Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato water ?

I recently aquired a 102 for Ms Julie to test/ race
    I really like the idea of having a section of hose run up the side of the boat where it will be easy to see if enough water is pumping. my ? is . If using in -line hose connections will this restrict water flow to a bad level? what size ID hose should be used. would oversize be better? is some level of restriction good? Also what cyl head temp do these run at. I'm not real comfortable about this water issue. I've raced 20 some years, I can see all sorts of trouble with a rookie. even at the APBA ht. restriction I never was sure if I was getting enough water.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    P.S. we don't intend to be serious compitition here
    If you want to answer off-line
    sj77g@aol.com
    Thanks a bunch

Ideas

Hi Steve,

I ran a hose up near the throttle when I was testing for OSY 400. It gave me a good read as to when I was pumping enough H2O. I ran a hose that was the same i.d. as the hose I normally ran on the motor...just a lot longer.

With the height restristions in CSH, I think you will probably have no problem with pumping if you are at, or below , the height limit.

Hope this helps,
    Sean

Comment

now this is dangerous, anyone who would take the advice of this Augustine would have to be challenged mentally, Look at the photo in his respone, would you really trust this guy?????

Comment

Funny!

Freddie,

Thanks - you started my day with a big laugh! When are we going to see you this summer? Raleigh?

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by fred tyson
          Look at the photo in his respone, would you really trust this guy?????

His photo looks fine to me
          I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
          The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Steve,
            As much as I hate to agree with anything Sean says, (and it really hurts to say it) but he is right.
            I run a hose all the time and have for several years. I run the hose right up the steering cable and tape it to the deck beside the throttle. Works great. I run a hose with the same ID as the OD of the top hose. I leave the bottom one alone.

One word of caution, be careful how you tape the hose. I have been known to not give it enough angle towards the sponson and have, once or twice, had hot Yamato water pouring out all over my throttle hand. Let me tell you, on lap 3, you are almost begging to run out of water

I have always wanted to figure out a way to use it like a squirt gun and squirt the competition (namely Sean and Ian) but have yet to come up with a reliable method. Maybe in '06.
            Brian 10s

Comment

augustine photos

well as usual it gets worse, the more Augies you see you often wonder what is wrong with this world. Now all we need is apicture of Dave Sr and some of those darn poka dot Sid Crafts ,or copies of them, just donot post a phote of Grr on here whatever you do, To answer the question yes at Raleigh most definatley, maybe if I have enough money left for gas after figuring what it is going to cost to go to Sturgis may try to come to Depue..

Comment

Augustines Runneth Over...

...to complete the Driver Portfolio of the Augustine Family Album. From Sharptown, Maryland 2004. Taken by Austin Ritchie or Mark Ritchie.

With apologies to Steve Johnson for being so far off-topic.

Upper Left: Gary Augustine
                Upper Right: Dave Augustine, Sr.
                Lower Left: Ian Augustine

Maybe we should just give the Augustines their own forum?
                Last edited by Mark 72@E; 05-09-2005, 05:52 PM.
                @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                72@E
                Former Boat Racer
                21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
                20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

just when you think it is safe to go near the water, another one appears, and on shore at that, noone is safe anymore....

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all for the water replies , Ive all my ? answered except the Cyl head temp thing. I figure that one out on my own eventually. as far as off topic let- er- RIP

Comment

back in the old days we ran a heat temp gauge as there were no safety nazis and height police and we could reach our own limits. I used an ordinary digital multi-meter with large 1 inch digits and a K-type temperature input. The K temp measurement probe is simply two wires bared and twisted together, clamped under the spark plug washer. Total cost was under $40 and it worked great. The meter was mounted on the dash top so you didn't have to turn your head and refocus your eyes to see if water was flowing. And it showed meaningful differences. The motor will run hotter and slower each lap when you're at the real height limits. We finished races at 417 and stuck it at 420, never had any scuffing when it finished at 410 or less. When running at those temps, it was always essential to come off plane immediately after the finish line, then getting up on plane again to refill the engine with cool water. Water flowing at all times will not let it get that hot so this give the absolute limits better.

Comment

Digatron Heat Gauge

I have stuck 102's twice both time when I looked down the heat guage read 430. This seems pretty consistant with what Sam reported.

Hope this helps.

Later,
                        12M

Comment

I have stuck my 302 at 400 degres twice on a large course, (1 mile and larger) now I set my digatron at 385 degres to flash. Anything higher than 3/4 inches above the bottom of the boat from the center line of the prop can be dangerous. All props will pump differently!
                          MIke

Comment

I've never used a heat gauge with my Yamatos, but have not been able to get any higher than 3/4 below with the 302's. I've tried a couple different things to counter this though. One, I moved the transom back 2" to set the pick-up tube further in the water and I bought my Z-Craft because it rides high on the nose barrying the pick-up tube. Ultimately, different things work on different boats and different props. I may try my heat guage this summer in my new CSH. I'm glad you guys posted the temperatures so I have something to use as a guage.
                            Joe Silvestri
                            CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                            JH/JR

Comment

Working...
                            X