Why do you go to a new race site???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you go to a new race site???

Marine Racing Club and Badger State Outboard Association have locked in a new race site this summer in Rochelle, IL. It's at the intersection of I-88 and I-39, so many of you have seen the lake....

For years, we have driven by the lake on the way to Rock Falls and DePue and new it would be a great place to race. The race is scheduled for July 23-24, and we want it to be a huge success. The town is already very involved, and there are plenty of hotels and restaurants in the area. We need to make sure we get a lot of boats to put on a good show.

So, the question is...."What motivates you to go to a new race site?"

Let us know your comments so we can help make this a great race!

Thanks,
    Mike Pavlick
    225-V

motivation

the fact that it is a lake, a perfect sized one at that, plus the race committee needs to have control over the lake. That would motivate me to go to a new race site.

Mike - does Rochelle meet this criteria?

Bill III
    Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

The first thing I look at is how far of a drive would I have to get to the race site. I try to stick within a 5-6 hour drive one way. Next, what classes are being run. Finally, how will the competition be? I love competition.
      Joe Silvestri
      CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
      JH/JR

Comment

Joe,
        I hope Rochelle is within your 5-6 hour window. It should be a great race!

We will be the only boats on the water and with the size of the lake, we should be able to make a course slightly smaller than DePue.

The race is a couple of weeks before Nationals, so it will give everyone a chance to get their final tune-up before Dayton.

We plan to have good competition in all classes, and I'm sure you will have good competition for your CSH and CSR (20ssH?)!

Hope to see you there.
        Mike

Comment

Hopefully NEW means racing into the future

I really enjoy new sites because it gives us a chance to expand the number of people that come in contact with our great sport. There are places I have been going to for years and will continue as long as I can, but a little variety helps make things a little more interesting. The sad part here is that one of our kids picked that weekend to get married and I have to miss the race. Is that a bummer or what?

Comment

Prize money and parties! That will always draw people in!!
            "I don't want to just live life, I want to live an extraordinary life." - Kevin Ladd

Comment

Mike,

There is no doubt that there will be some very good competition at this new race site you are getting together! Unfortunately, this site would probably be a 9-10 hour drive for me, defiantely to far for a weekend. Good luck with the new site and I hope I see you along the river bank some time this summer.
              Joe Silvestri
              CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
              JH/JR

Comment

Zanesville Ohio, 23-24 July

Gents,
                So many races....so short the summer ! For some of us in Regions 3 & 6 Zanesville is a closer race. The Indiana Outboard Association is the hosting club. They do such a great job! The race card will feature a full schedule of Mods, J's , and selected Stock classes. We think of ourselves as a 'new' race site because the past 2 races have been in the Fall after the Dillon Lake State Park has been closed to swimmers. The weather has not been favorable. This year the park has allowed us to have the race course in prime summer weather. The pits are on a wide, hard, crecent shaped beach. The entire north end of the lake is just for racers. The milling area is pretty much off the course (sorta' like Dayton) so smooth water should be available all day. Course is oriented north/south and the course is protected from prevailing southwest winds by the hills on the west shore (like Franklin).
                We have a couple of sponsors already lined up and should have a few more by race date. The Park has cottages and about 140 wooded campsites for motorhomes and such. This should be a great race and we look forward hosting Stock, Mod, and J racers. Thanks Mike Marshall, raceboat61-S

Comment

Conflicting Races

Personally I think it is great to have races the same weekend in adjoing regions.

Good luck to your Region 7 race in Rochelle, you are right, that is one nice piece of water. If it is the one I am thinking of, AOF hosted a race there many years ago. That might have been Moline I am thinking of too, can't recall. AOF also raced in Effingham IL, Cedar Rapids IA, and a few other areas in IL.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Everyone.
                    Thanks for your responses.....keep the ideas coming!

Mike

Comment

Forgot to Answer...

What motivates me to a new site is peomoting the race with enthusiasm, and living up to the word once there.

Nothing worse than getting to a new place and then having to move all your stuff around........

The people is one thing that draws me, if it is a good bunch of fun people that have a good rep putting it on, I will go to the race that most likely will allow me the most fun in the weekend.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

So Dave...

What way will you be heading that weekend ? East or West ? Petey Nydahl & I can provide plenty of "Blue" yourself/compadres.
                        17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Heading East

Zanesville is closeronly a few hours, and IOA is putting it on. Being a member of IOA I feel somewhat obligated. I think it is like NAC's or Divisionsals to ???? I thought I read that somewhere, but to many Blues cause me to forget..........

I am also a Board member of TRORA, so between the two clubs I try to support all their respective races.

Put that race on an off weekend in like September and I will be there, Empty Can Coolie in hand !!
                          Dave Mason
                          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                            If it is the one I am thinking of, AOF hosted a race there many years ago. That might have been Moline I am thinking of
                            Must be Moline you're thinkin of. AOF hosted a race there many years ago. Moline is about 2 miles from my house.
                            The lake in Rochele has never been raced on. Unless you count canoes
                            (I don't )

Comment

55v...

Jeff,

Bring Loren Waters w/you...I am sure you know him.
                              17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Working...
                              X