Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-75 south road warning!!!!

Just in time for Ocoee!

Just south of the Kentucky state line, I-75 south has started to slide off the mountain. There are two marked detours, 25W and state 297, both which are bad. This is hill country and there are no other choices. Plan on using lots of time to get from southern Kentucky to Lake City, TN.

When you get to Knoxville, stop for gas, help the local economy.
    " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
    Art Pugh

Good grief!

An interstate highway slides off a mountian! If I was the main contractor that designed/built that section of road I'd be booking a flight to country without extradition.

And once y`all make it past that mess beware of fog zone on I-75 north of Chattonooga. If those fog warning lights are flashing back off - waaay off!
    carpetbagger

Comment

The interstates

were built back in the 50's and I suspect the Army corps of engineers would bear the responsibility, but after 50 years it's hard to guarantee anything.

Comment

75 Was Not Completed Until (i'm Guessing)early 70's In Ky. There Was A Lot Of 2 Lane And Waiting In Traffics While They Blasted The Mountains To Build New Road.

Comment

early 70s sounds right . . .

I know I-40 in NC ended at before the climb over the mountains and continental divide in the late 60s, and I don't believe they finished that leg and the section west of Ashville to Knoxville until much later - maybe 80s or even early 90s. Tis a screaming B making roads in them thar hills.
          carpetbagger

Comment

why pick on the contractor...

[QUOTE=Bill Huson]An interstate highway slides off a mountian! If I was the main contractor that designed/built that section of road I'd be booking a flight to country without extradition.

Pick on the civil engineer that engineered the road..The contractor only builds what is on the blue print....

as a union equipment operator I hear this all the time... Just remember before it gets built some engineer whom probably has never worked in the dirt engineered it... And probably didnt intend on mother nature soaking the moutian with rain...

Just look at all the houses that slide off the moutian in califorina... and they still build the there every day..

Living in the great state of michigan with the wonderfull frost our roads suck!!! POT HOLE CITY...If its not pot holes its the orange barrels...

Job security for Me

Comment

[QUOTE] "Pick on the civil engineer that engineered the road..The contractor only builds what is on the blue print...."

har har ... and HAR! Back in the early 60's I was a VDOT highway inspector. Yeah, scarey, huh -- buncha college kids the last line of defense for highway construction safety. Anyhoo, me'n another kid were walking the bridge beams on the RT 7 overpass over I-495 when Butch kicked a bolt head with his boot. It rattled. We go what's up with that? And then pluck the so-called anchor bolt right up. Then we ask the boss man, "Are these supposed to do this?" (holding bolt aloft) I swear his hair stood on end, and lemme tell ya, the builder got a serious tail whipping and a mondo fine.

I could go on -- all the loads of bridge pillar concrete that flunked slump and entrained air testing that would have ben poured anyway if us snotty college dweebs hadn't asserted our authority. After the third flunk-truck inna row the concrete plant owner showed up in his cadillac, side pockets of his coat hanging low from the weight of Virginia Gentleman pints, and breath fumey enough to light up a PRO engine, and pitched a hissy. We had to call the freaking police do drag him off.

But I will say the equipment operators were way cool. The gas compnay was notorious for mistating the grade level of their lines, and a D-8 CAT operator had an array of gas symbols on his cab -- one for each off-grade gas line he'd snatched. The day after he hooked a 20" main that was 2 1/2' above grade we had a party while he added a real BIG gas symbol. And the back hoe operator had his laughs too. While digging a hole for a sewer box he snipped a fat cable with a zillion phone wires in it. We checked all the drawings but none showed a line there. Huh? Then a buncha 4-door black sedans show up and the suits pile out. Seems the line wasn't on the prints cause it was a CIA secret line from Mclean to a secret building in the boonies. Much razz from the back hoe guy. Today he would have been interred in Gitmo Bay, but back then the suits got red faces and tore if in their 60's equivalant of the Black Helicopters.

As for I-75, mountains and swamps are just plain nasty places to build a road. Even if everyone does the job right, Motha Nature can still bite you in the tail.
              carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
              X