who [whom], what and where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who [whom], what and where?

I noticed an add for a hydro that got the juice's flowing and then it was gone.
    It had a wing in between the sponsons. Something like an inboard hydro. I'm woundering who made it and if
    they are still building. How it worked and if there are any plans. I would like to get one for my D Canadian classic. Has anyone drove one and their impressions.
    Your indebted servent
    Charlie
    Does anyone have any photos and detail shots of this boat?
    Last edited by Charlie13; 08-03-2005, 03:42 PM. Reason: Photos

Steve Roskowski

Steve produced a couple of hulls that have a "wing" between the sponsons and forward of the deck. He races one with a 4 cyl. merc. on it and is usually competetive. He is often on this board as Modhydro and may be able to chime in.
    Joe Schweickert

Comment

Bill Blackwell also built one in the late 80s that Roy Bradfield has been running in D-Mod this season. Looks a lot like the 1982 Atlas Van Lines unlimited.
      Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
      sigpic
      Portland, Oregon
      Johnson Racing

Comment

Thanks for the info Joe.
        Charlie

Comment

Hi Bill any photos
          Thanks Charlie

Comment

"Just For Looks"

Name of the 20ssH hydro I built in the `80s that had a wing between the sponsons. Boat looked right sexy, but it was a perfumed pig. One problem was it was the first larger than A boat I built and I kind of overdid the structural strength and it was heavy. But she sure looked sweet! Best racing that boat did was at shows to drag in race sponsors and new racers.
            carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie13
              Hi Mike any photos
              Thanks Charlie
              http://community.webshots.com/photo/...57543770ShWZNC
              Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
              sigpic
              Portland, Oregon
              Johnson Racing

Comment

I beleive Brian Hendrick picked up a set of plans for one of those off of ebay last year. I beleive it was for the same hull (or reasonably close)

Comment

Winged hydros

I've built two and helped another guy build #3. The first was a 25Mod boat that ran very well and was high point champ in 96 or so. The one I run now is in C mod with a Merc. It runs as well as can be expected with the Merc against the Yamatos. I like the way it handles and have no complaints. I've run the D on it on some short courses, but it is just too flighty abouve 80 and sent me for a forced swim. Here are a couple of photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thats the one

Originally posted by modhydro
                    I've built two and helped another guy build #3. The first was a 25Mod boat that ran very well and was high point champ in 96 or so. The one I run now is in C mod with a Merc. It runs as well as can be expected with the Merc against the Yamatos. I like the way it handles and have no complaints. I've run the D on it on some short courses, but it is just too flighty abouve 80 and sent me for a forced swim. Here are a couple of photos.
                    Super looking boat, how do I go about getting plans?
                    I can enlarge it for D and would use carbon fiber and foam for the hull.
                    Thanks for the super photos.
                    Charlie

Comment

Charlie,

I don't have plans available, but if you send me an e-mail, I'll see what I can do to steer you in the right direction and offer any help that I can. The plans I build from are pretty simple, but leaves a lot of the info up in the old noodle. Maybe we could figure something out. Where are you from? The second C boat was just sold as a package and the hull may be available.

steve@arcindy.com

Comment

who(whom), what and where

Skeet Phillips (Oregon) set the DSH & DMH Kilo records woth a wing boat the year before the Atlas design came out. I also remember a DSH, a CSH and I believe a 25 competition boat that he built shortly after. Skeet, I know you keep an eye on the site because of the E:Mail I got last time I mentioned your name, maybe you can post a picture or two.
                        Steve
                        106-R / TEAM JDS

sigpic

Comment

"canards"???

Charlie;-I was surprised to see my name come up in regards to this, but I was at Constantine a few weeks back and saw Steve testing this Cmod boat. It was impressive handling wise, rode very flat, but seemed to lack lift with the Cmod motor. Am surprised he says the Dmod creates too much. He seems to be controlling the canard with a 2nd lever, similar to the pipe pullers the PROs use. Not sure what the rules say about this, but am sure there is no reference to 'canards' in our D-Canadian rules.
                          Bob A. rattled my memory, and I pulled out those plans he referred to.
                          They are from Albert Snell in TX, and are for a 11' boat with a 38" tunnel. It does not have forward 'canards', but does have lifting airfoils near the transom, and an optional 'foil' above the cockpit coamings ahead of the motor. The drawings are not dated, and I have not heard of this boat being built. A call to TX would produce some info.I will bring them to Desoronto.
                          Actually u may be also interested in sketches I have of a canard fitted to
                          runabouts, that with levers would automatically push down on the bow as it lifted from the water. I got this idea two years ago after watching a guy blow a CSR over. I
                          Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                          "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Charlie... assume you want this for a stock class... my understanding is all fins and wings on a stock hull must be in a fixed position while underway. To my knowledge this has not changed. Doesnt' stop you from building an adjustable one for wind conditions of the day.
                            Fralick Racing
                            Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

C mod lift at Constantine

Brian,
                              While most of the antique guys were impressed with the boat at Constantine I was certainly not. I was trying out an alternate gearcase and was actually down about 7mph from the Merc foot. I just didn't have appropriate props with me to mess with dialling it in. Once it gets into the 75-76mph range and above it flies nicely. I only got one run over 72 at the meet.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X