Rescue boat gear . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescue boat gear . . .

This year I took a CPR/defib course as part of my adjunct faculty position at the local community college. I teach folks how to ride motorcycles, so first aid and CPR could come in handy seeing as several of our out in the open parking lot classes are held when the heat index is over 110. And several of our students ain't exactly in their prime.

Our first aid kit has a really cool device. It is a respirator designed to be used with the full-face helmet still on the rider's head. Removing the helmet after a crash is not recomended until a true medical person determines there is no damage to the neck. That is true for boat race crashes also, but ... in addition to the rare cardiovascular event, our drivers often inhale tons of water and require aspiration and respiration.

Question is: Should we check the gear of the ambualnce and ride on rescue boat EMT personal for a reaspirator that can be used without cutting or removing a full-face helmet? Should we provide such a device if the local EMTs aren't so equipped? They are toss aways and cheap.
    carpetbagger

Bill,
    I am interested in this. What would a person ask an EMT specifically to find out if theyare on board?
    How expensive and what are they called?
    AOF might consider buying some for our clubs.
    thanks,
    Connie

Comment

Bill, who is the vendor on this device, and what is its official name? Thanks.
      Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
      sigpic
      Portland, Oregon
      Johnson Racing

Comment

sorry for the delay (cont)

Being an old fart, I can't recall the exact name/vendor of the device. I know that Cintas keeps our motorcycle range first aid box supplied. Remind myself to cruise the FA box next time I'm at the range and take notes. And remind myself to call the Northern Virginia Community College first responder trainer woman and get details. She said you can buy the at a pharmacy, but all our pharmacies in Northern VA are chain stores staffed by fresh of the boat/bus folks who respond to my queries with a vacious stare.
        carpetbagger

Comment

I know a pharmacist that doesn't speak forgein languages, I'll ask her.

Comment

Working...
          X