We don't need no stinkin' helmet!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't need no stinkin' helmet!!!

Help! It's hot in Oklahoma and I sweat like a pig. The inside of my helmet is getting "odiferous" to say the least...so much I don't like being in there any longer than I can help it.

It's a Fulmer and I don't find anyway to take the lining out to clean it or otherwise get rid of the lice and vermin that may have taken up in there...maybe even a dead eel or two.

Any suggestions on "de-stinking" this thing??

Dan
    O-49

Fabreeze

Available at Walmart

Comment

roflbo at first i thought you ment you didnt think we should need them to race

Comment

KWS... this proves again, a good headline will attract readers!

No...I kinda like my head and face...so stink or no stink I'll wear a brain bucket (with or without rules requiring it!)

Dan
        O-49

Comment

consider the security factor . . .

who's gonna steal a helmet that requires donning a gas mask to approach?
          carpetbagger

Comment

And the strategic factor

Yeah, and the guys behind me have to pass or move over to get out of the stench!

I got flipped once and the carp came to the surface gasping for air!!!

Dan
            O-49

Comment

I smell your anguish . . .

I teach motorcycle riding classes. We have bikes and loaner helmets for our students. This summer we ran two riding sessions per day, 24 students per class, six days a week. I'm failry sure that more'n half of the 15+ classes I taught were held with the temp index over 100 degrees, best ever 112. 24 students - sweating in the helmets, nervous sweating in the helmets, which are then stored in an overheated closed cargo container. Lemme tell you, those helmets are RIPE!
              carpetbagger

Comment

I wore a fairly new pair of tennis shoes at Depue and Dayton without socks this year. And boy were they rank. The wife said for me to place drayer fabric sheets to the inside for a few days. It worked!!!
                For your Helmet she suggests a couple drops of vanilla extract on several cotton balls. Put the cotton balls inside the helmet and wrap the helmet in a plastic bag for a few days then store the helmet with the fabric sheets inside. She is Pennsylvania Dutch from Allentown and knows all about these things.
                bill b

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes
                  I wore a fairly new pair of tennis shoes at Depue and Dayton without socks this year. And boy were they rank. The wife said for me to place drayer fabric sheets to the inside for a few days. It worked!!!
                  For your Helmet she suggests a couple drops of vanilla extract on several cotton balls. Put the cotton balls inside the helmet and wrap the helmet in a plastic bag for a few days then store the helmet with the fabric sheets inside. She is Pennsylvania Dutch from Allentown and knows all about these things.
                  so......that's what the smell was in the room in Dayton!!!! Just kiddin' Bill............I will take Kaye's advice, as my helmet does not smell the greatest inside also!
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Just thought of something. Try Garlic Cloves. At least you will not have any Vampires. Another Pennsylvania Dutch thing.
                    bill b

Comment

Vampires are a problem from time to time...I'll remember this.

Dan
                      O-49

Comment

try farbrise it does pretty good. it sure dont hurt.

Comment

Try sprinkling the inside of the helmet with baking soda. It absorbs odors very well. You can keep some in the trailer and put a little in after each race. Make sure to keep your helmet bag open and let the liner dry completely after each race. You might be able to clean it initially with some no rinse shampoo and set it in the sun to dry.
                          Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                          Tomtall 06

Comment

Home Ec 101

Originally posted by Kristi Ellison
                            Try sprinkling the inside of the helmet with baking soda. It absorbs odors very well. You can keep some in the trailer and put a little in after each race. Make sure to keep your helmet bag open and let the liner dry completely after each race. You might be able to clean it initially with some no rinse shampoo and set it in the sun to dry.
                            Kristi
                            Good to know that the president paid attention in class! Now, if we can get her to learn as much about removing gunk from a carb as stench from a helmet!!
                            David Weaver

Comment

Thanks all of you! This has been an education in itself.

I'll wager some or all of these suggestions will make a difference.

And...for Kristi's carbureator problems: Sea Foam, Mercury PowerTune, or lacquer thinner... and if all else fails, a gallon of carb dip from NAPA or O'Reilleys will eat anything.

Dan
                              O-49

Comment

Working...
                              X