Good-Bye My Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good-Bye My Friend

It is with a very heavy heart and much sadness that I am creating this post. In Barrie Hospital at 3PM this Saturday July 9, 2005 Ron Collins lost his battle with Cancer, Ron fought this for the last few months. By his side was his Wife Dorothy and daughter Gerri and son-in law Chuck. Charlie, Michelle and I were able to spend the last few days with Ron and Dorothy and he knew we were there with him.

To most, Ron was all business whether it was buying and selling, racing or managing United Propellor and Machine his business that he built from the ground up, but once you got to know him as a friend you soon began to realize that Ron was much much more.

If you ever had the chance to attend a boat race in eastern Ontario with Ron and Dorothy present you would soon see the devoted and loving Husband that Ron was, as well as the loving father and grandfather, not too mention the friends that Ron helped out along the way - and there were many! Me for one...

Boat Racing was a passion with Ron as it is for most of us. He did it as a boy with a Mad Cap Runabout that he built himself, even though he always told me that he could not work with wood if he tried. Ron came back to the sport in around 1997 or 98 with a rented motorhome and some classic outboards that he displayed in Sydenham, Ont. Over the next few years to date I have watched Ron grow his collection to one of the most perfect and pristine groups of vintage racing motors you will ever see. I also watched Ron grow as a boat racer, different boats, motors, props the usual changes but then it got serious as the "D" Canadian class grew over the last few years the competition grew. Ron last year won the CBF high points awards for both "D" stock hydro and "D" Mod hydro with that came a combined award given to both Ron and Dorothy for their commitment to the sport.

I cannot say enough about this man, I loved racing with him, working with him, learning from him and mostly just being able to call him a friend.

Ron loved this sport, the fellowship, the bench racing, the guitar playing and of course his favourite race course next to sydenham being waterford and the tri-oval.

Life is not fair and as many are taken away from us way too early, Ron was certainly one of them. He still had so many plans, ideas and projects to finish. I have commited to Dorothy that I will help make as many of those projects a reality.

So In Closing. I would like you all to post a little story or a pic or two about Ron and I will gather them all and give them to Dorothy as a keepsake as she does not get on-line to read this site very much.

Good-bye my friend I will cherish our short time together - until we meet in that first turn above.

With Love,

Dave Scott
    20-CE

I will post further Memorial details as soon as they are available.
    Dave Scott
    Aim Marine Inc.
    613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
    Ottawa, Canada
    http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
    DS(M)H - 20CE

on behalf of the Fishers Landing Racing Club

I would like to extend our deepest sympathies on behalf of the Fishers Landing Racing Club. Ron and Dorothy supported our races and we were lucky to have known him and share the good times.
    Our thoughts are with his family and friends during this most difficult time.

Lori Neumann

Comment

I am not sure what say , Dave's post is very good . Ron was one of the people helped me to get started in the D Classic by selling me parts where a lot of people hold on to them . Once I got to run with pack Ron was a guy I didn't mind going into a turn with , we both had to go to work Monday morning .I pray for his family and hope to meet him in the first turn above. Mike
      Mike Ounjian

Comment

The Sparkle

As I contemplate this sad news, a cool Sunday morning breeze blows through. I picture the man on our beach at the fairgrounds. The glimmer of the ripples on the Mississippi so much like the glimmer of sunlight off his Merc's.

White T, black braces, cool shades, good hair. A nod of encouragement, a friendly laugh, some sound advice, some hard driving.

I go to visit that beach now to reflect on the man and his passion.

God Speed Ron, God Speed

Randy Dodd
        SPEED-SPRAY-ACTION !!!

Comment

sadly I have never met Ron. we have had some boat business and I can say that he was a very fair and honest Man. My deepest sympathies to all.
          Steve Johnson

Comment

The Good Man’s Gift

God seems to have a chosen way of taking those so young, into his hands to walk with him, yet leaving their lives undone.

To us it seems so selfish yet, we try to think of hope, sometimes all that we can do is remember, cry and cope.

God had a plan that chosen day and took time to prepare, a way that he could take that life, yet be thoughtful, just and fair.

Although our thoughts are of him still, we think of days gone by, he’s walking now with God you see, in Valhalla way up high.

He helps in ways he learned through us, he shares our ways and dreams, God knows his choice was the perfect one, but only Ron knows what he means.

