilled at seeing you win Dennis. Great job!. Hope to see many more. Jack

Comment

Great job Dennis!

You said it just right, the boat racing family is kind, warm and caring about others, that is such a neat deal! Hope to see many more wins in the future!

Melissa

Comment

Great Story Dennis and Congratulations..... Wish I could have been there to see it and give you a High-5!!!!!

Rick Miller
          34-0

Comment

That's a great story Dennis. This is what I love about boatracing.

Comment

It IS a great story, and the only thing that tops that will be the day that you are the guy loaning out the prop to a struggling new racer for his first win. It all goes in circles, and that's the best part!

Congrats!

R-19
              www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

congrats :<), doesnt it feel good to know in this line of racing a lots work and lots of effort and a prop or 2 properly set up works wonders again congrats dennis and i hope many many more wins to you ! ps did you get to buy the prop :<)?
                Randy 23-H
                Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Dennis - Congrads on your win. I was wondering to if you got to buy the prop. I have loaned out many props over the years as well. The best 2 for me was loaning one of my props to Howard Anderson at the Nationals and he beat me good and he asked me how it felt to lose to my prop lol. He went on to set a record with that prop in 1100r not sure if it still stands. For me and Im sure your friend nothing better than that

Comment

Originally posted by 1100-one View Post
                    Dennis - Congrats on your win.I was wondering to if you got to buy the prop. I have loaned out many props over the years as well. The best 2 for me was loaning one of my props to Howard Anderson at the Nationals and he beat me good and he asked me how it felt to lose to my prop lol. He went on to set a record with that prop in 1100r not sure if it still stands. For me and Im sure your friend nothing better than that
                    Well, it was my prop and my dunk and I still have not gotten my prop back because "the shear pin is bent and prop stuck on shaft".....imagine that!!! Ya know what? I love this guy and since we dont get trophies anymore....Dennis, you may keep the prop....congrats, brother...

Comment

Thats very nice to give the prop to Dennis. It just goes to show you how good the boat racing family really is. Joejohn your boat you have pictured is for show right?? Or do you carry a lot of cleaner with you. Very beautiful rig and best of luck this season to you

Comment

Congrats Dennis:

Looks like you have the genes, and I am not talking about the kind you wear.

I know the rest of the family are proud also, and I am sure your Dad would be busting his seams if he were here.

To those who do not know, Dennis has some very strong family boat racing background. His father raced, both his uncles also, and all set many records and won many championships. His Grandfather was Andy Lowery, who built many Championship winning Hydro's and Runabouts in the 60's and 70's for some of the best MOD drivers (then called AM-PRO) in the country.

Andy also built some of the first Tunnel Boats to bear the Seebold name. Altogether one heck of a boat racing pedigree!! I am sure you will continue to do it proud.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. You have demonstrated the point I am making of what a special group of people we are associated with as boat raceres. And yes, I am looking forward to all the opportunities to pay this forward.
                          "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Dennis, congratulations on your first win. What kind of boat were you running? Was it the one in your profile picture? That boat looks like the MJR I built and sold to Mark Daspit

Comment

Originally posted by Wagneracing06 View Post
                              Dennis, congratulations on your first win.m What kind of boat were you running? Was it the one in your profile picture? That boat looks like the MJR I built and sold to Mark Daspit
                              Yep, thats the boat. I fixed a couple of cosmetic things when I got it from Mark but she is solid as a rock and very well built. Job well done.

Comment

• oneY600
                                oneY600 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Congratulations to my nephew Dennis for his first win....the entire family is very proud of him. He took the Lowrey Hydro decal across the the finish line at the front of the field.....which i knew he could......again congratulations Dennis for your first rate effort.

David Lowrey
                                oney600
                            Working...
                            X