Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D Classic in Canada - lower unit options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D Classic in Canada - lower unit options?

Are there lower unit options for the D-Classic in Canada or must you use the 55H foot?

I'm in the process of building a D-classic motor. I have a 55H tower, 1961 Merc 500 powerhead and will eventually need to find a lower unit.

Dave

D-Classic

I stand to be corrected, but reading the rules, only the 1:1 55H [and probaly the earlier KG9 l/u] are allowed. The class is basically the pre-44xs DSH, but allowing the pre-'65 44" block, [ie; a M58H] This came about, as it has now in APBA, to keep cost down, as 40" [&20"] stuff was getting scarce.
    As you are finding out building one of these motors, the most expensive single piece is the lower unit. This is probably true of most stock&mod classes
    Save for adapting a used Konig [and adapting it $$] I do not see what other viable options you have. And, most of these options, would have the guys running DCH crying foul
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Brian we can also use a 44 XS gear foot with 1:1 gears . Mike D Classic 21CE
      Mike Ounjian

Comment

Mike

I have your package from Oxford Mi. Brian

Comment

Yeh this stuff sure is rare....you mentioned before this would be the hardest part to find and you are right. Thanks for the input.

I'm glad to hear the 44XS foot with 1:1 gears is legal. I think my best bet would be to save up and get one from Dave Scott.

Dave

Comment

l/u

Used lower units are always a big gamble in racing, cause if u lose a gear tooth, u could lose the case, shaft and prop. Best to at least start with new gear , assembled by some one who knows. Most economical option would be a 55H case and bits, with new gears. DS was getting some made, but not sure of current status. Good D boots are not really rare, just most racers and collectors hang onto them. But if u are sitting there with a good boat, and complete motor less boot, bite the bullet, borrow the money, buy one, and come racing! We are racing in Desoronto,ON, an hour from your door, last week of August!
            Last edited by bh/; 07-27-2005, 10:29 AM. Reason: sp
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F
            "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

"d" gears

I received the second set of samples and they are right on the money for hardness etc...certified... I am going to be testing a set this weekend and if all goes well. I will giving the approval for the 50. It is going to take 4 weeks for the 50 sets. So I will be looking for $$$ in those four weeks for the 35 guys who wanted gear sets. I will e-mail each of you and let you know. The original price of 265USD plus shipping still stands until I talk to the manufacturer next week.

I did have a computer crash two week or so ago and lost a lot of my e-mail information So If I do not e-mail you get hold of me and make arrangements for your gears.
              Last edited by crankbearing; 07-28-2005, 05:26 AM.
              Dave Scott
              Aim Marine Inc.
              613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
              Ottawa, Canada
              http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
              DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

I wish I could make that race but I still have a lot of stuff to get aside from the lower unit...unless you're allowed to race with a hockey helmet and shoulder pads. I'm hoping for next summer.

Hey Dave....If those are the 1:1 gears you are placing an order for, I'm interested. My email is dgamgar@ica.net.

Comment

Don't ever let not having a helmet and cut suit stop you from going racing. There is always several people who'll lend you their gear for your heats. I went the 44XS gear foot route buying a casing from the states, the Palmquists to be exact and had a racing buddy put the new shafts and gears in. Took a while to get all the parts together.
                  There will be a sale of D Merc stuff coming up from a fine collection that belonged to a racer who recently passed away. Details will be posted in Torc Talk newsletter, on the Torc web site www.TORCracing.com and most probably here. That's all I know right now.
                  Good Luck and come to Deseronto anyway - you might find what your looking for.
                  Jim Misener 53ce
                  D Classic Hydro

Comment

I just bought gears from Dave Scott and I'm going with the 44xs gear foot too. I'm looking forward to get the motor complete but it's not looking good for the end of the month. My wife had a baby boy just 3 months ago so I'm lucky I still got a boat in garage. I'll try to make it out to watch...I understand Deseronto is not too far from me.

Sorry to hear about the passing of Ron. I purchase my boat from him...great guy. I was in heavan when he showed me his collection of old racing mercs at his place.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X