History at Jesup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History at Jesup

After the Jesup, GA race we now know for sure that we are ready for an AOF run APBA winter nationals in Alexandria, LA.

The first ever OFFICIAL AOF/APBA race in Jesup, GA was (in my opinion) a huge success. Because of hurricanes and accidents we did not have the expected turnout (114 entires) that we expected and we missed all who could not show. Dennis Burke was without power due to Ophelia; Louisianna drivers battled I 10 being shut down; we super missed the Ellison crew and Chris Hellsten who had an accident on the way to the race, (all are ok, thankfully-and we spent an interesting week end babysitting Curt to the best of our abilities!). I do believe that there might have been a prejudiced racer or two who stayed home because of politics. Their loss.
    AOF champions were crowned.
    It was a lesson in getting along and doing what is best for boat racing. A lot of pots were melted and hatchets burried at this race. A good look was had at the AOF technical and class combos. I had mentioned that AOF was ready to toss our tech section and use APBA's. After closer look at the AOF rulebook, many said that maybe it should be the other way around. The AOF step up chart was also looked at closely and it is apparant that if you bring it you can run it at an AOF race, which brought favorable output from many longtime APBA racers.
    It was also apparant that there are few differences between the two organizations. I am still convined that the biggest difference is cost of putting on a race. $320 for sanction and insurance for a two day AOF program). There is a place for both APBA and AOF in boat racing and the differences need to be utilized in keeping some clubs and sites alive. We proved that we can still come together and stage a successful cooperative race.
    Any race basically boils down to the local club putting on the race. Each club goes through different stages. Peace River did a good job with lots of hard workers who went above and beyond.
    Thank you all for the history and the fun.
    Check out the AOF champions at the American Outboard Federation forum on this website.
    Connie Payn
    AOF Executive Director
Working...
X