politics?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• politics?????

as I hear and read about "politics" and why people do not attend various races, I am confused???? What are some of the reasons that prevent individuals from attending races in their region or elsewhere? I just do not understand why this would happen. If you enjoy racing, then why would you NOT attend a race? Just too much BS for me to figure out............
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Darren,
    I think it has more to do with money than anything else. Most people are done with politics.
    (Not all, you still have a bigot every now and then).
    But my family has this problem: we usually join APBA. Our hearts are in AOF because we like to give to charities, and help clubs put races on for a cheaper price. Then we want to go to an NBRA race which means at least another $75 a racer. That adds up to way too much money just for membership fees.
    You cannot blame an organization for not honoring cards at every race. Membership is what keeps an organization alive. Too bad there isn't a way.
    Art,
    Don't take this as gospel, but I heard that there is a chance that AOF and NBRA cards will be honored at Pineville. I am not sure if NBRA will have to do what AOF did this year and join as a club so that your members can do a one day membership that would come out of entry fees so that no one pays more than the $35 per class entry. (If that is the amount of entry fhat is to be charged).
    I also believe that the SORC is voting on the date. I am sure that Ed will get back with us as soon as he has a vote confirming which week end we will be racing.
    Next question? Will there be any pro classes running as was done in Ocoee?
    Connie

Comment

Hey Daren don’t take this personal but depending on what part of the country racers live in economics play a huge role in picking which races a person might go to. As we all know the cost of living is sky high these days and depending on a persons income it may only be possible to budget three or four races a year no matter if they are in your backyard or 3000 miles away.

Here in the east heating cost are projected to rise more then 50% this winter due to the high cost of oil. Many of you saw my post stating that I was going to switch over to karts in 2006, well that’s true but I still only see three maybe four races that I will be able to attend in 2006 due to lack of budget.

All this to say I honestly feel that it’s a matter of numbers these days and not local or long distance. If the funds are not there you might not be able to race in a regatta 15 minutes from your house.

* Disposable income is the key word here to sum up not politics.
      HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

understandable but........

Originally posted by Admin
        Hey Daren don’t take this personal but depending on what part of the country racers live in economics play a huge role in picking which races a person might go to. As we all know the cost of living is sky high these days and depending on a persons income it may only be possible to budget three or four races a year no matter if they are in your backyard or 3000 miles away.

Here in the east heating cost are projected to rise more then 50% this winter due to the high cost of oil. Many of you saw my post stating that I was going to switch over to karts in 2006, well that’s true but I still only see three maybe four races that I will be able to attend in 2006 due to lack of budget.

All this to say I honestly feel that it’s a matter of numbers these days and not local or long distance. If the funds are not there you might not be able to race in a regatta 15 minutes from your house.

* Disposable income is the key word here to sum up not politics.
        those are not the reasons I am asking about. I understand EXACYLT what you are saying Dan, but seems those factors are NOT ones that I keep hearing about (such as the poor turnout from AOF members for the AOF Nat's), why some racers will not attend races. Hell, we all have to factor the $$$$ situation, including ME!
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

So what are some of things your are hearing ? I have not attended many races in the last few years but it would seem to me that the fued thing has pretty much gone away. Guess I just dont understand since I am not around the races much anymore. Oh well life goes on
          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

uh Dan.......

Originally posted by Admin
            So what are some of things your are hearing ? I have not attended many races in the last few years but it would seem to me that the fued thing has pretty much gone away. Guess I just dont understand since I am not around the races much anymore. Oh well life goes on

you need to view this website more often and BETTER YET, get your butt to a boat race!!!!!! Or is your butt more COMFORTABLE SITTING on the seat of that go cart??
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

http://terryives.com/2002infineon-b.mpg
              HTML Code:

Comment

Other than $$$?

Let's see - these are some reasons I've heard for missing a race:

The kid has an afterschool activity, so he/she has to work this weekend;
                The kid has a sporting event this weekend;
                The kid got hurt at a sporting event during the week;
                The kid has homework;
                The (boat, motor, trailer, truck) isn't done yet;
                I have to work this weekend;
                I have to fly out of town first thing Monday morning;
                I have choir practice;
                I don't want to drive that far to watch the wind blow;
                I don't like those long courses - they are (dangerous, hard on equipment);
                I don't like those short courses - they are (dangerous, hard on equipment);
                I'm still sore from dumping last weekend;
                I have an unlimited race that weekend;
                I just got back from/am going to (Nationals, Divisionals, out of region race);
                I only go to races I can camp at (OK, might be a $$$ thing);
                I'm taking a non boat racing vacation that weekend;
                I have open pipes - they aren't allowed on the sanction;
                I forgot we had a race;
                I have another commitment (family, charity, church);
                I had an emergency come up.

Now, some of these might be construed as lame, or folks having priority issues - whatev-er. They are all legitimate (OK, except for "I forgot"), and I think non-political. Some are last-minute, some are planned. I don't think that because folks don't make a race that we should jump to a conclusion because of the club they are affliated with.