There’ll be a day for all of us when our judgement day arrives, we’ll stand before that mighty man who created all our lives.

He’ll welcome us with open arms, he’ll have all he needs to know, "Racing moulds a fine strong man, Ron Collins told me so".

So if you dream of what’s up there in that world away so far, there’s someone who’ll remember you, and has told him who you are.

Jeff Lytle—July 2005
            Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 02-21-2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Ron

Ron is also well known to members of the AOMC, being active in the Thousand Islands, and Maple Leaf chapters. His stuff was always first class, everything ran, no saw horse queens in his trailer.
              He most enjoyed displaying at the bi-annual Race Boat Regattas at Clayton, NY. My last chat with him, at our recent race in Almonte, he was telling me of his progress with his Entrop R14, and one of the last authentic M75Hs
              in NA. I assured him I would have my Jones cabover ready, to display along side him, at the 2006 'RBR'. But now, that is not to be. Time waits for no one.
              Ron set the bar high for us, in racing, and in life.
              He will be fondly remembered, but sadly missed.
              Attached Files
              Brian Hendrick, #66 F
              "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Our deepest sympathy to his family and loved ones.

Comment

Very sorry to hear

I am very sorry to hear this sad news. I met Ron when I purchased the burnscraft hydro from him back in Feb 2003 (pic posted by Brian Hendrick). When I picked up the boat, it was amazing to see the passion he had for old racing mercs and hydroplanes. His pride and joy was his older round nose D hydro, in perfect condition. He had a lot to say about that boat. I'll never forget that day.
                  http://www.infoblvd.net/sah/outboard5.html

He was always pleased to offer advice when I was setting up my motor. A great guy who will be sadly missed.

Dave Garriock

Comment

I received the news at the Valleyfield regatta last evening, and it was a devastating moment for my entire family. I only knew Ron through racing over the past years. Ron was a happy go lucky guy who loved racing and being with everyone. He was always available to lend a hand to anyone who asked.

At Long Sault this fall we will pay tribute to Ron, by reserving his favourite pit spot that he showed up so early in the morning to get. I will also reserve his campsite, and our Saturday night party will be held there so we can all share a few beers and laughs, just like Ron would probably want us to do.

SO Ron although I did not know you that long, it was a pleasure to have simply known you.

To Dorothy, our heartfelt condolences on your loss.

Bob, Diane and Jonathan

"Abbott Racing"

Comment

R.I.P. [race in peace]

l first met Ron in 2001 when l got back into racing.He was always eager to lend me a hand, or even his boat to race when mine was broken!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Guys like that are rare.The pits won"t be the same without you.Dorothy...................BIG hug from RACHAEL & ME

Comment

Dorthy

It is very hard to say anything at a time like this. Ron and Dorthy are the best. Ron loved the sport of boat racing and was always willing to help you in whatever way he could. Ron would lone you anything he had and all of his stuff was second to none. I loved the partys after the races at the Collins motor home. Ron was a good man and he will be missed by everyone who had the pleasure to know him. I am so sorry Dorthy be strong Ron is at peace

Comment

i was also at valleyfield when hearing the news and although i barely knew ron he was a great person. my condolences go to dorothy and the family
                          Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

Dorothy and Family

Please know that many of us are thinking of you. Ron will be truly missed by all. We will miss his visits and telephone calls , and his friendy smiles along with his friendship. Lori will miss her hugs.
                            Our condolences The Webster Family and Lori

Comment

Ron Collins - 36ce

We all want to be a feirce competitor and a nice guy,...
                              Ron Collins was both.
                              We all admire someone who is the life of the party and all business when it's business,... Ron Collins was both.

On the rear of Ron's race trailer printed in bold print is the words, "Come Race with Us" followed by his phone number.
                              Everywhere Ron & Dorothy Collins went they promoted Outboard Racing and Sportsmanship.
                              Both Ron & Dorothy won the 2004 CBF Award for Committment to Outboard Racing.
                              As the 2004 High Points Champ in both DSH & DMH Ron was a man to look up to on and off the course.
                              Committment, Sportsmanship, Friendship and a really funny guy.
                              I will always look up to you Ron, as anyone I know that has met you agrees big guy.

As editor of my clubs newsletter, "Torc Talk", I welcome any stories on Ron Collins "the man" and Ron Collins "the racer" for a future issue.

Jim Misener 53ce
                              seagulllawngarden@sympatico.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X