Skootney Lake Region 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skootney Lake Region 10

If race sites are an issue region 10 might want to look at Skootney again. I visited there this weekend and it looked like a great place to hold a race
    Attached Files
    Sean Byrne

Not sure why all my photos didn't post
    Sean Byrne

Comment

Not sure why all my photos didn't post.
      Sean Byrne

Comment

Sean where is it located and is it close to any towns.. How was the wind
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

30 minutes north of the tri-cities area. The wind was pretty decent at the time I was there maybe 5 to 7 mile an hour winds, but I'm sure it can vary.
          Sean Byrne

Comment

Mike this is where I go testing. Its about 30 minutes from the Tri-Cities and Moses Lake. The wind in rarely an issue, I will mention the water is way down right now because they lower it in the winter. Now that the spring is here and farming is starting up it will fill up rather quickly. This place is awesome, I can pull in at 8am setup my D-mod or FE and run laps at 8:30am until dark if I wanted. The park now has a campground with hookups and everything. I don't know why we quit running there, but its not a bad place to run (we ran there for roughly 20+ years).

Comment

• blueskyracer
              blueskyracer commented
              Editing a comment
              I think one of the groups should consider this place.. Next time you are in the area takes some shots of the camping area and the pit area

• boatracer69r
              boatracer69r commented
              Editing a comment
              No problem, I can run up there this weekend and take some pics with my phone.

Who do you have to coordinate with to use the park and the water?

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

It's been hard to get folks to travel across the mountains to race. The bass boat wakes have always been an issue. And it's been blown off in the past also, usually only 1 day. FYI, Scooteney.

Comment

Possibly combine the event with SOA & SLORA. I think you could easily find enough participants
                Sean Byrne

Comment

There must be two Scooteney race sites: I may have been to the one Jon mentioned, way back in the 70's. The one I remember was a place that we typically had a blow off at least one day of the weekend. The wind frequently blew there. And the last raced we went to, proved unraceable due to a huge influx of "locals" on Jetskis who played the "no habla ingles" card when we told them to get off the water while were racing. And the caretaker running the park refused to close down the public boat launch like other caretakers had done in the past, saying, "it's their park too."

Between the wind and the "locals" issue, it was too far to go to get maybe one day of racing in.

R-19
                  www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

pat, just trying to help with possible race sites in the future. If jon and I were to do some legwork and find out if the lake can be closed off for a weekend, do you think SOA would consider it as a raise site?
                    Sean Byrne

Comment

Here are two links to Scootney Park. The first is the avg weather and the second is a map. In June and July the wind isn't bad. When you get in August and September months it gets a little more windy. If y'all want I can talk to the park ranger. Last time I tested there he actually pulled a fisherman off the lake for trying to interfere with me...just saying.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ph/WARESCRE:13

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.7038.../data=!3m1!1e3

Comment

Looks like a nice park with lots of beach and nice camping areas.. For motel folks how far away are places to stay.. Also it seem like most places now have issues with wind and pleasure boaters and jet skies.. I am sure the wind has to do with global warming like all the snow we got this year
                        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Othello is 10-15 minutes away and has a few hotels, Connell has one hotel that is 10 minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by seanp3 View Post
                            pat, just trying to help with possible race sites in the future. If jon and I were to do some legwork and find out if the lake can be closed off for a weekend, do you think SOA would consider it as a raise site?

Sean, I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer here....and if you and Jon can start by convincing the park ranger that we MUST have the launch closed off during our days of running, that would certainly be a start. I'm just saying that water control and weather have been the issues with racing there before. But I'm just one member of SOA....I'm not even a Board Member, so it's certainly not my call. If you guys want to make a run at it, I'd say talk to the SOA Board and go from there.

Good luck,

R-19
                            www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

• mercguy
                              mercguy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              we (SOA Board) have discussed this and echoes what Pat has stated..........since the place could not be completely closed down for us during the race time, it has been decided to not pursue it at this time. Keep in mind, we only have available dates open for July and getting water during the middle of the summer for us to race on, is VERY difficult..............but, I am always open to any ideas.............feel free to email or call with anything you might have......thanks

Daren Goehring
                              Commodore, Seattle Outboard Association
                          Working...
                          X