I think the bigger, political issue is whether Nationals should bounce from coast to coast or site to site. I happen to like the concept PRO uses with DePue, but that's just my opinion. No matter where you put it, somebody will ***** about the drive.
                Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
                sigpic
                Portland, Oregon
                Johnson Racing

Comment

If you leave the $$$ aside, I agree with Daren there are still a lot of politics within the regions and organizations of boat racing.

Just like Daren, I attend many region races a year and drive across the United States to the Nationals. Is it because we are rich and like to spend 3 dollars a gallon on fuel? No, it is because we love to boat race and spend time with our racing families.

However, I myself hear a lot of excuses as to why someone won't drive 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, or so to race. It's not like we can run our boats any day, time, place we desire. I am with Daren, I don't understand some of the excuses people come up with. I completely understand the financial aspect, and that is not what I am getting at. I hear a lot of I don't run with that club, or that organization. This causes low turn out at races which we all know is no fun.

Do we have too many national organizations? Are there to many classes? What needs to be done to fix this? Lets hear your opinion.

If we all are real boat racers and just want to race, then why not show up and race?

If all your going to do is flame me for posting this, don't bother as this is just my 2 cents.

However, if you have a good idea, or suggestion, lets hear it.
                  Sattler Racing R-15
                  350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                  TEAM VRP
                  The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

I'm just getting back into boat racing. I belong to the S.T.A.R. club in southeast,tx and have not joined N.B.R.A., A.O.F., or A.P.B.A. yet. I am waiting until the memberships will be good for next season. I think it would be a good idea that as long as you belong to one of the organizations you may race at any race sanctioned by any of them by just paying the entry fees. I have been out of boat racing a long time and don't know all of the facts to why things are the way they are. One thing that i do know is that i'm fired up to race so it doesn't matter to me what the politics are just tell me where to sign-up and lets get out on the water and race. Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks, Karl.

Comment

Reply to cameraboy.......
                      I have another one.........................

this is a quote............................................

"It isn't a record race"

Now, this one, is political. All of us have our excuses, one way or another. If it was about money, I would have quit years ago. I don't have any (money that is, lots of excuses though), but somehow I get to and from. All though, next year might put a cramp in my own personal racing, oh yeah....there is another excuse.

MY KIDS STARTED RACING.....probably won't be seeing my butt on the water next year (I am praying for a financial miracle!).

Ruthie

Comment

Daren:

you and I have discussed this before, so you know some of the reasons. However, it does seem that the politics in this area are getting better.

Let's take Bakersfield for an example. There are a lot of drivers in R-11 that quit going there after being charges $70 entry fees, and getting 1 heat. And being treated like SH*& at the same time.

Granted that was a while ago, and the people in charge have changed.

The other reason people do not go to races in other regions is due to scheduling. When we have races every other weekend, then Bakersfield is on an off weekend, the $$ start to add up.

Let's see:
                        Motorhome gas $200
                        Food ( and beer) $200
                        Entry fees $200

that's $600, and hopefully no equipment breaks, but those costs need to be added as well.

We ran 9 weekend of racing this year, plus 1 trip to Omaha and 1 to Depue. that's $5400 spent locally before counting in ANY out of region costs. At some point, the majority of racers need to pick and choose where they are going to race and what races they will miss.

I would bet most drivers would prefer to attend EVERY race, but that's not possible.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by pro350hydro
                          Do we have too many national organizations? Are there to many classes? What needs to be done to fix this? Lets hear your opinion.
                          Good point. But that makes us think..Why are there so many national organizations in the first place? Maybe people start their own because they're unhappy with the way the one they're in is being run. People have different opinions about how boatracing should be...

allie runne
                          The Runne's: Born with plastic sporks in their mouths.

Comment

guys....and gal

this sport is not what it once was, not nearly as enjoyable!!!! the family we all talk about , even that has changed in the way we interact at races, i see families yelling and screaming at each other, often, economics have changed greatly. i for one ran out of gumption to keep dumping $$$ into racing that i've been part of for 26 years, and having no savings account , having no investments for my future, it doesn't make sense anymore to me, the "hobby" we all are part of has become finacially burdening, at least for me, that i had to quit. just my 2 cents all of the above are indeed excuses, that daren is talking about, but ones that i feel to be a bigger priority than boat racing and all that it entails kevin

Comment

thanks for the input!!

Thanks to Kevin, Sheryl, Joe, Mike, etc for providing your input to the topic. There were some very good statements made and should be acted upon, if possible. One thing we all have in common, is that we are all boat racers and enjoy boat racing, so think about that, before you decided to NOT attend a race for an "unethical" reason PLEASE.

Joe, yes, we have discussed this many times and I have and am trying to make our 2 regions get along and work together and basically......HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!!! I think we have made some good progress and still more can be done, etc. True, I have issues with a couple members in your region and them with me probably also, but I still make the effort to attend as many races up there, as I can, putting that aside. Why, cause I enjoy boat racing and MOST of the people involved up there. Too bad you "chickened out" and sold your CSH/OSY rig!!

let's try and make the 2006 racing season a great one and improve on the previous year and years!!!!
                              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X