Still a very long way out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still a very long way out

The forecast track is still a long way out, but Katrina could impact the central PA. area the middle of next week

you can follow it here http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/ or http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_E71; 08-26-2005, 04:36 PM.
    I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
    The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Relax

Quit watching the weather channel. You are not even 40 yet! Are you?
    David Weaver

Comment

Two thangs . . .

I check the weather when I walk outside with a cuppa coffee in hand to observe the sunrise. All other reports remain invalid until proved otherwise.

During the many years I raced at Loch Havern, it ALWAYS rained at least one of the three days. I recall taking all our camping gear to the laudramat every single evening and running the sleeping bags thru the humongous dryer so we could at least fall asleep dry.
      carpetbagger

Comment

To the Part-time Pilot of E-71:

I didn't realize that watching the weather channel and racing pro hydros had the same thrill........you must be really, really old...... I thought spring Camden was this year not this milinium......shoot, I even remember you were piloting the boat cause I was holding the pull cord......
        Jeff
        5-P

Comment

it doesn't, I am, it was and I kinda do too.....

BTW, while it wasn't a picnic, the needles in my spine weren't as bad as it could have been

now, back to the weather channel

David W., you need to ask, rather, tell Ellen where her priorities are

now, hiding
          I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
          The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

the farther north these storms go, the faster they go

I'm looking forward to later in the week
            Last edited by sam; 10-24-2009, 02:57 PM.

Comment

To the Part Time Pilot of E-71

And I thought Voodoo Magic and the Occult were banned in Maryland. So now you tell me you have needles in your spine. I suppose next you'll have a boiling caldron in the back yard under a full moon with frogs legs, "eye of newt", chicken necks and string.....oh wait a minute, the last two are for crabbing.....anyhow, I do hope you are finally on the mend. Would be nice to see you out of the lawn chair and crawling into your craft.....resuming your pilot duties........no wait, if that happens I will never get a pro ride, cause you know Mary won't buy me one!
              Jeff
              5-P

Comment

I put new images in post 6 .... but have been thinking

The river might be a little high .... remember last fall?

Last September after the races That was historicly the 4th highest flood at Lock Haven ... 28 feet (it is normally 7 feet) With monster rain on Wed & Thurs, Lock Port, the park where the pits are and the road might still be under water until Sat or Sun

This might be the best link for river levels- Western Branch Basin NOAA

http://ahps.erh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?ctp&lhvp1 NOAA graph from the flood gage across from the pits (not a web cam, just a pic to show you where the level is checked)

http://www.thewgalchannel.com/weathe...60/detail.html WGAL TV 8 weather flood report

The remnants of Ivan only dropped 5 inches of rain on the area that feeds the river, but the ground was still soaked by the remnants of Francis dropping 2 or 3 inches a few days earlier.
                Last edited by sam; 08-28-2005, 03:34 PM.

Comment

If I am reading the prediction charts correctly for Lock Haven - right now there is a 20% chance that the river will be 10 feet higher than normal on Thursday. Anyone know from past experience how quickly it could calm down if it peaks early Thursday?

Would we have to have a boat on trash patrol upstream of the bridge?

Comment

Good question Sam. I'd hate to drive over and not be able to race. Will there be an update on the conditions of the site later this week?
                    Joe Silvestri
                    CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                    JH/JR

Comment

The links in post 8 show current conditions up there. I'll be watching very closely Thursday night and Friday morning before I leave, but I'm betting that the way things look now, we will get all 3 days in and at worst Sunday & Monday. Maybe the race comittee could run 3 in 2 if we loose Saturday.

Make the 2 race day Monday so more people stay

Each heat could be a full points race and still use up the same number of hours on the water

Comment

20%

20% is 0% to me. We'll be there!!!
                        !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Not in her path

Please notice that Oshkosh, Wisconsin is NOT in the storm's path. Eddie.
                          14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Oshkosh?

Didn't see 250 hydro on the Oshkosh race circular so we're off to Lock Haven in the A.M. I would like to make Fred H.'s party though.
                            Bruce Summers
                            V-71

Comment

IT APPEARS AT THIS TIME THAT MOST AREAS OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA
                              WILL RECEIVE BETWEEN 1 AND 2 INCHES OF RAIN FROM LATE THIS
                              AFTERNOON THROUGH MIDDAY WEDNESDAY. REPEATED HEAVY SHOWERS AND
                              THUNDERSTORMS IN THE ANTICIPATED NORTH...SOUTH ORIENTED TROPICAL
                              RAIN BANDS COULD LOCALLY DUMP UP TO 3 OR 4 INCHES...ESPECIALLY
                              ACROSS THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS AND NORTHWEST MOUNTAINS WHERE THE RAIN
                              WILL BE STEADIER AND MORE WIDESPREAD. DESPITE RECENT DRYNESS...3
                              INCHES OF RAIN FALLING OVER LESS THAN 6 HOURS WOULD BE SUFFICIENT
                              TO BRING AREA STREAMS AND CREEKS TO NEAR BANKFULL.

THE THREAT FOR RIVER FLOODING IS VERY LOW...AND LEVELS AT MOST
                              LOCATIONS ALONG THE SUSQUEHANNA ARE EXPECTED TO REACH BETWEEN ONE
                              QUARTER AND ONE HALF BANKFULL BY THURSDAY MORNING.
                              OK, that's the official forecast regarding river conditions & mid week rain

Sounds like we are racing!

PS: bring sunscreen & warm sleeping bags/long pants & sweat shirts, mid and low 50's over night each night - very bright during the day
                              Last edited by sam; 08-30-2005, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X